Greetings Ultimate Guitarists,

I'd like to get my six string (or one of them) down to Drop G. I'm currently using 13-65 (DR DDT) on my six string, which goes from Drop C all the way to Drop A. When it's in Drop C it's tight, a bit too tight for my liking, but not "it's about to snap" tight. When it's in Drop A, all the strings are alright except the low E. The other strings should be tighter, but they hold tuning stability decently. The low A stays in tune for about five minutes, then it becomes flappy. I was considering a custom set from Stringjoy with these gauges (E - 15 | B - 19p | G - 24p | D - 46 | A - 60 | E - 72). I got this string gauge set by counting the spaces between the 13-65 (DR DDT) set, but starting at 15 instead of 13. I did go two gauges higher for the D, A, and low E strings, which might give a better feel. I know that's a lot to read, but I tried to give sufficient information. So here's my question, will my 15-72 set be good for Drop G?

Thanks for any help!
Really depends on scale length and a tension you are comfortable with.
I got a couple of links for ya though.
http://hikkyz.net/misc/stringassembler/

https://www.stringjoy.com/guitarstrings/strings/electric-guitar-strings/drop-13s-guitar-strings/

Hope it helps. Took me a few sets to find one myself in drop B.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
If I were you I'd just get a 7 if possible. I was looking into doing something similar with my 6 and seem, not only would I need the obvious heavy guage settings, but to sound right likely some guitar mods to even get strings that low to sit right.
yeah, i always have to do some editing of the nut on new setups.
D'Addario EXL117 which are 56-11. In drop b.
I imagine it would be a little more involved with strings that thick.
RavenWest 1000Q/Schecter neck
ibanez RG3EXFM1 /Dimarzio Evolution
Martin Stinger ST-4 /Kona Strat neck
Martin Stinger ST-2
Squire DG-9 acoustic
Jay Turser JT Slimmer
Bugera 333
2x12 homemade cab
Marshall AVT150H head
B-52 4x12 cab
Last edited by kenshi1967 at Oct 16, 2016,
kenshi1967 don't take me wrong.... whatever you figure out I'd love to hear the final result.....i personally just get paranoid about mistaking modifying something and messing up just by a hair.....i wanted to do the same with my Jackson for drop b but was just scared to mess something up
i would get a bari if you are going that low. C#std is as low as i go with a 25.5". i only have three out of 20 guitars droptuned and i use (.013"-.066") on them, i tried lower once, it just didn't work well overall, setup was done proper, but it was just too floppy, didn't stay in tune as well, hard to get to intonate much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup you know, now that you mention it, I know he only went to a, but head used a 6 string baritone recording his solo album, and dropped that low still sounded excellent. Most people didn't realize that because in the videos he had his 7 string on him.
Quote by kramer242
trashedlostfdup you know, now that you mention it, I know he only went to a, but head used a 6 string baritone recording his solo album, and dropped that low still sounded excellent. Most people didn't realize that because in the videos he had his 7 string on him.

I would go bari over seven any day. but 25.5" isn't enough to go that low from my experience.

27" scale length is much nicer in that register.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/