I am a very new player, infact just a month I've been playing on an acoustic and I am looking for guitars and amps for Christmas. I would get a starter kit for about £100, but I feel like the sound will put me off playing. The guitar I want is a epiphone les Paul special VE, ebony. However I'm not sure about amps. I was going to get a Marshall mg30cfx for £150, but I read they are terrible along with all other mg amps. So which amp should I get?? I also considered a line 6 spider v 30w, but everyone said they are terrible too.
What genre are you looking to play?
Overall I'd say cheaper decent amps (in this price range all you get is decent):
Yamaha THR10 or the THR10 metal, Roland Cube, Orange Crush or Micro Terror.
Used, maybe Marshall Class5, sone kind of Jet city, Laney LC15.
diabolical I want to play metal music, e.g alter bridge, RATM, velvet revolver. Songs like that I want to learn
Peavey Vypyr if you're going new is about as good as you'll get. Get one with at least a 12" speaker, I think the Vypyr 30 does.

If you're going used, you might be able to get something from Jet City.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
the jury is still out on the Line 6 spider Vs so I wouldn't rule them out yet. Peavey Vypyr/VP series will work for sure though.
korinaflyingv If you sell me your Laney AOR, how would I buy it and would it be able to get shipped to the UK I you live in the US?
The Aor is a god amp, might need overdrive for it but it's great otherwise, I own the 30 watt head.
Otherwise, look at the THR10 metal combo or THR5, small, easy and flexible:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup
Quote by jackstrh
korinaflyingv If you sell me your Laney AOR, how would I buy it and would it be able to get shipped to the UK I you live in the US?

I'm in the UK, St Albans, a bit north of London. If you live really near I could get my dad to drop it off with you but if not you'd have to collect or pay for a courier. In terms of payment, paypal, bank transfer, cheque in post or cash would all be acceptable.
And it works fine, I'm just desperately trying to get rid of it as I already bought a new amp. If you want properly nice cleans I'd look elsewhere but it's great for overdriven sounds.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Oct 17, 2016,