I am a very new player, infact just a month I've been playing on an acoustic and I am looking for guitars and amps for Christmas. I would get a starter kit for about £100, but I feel like the sound will put me off playing. The guitar I want is a epiphone les Paul special VE, ebony. However I'm not sure about amps. I was going to get a Marshall mg30cfx for £150, but I read they are terrible along with all other mg amps. So which amp should I get?? I also considered a line 6 spider v 30w, but everyone said they are terrible too.
What genre are you looking to play?
Overall I'd say cheaper decent amps (in this price range all you get is decent):
Yamaha THR10 or the THR10 metal, Roland Cube, Orange Crush or Micro Terror.
Used, maybe Marshall Class5, sone kind of Jet city, Laney LC15.
diabolical I want to play metal music, e.g alter bridge, RATM, velvet revolver. Songs like that I want to learn
Peavey Vypyr if you're going new is about as good as you'll get. Get one with at least a 12" speaker, I think the Vypyr 30 does.

If you're going used, you might be able to get something from Jet City.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
the jury is still out on the Line 6 spider Vs so I wouldn't rule them out yet. Peavey Vypyr/VP series will work for sure though.
korinaflyingv If you sell me your Laney AOR, how would I buy it and would it be able to get shipped to the UK I you live in the US?
The Aor is a god amp, might need overdrive for it but it's great otherwise, I own the 30 watt head.
Otherwise, look at the THR10 metal combo or THR5, small, easy and flexible:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/thr/?mode=series#tab=product_lineup
Quote by jackstrh
korinaflyingv If you sell me your Laney AOR, how would I buy it and would it be able to get shipped to the UK I you live in the US?

I'm in the UK, St Albans, a bit north of London. If you live really near I could get my dad to drop it off with you but if not you'd have to collect or pay for a courier. In terms of payment, paypal, bank transfer, cheque in post or cash would all be acceptable.
And it works fine, I'm just desperately trying to get rid of it as I already bought a new amp. If you want properly nice cleans I'd look elsewhere but it's great for overdriven sounds.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Oct 17, 2016,