I am looking for advice on what pedals I should look into for completing a pedal board for metal that will give me access to a larger variety of guitar tones and allow me to add interesting effects to certain riffs/solos/etc. I am playing some of all kinds of metal, but focusing on stoner/doom (Electric Wizard/Sleep/Crowbar), death (Amon Amarth/Kataklysm/At the Gates), and black metal (Marduk/Satyricon/Mayhem). I rarely use cleans.

Currently I have a Peavey 6505 minihead (has a reverb setting) with a Maxon OD808 overdrive and Boss NS-2 noise suppressor that I use for most stuff I play, as well as a Boss FZ-2 for stoner doom and Boss HM-2 for some death metal. I have 2 guitars with EMGs. My plan is to slowly buy pedals below over the next year or so.

As far as price, I am willing to spend a bit more on overdrive/fuzz/distortion pedals that would generally be used for entire songs for certain styles. For effects pedals that are used here and there, I would prefer to target stuff I can buy used for around $100 or less per pedal. I am in the US, and will likely buy stuff from reverb/guitar center/etc.

Pedals I am thinking about getting:
More general fuzz: Black Arts Pharaoh (I have also looked into some other Black Arts fuzzes, Earthquaker Hoof,
and Blackout Effects Musket, and I will likely buy multiple fuzzes in the future)
Other overdrive: Black Arts Quantum Mystic (looks interesting since I like YOB, but not quite sure how helpful it would be)
Delays: MXR Carbon Copy and Boss DD-6 (would give me one analog and one digital)
Phase Shifter: MXR M101 Phase 90
Flanger: MXR Flanger or Micro Flanger
Wah: Dunlop Cry Baby
EQ: MXR 10 Band EQ M-108

1. Are there any pedals that I should look into buying that might be better than the ones on this list or ones I already own?

2. Are there any other distortion pedals that would give unique sounds aside from the HM-2 (for the Swedish death metal/chainsaw sound) that would be worth looking into?

3. Are there any other effects pedals that make riffs sound more psychedelic or interesting in some way and work well when used with distortion/fuzz that would be worth getting? I figure these types of pedals would be most useful for stoner/doom metal.

4. Are there any other types of pedals that I overlooked that might be worthwhile for metal?

Thanks!
The EQ is of paramount importance for a 6505. Make getting that pedal your top priority as they're useful in every possible situation you'll come across.

I would also recommend a phaser that gives you more control than a regular Phase 90, like a Keeley Phase 24. Sometimes you don't want to have a very loud phaser.

I would also suggest getting a chorus like the MXR analog chorus. I prefer their versatility over the relatively limited usage of flangers.

I also suggest getting something that isn't a massive tone sucker like the Dunlop Crybaby. like the Dunlop 535q or the Morley Bad Horsie if you prefer switchless wahs and don't care for cocking wahs in 1 position.

Fuzzes I can't comment on because I'm generally not a massive fan of the effect.

I also suggest getting a reverb pedal like a TC HOF as it'll give you the ability to create some very atmospheric effects that'll be very relevant for the sort of tones you're going for. I might be tempted to dump one of the delays just to have such functionality on your pedalboard.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 16, 2016,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

(a) I would also suggest getting a chorus like the MXR analog chorus. I prefer their versatility over the relatively limited usage of flangers.

(b) Fuzzes I can't comment on because I'm generally not a massive fan of the effect.

(c) I also suggest getting a reverb pedal like a TC HOF as it'll give you the ability to create some very atmospheric effects that'll be very relevant for the sort of tones you're going for. I might be tempted to dump one of the delays just to have such functionality on your pedalboard.

(a) I dunno. I'd agree that I'd tend to use a chorus more than a Flanger, but a decent flanger (at least one with a lot of knobs) can get a ton of different non-flanger tones. There was a good article a while back in the tone report online magazine (it's free online, do a search for it, it was issue number 92), using the suggested settings in that article with my EVH flanger I could get most of the modulation type effects I'd want- if I had to stick to one pedal, lol.

The EVH one is pretty nice too if you can find one for cheap on a deal (I did, I wouldn't pay full price for one as it's very expensive), since with the unchained button you can have your regular flanger tone (assuming the unchained tone is your regular flanger tone, lol) and then dial in something else on the pedal for another tone on the fly (which is pretty handy since flanger controls can be quite confusing). I wouldn't pay tons more for it or anything, but if you can find one for a similar price to the regular m117, it's worth considering.

also i'd add that, while the micro flanger does sound very nice in its own right, i couldn't really get the evh unchained thing out of it. it doesn't have the range of tones which are available on the m117 (or evh- i've only tried the evh but i think they're the same thing bar the wee "unchained" button), if that's important.

(b) lol

(c) that's a very good point. Unless you really need the analogue thing, a good digital delay with a decent analogue model as one of the settings would likely get you close enough.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 16, 2016,
If you are looking for a distortion box for the very, very heavy stuff; take a look at Wampler's Triple Wreck. It sounds great, but retails for about US$250.00 new and has a somewhat big footprint on your pedal board. Still; if you're going for that "Ninth Circle of Hell" heaviness, it should suit you very well.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
you can definitely do better than a Cry-Baby Wah so I'd do a little more homework on that (I'm a Morley guy myself so perhaps start there). do you actually need a flanger and a phaser.? while both fx turn up in songs here and there I'd ask myself whether it's enough to put them on the board (I love phasers so I use them but honestly if I had to leave something off that would be it) look past MXR for either though as there are many options. having digital and analog delays may be great in say shoegaze but for metal I don't really see the need. I might lean more toward digital myself for metal as it works a little better for fast leads.

Fuzz well get the nastiest one you can for Electric Wizzard (what do they use? ) and you may want to consider a Pro Co Rat for the death metal stuff
@T00DEEPBLUE – I was wondering how important an EQ pedal was for the 6505, so I will move that to the top of my list. Do you know if there is a good resource for guidance on how to set EQ for both the amp and the pedal to get different tones? Setting 10 knobs on the pedal and 3 on the amp seems like it could be tricky.

I will look into your suggestions for the phaser, chorus, and wah, the added versatility over my original options sounds good. I saw some people mention elsewhere that choruses are mostly used for cleans – do they also work well with heavy fuzz/distortion? Is it just trickier getting them to sound good with fuzz/distortion?

I had assumed that the reverb in my amp was good enough, but looking at the TC HOF, I guess the added options would be helpful especially given how much doom and black metal I am playing.

@Dave_MC – I found the flanger article and it looks like I can probably get the EVH pedal off of reverb for $100 or less if I am patient. I was originally thinking about the micro flanger since I wasn’t quite sure how useful a flanger would be, but it would be fun to have access to some of the stuff described in that article, so I will look into the EVH.

Would the Boss DD-7 with the analog mode be better to look into instead of getting both the DD-6 and Carbon Copy (at least for now)?

@FatalGear41 – Will the Wampler Triple Wreck give me distortion sounds that I can’t get with just the Peavey 6505? I saw people comparing the Triple Wreck to Mesa Boogie distortion on some other threads/message board. Having access to a variety of very heavy distortion sounds would be good. Maybe I can find a place around me that has one I can try out with my amp.

@monwobobbo – I will check out some of the better Dunlop and Morley wahs. Any suggestions on Morley wahs that I should look into? I haven’t used a wah before.

I figure the phaser and flanger pedals would be nice for adding variety to riffs, especially for stoner/doom type stuff, which I have been playing a lot of lately. I was originally leaning towards getting some of the cheaper ones that I could find for around $50 used, but some of the ones others have suggested sound like the added options might be worthwhile.

Electric Wizard uses the Boss FZ-2 (at least for Dopethrone) so I am good for that sound, but my understanding is that it’s a bit of a one trick pony, so I am trying to find a more versatile fuzz for metal.
Quote by xStingrayx
@T00DEEPBLUE – I was wondering how important an EQ pedal was for the 6505, so I will move that to the top of my list. Do you know if there is a good resource for guidance on how to set EQ for both the amp and the pedal to get different tones? Setting 10 knobs on the pedal and 3 on the amp seems like it could be tricky.

Setting a 10-band EQ optimally is time consuming because they're such powerful tools. There's guides out there on what settings people use, but to ask that question is a bit like a newbie asking what the best amp settings to use to sound like Slash when he's playing through a Line 6 Spider - that's just not how it works. Everybody uses different rigs so any settings that people recommend are likely not going to be helpful for your particular situation. The best thing you can do is exercise trial and error. It takes time but it's totally worth it and it's all part of the fun.
I will look into your suggestions for the phaser, chorus, and wah, the added versatility over my original options sounds good. I saw some people mention elsewhere that choruses are mostly used for cleans – do they also work well with heavy fuzz/distortion? Is it just trickier getting them to sound good with fuzz/distortion?

They can work however you want them to work, my friend.

Again, how well chorus works with high gain entirely depends on what gear you're talking about and how you're using it. But chorus can be used to make leads sound more present and to add modulated texture. Many people think they're just there for a warbly clean sound, but that's a narrow view. They were used a lot in 80's hair metal along with modern prog to great effect to add a surreal violin-y texture to a lead sound. At least if it's done tastefully.

But you need a chorus pedal that has a level control at the very least to do this. You don't need nearly as much chorus as you think you need on a lead tone. Otherwise it just sounds really cheesy and dated. The MXR Analog Chorus is an excellent pedal for doing both things as it has a level control and a basic EQ as well as the typical depth & rate controls you'll find on typical choruses like the Boss CE-2. It's an awesome sounding pedal and it's even well priced.
I had assumed that the reverb in my amp was good enough, but looking at the TC HOF, I guess the added options would be helpful especially given how much doom and black metal I am playing

If you think its good enough, don't let me stop you from buying what you want. But I would've thought that for the kind of bands you like, having the ability to use lots of atmospheric reverbs would be a benefit to you for stuff like doom & black metal.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 16, 2016,
Quote by xStingrayx

I had assumed that the reverb in my amp was good enough, but looking at the TC HOF, I guess the added options would be helpful especially given how much doom and black metal I am playing.

@Dave_MC – I found the flanger article and it looks like I can probably get the EVH pedal off of reverb for $100 or less if I am patient. I was originally thinking about the micro flanger since I wasn’t quite sure how useful a flanger would be, but it would be fun to have access to some of the stuff described in that article, so I will look into the EVH.

Would the Boss DD-7 with the analog mode be better to look into instead of getting both the DD-6 and Carbon Copy (at least for now)?

@FatalGear41 – Will the Wampler Triple Wreck give me distortion sounds that I can’t get with just the Peavey 6505? I saw people comparing the Triple Wreck to Mesa Boogie distortion on some other threads/message board. Having access to a variety of very heavy distortion sounds would be good. Maybe I can find a place around me that has one I can try out with my amp.

@monwobobbo – I will check out some of the better Dunlop and Morley wahs. Any suggestions on Morley wahs that I should look into? I haven’t used a wah before.

I figure the phaser and flanger pedals would be nice for adding variety to riffs, especially for stoner/doom type stuff, which I have been playing a lot of lately. I was originally leaning towards getting some of the cheaper ones that I could find for around $50 used, but some of the ones others have suggested sound like the added options might be worthwhile.

Electric Wizard uses the Boss FZ-2 (at least for Dopethrone) so I am good for that sound, but my understanding is that it’s a bit of a one trick pony, so I am trying to find a more versatile fuzz for metal.

for starters Fuzz tends to be a one trick thing various pedals have their sound and that's it. fuzz can be controlled from the guitars volume knob and that is often where the variety comes from. you can get something like a Zvexx Fuzz Factory thast does have a variety of fuzz types. honestly I don't associate fuzz with metal all that much past some of the stoner/doom bands. as Diabolical mentioned an EH Big Muff may be useful although that pedal leans a bit more toward distortion than actual fuzz (still was used for a fair bit of 70s metal)

I use either a Morley Classic Wah or the Power Wah myself. either will work fine for your needs. if you don't need parked wah sounds (wah set at a particular point and then turned on but not moved, think Michael Schenker) then perhaps a Bad Horsie would be a really good option.

as I mentioned I love phasers myself but you may find them of limited use for the really heavy metal stuff (see song Valley Of Gwangi found in link in my profile for example of my phaser use in a heavy song). I might be more inclined to pick one of the other for now and see how it goes. flangers can give you some cool sounds for heavy riffing.

an eq is a good idea and yes it may take some time to tinker with settings they also make a very useful boost for leads. chorus is usually used for more clean tones and can get lost when paired with heavy distortion.
For what it's worth I like the TC Electronics pedals. With their TonePrint option you can tweak and customize to your heart's desire.

Try the chorus up front and in the loop. I like it up front more for metal thickening. I use a MXR Black Label Chorus up front - same as the MXR Analog Chorus (light blue one) - it's instrument level only and my Mesa doesn't like it in the loop.

And don't forget about the crunch channel on your amp. Crank up the gain and hit it with a good boost with your 81 (I like a Budda Zenman - clean boost and overdrive in one case - two footswitches).
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quick post (I'll add more later) on pedals:

1) the Keeley Phase 24 is a very good phaser, and was recently discontinued. They're clearing out their their own stock for $129.

https://robertkeeley.com/product/phase-24

2) If you're looking at the Triple Wreck, also consider the Empress Heavy, the Emma Pisdiyowat or the Okko Dominator Red or Black.

3) The EQD Hoof or Hoof Reaper are good fuzz options. BAT's Pharaoh, LSTR & Black Forest are all good, too, as are their dual fuzz combo pedals, the Sarcophagus and Coven.

4) The Subdeday Starlight Flanger is what I use currently:
https://subdecay.com/effect/starlight-flanger
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
cmatmods phaser and chorus are fantastic pedals that you can find used at $100 a pop. miles ahead of the mxr units.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
oh and the zvex mastotron is a beast.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

It’s good to hear that the chorus has some versatility and can be used effectively for some forms of metal at least, I will look into getting one and experiment with it.

Also my previous response wasn’t very clear, but I definitely agree that I should get a reverb pedal, more options to customize my tone when using reverb would definitely be worthwhile. There is a part of me that is trying not to go too crazy with buying pedals, but it seems like there are many that are worth getting, so I will probably end up with a decent sized collection.

Also does anyone know if there are any music shops in the Midwest US that have a really large pedal collection where I could try out a larger selection of pedals? Most of the shops near me have a fairly limited selection. It would be nice to compare pedals before buying to see what I like the most, especially for distortion and fuzz. I can make a day trip to Chicago and a few other large cities, and end up traveling through other Midwest states from time to time.

Also I appreciate all of the pedal suggestions so far, I will try to look into all of them.
Another notable Keeley is the Bubbletron. It combines phasing & flanging options.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
part of the whole scenario of 'boutique' pedals is most you won't find a place to try them. educate yourself as much as you can and take your best shot
if you buy used, you generally won't lose much on resale. I have probably bought 30 higher end pedals and have only been let down once or twice. which i think is pretty good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Another fuzz you might dig, the Catalinbread Perseus:

alhaq369
Chase Bliss & Catalinbread also have nice flangers.

alhaq369