Hello
So about a year ago i bought the Randall head and i love it so far, but i kinda want some more gain. I was wondering:
-What power tubes does it accept? ( really want some 6l6's)
-How do i bias it?
-what tubes do you guys recommend for more gain?

Thanks in advance
tubedepot.com for tubes.

JJ's are hard to go wrong with.

you don't really need higher gain tubes. IMO there is no point. you're amp has more than enough gain. i would stick an OD out in front to tighten it up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ yeah, i just went to the randall site and it said it uses 6v6es.

best bet is emailing randall to ask them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
So would changing out the tubes change much or not really? And i just wanted to upgrade seeing as it does have crappy ruby chinese tubes. And i want to find out if ti does need biasing really
A tube change will change the amp's sound a bit, it might open it up, give it more clarity, might make it a bit darker or brighter, sometimes make it fatter sounding, gives it more punch, bite or even gain and volume... Of course it depends on the quality difference between the old set and the new set and how much mileage the old ones have.

And like the guys above me set it's a 6V6 amp, so you cannot use 6L6s.

Couldn't tell you about biasing (there's no info about it in the manual or randall's official website), but I quick google search took me to TGP where a guy was mentioning biasing it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i just went to the randall site and it said it uses 6v6es.

best bet is emailing randall to ask them.

I have that amp and yeah it's 6V6. But the thing is that it has the same preamp as the 45 watt version, and also those amps were built while Mike Fortin was the amp designer for Randall. I'm friend with him on facebook and I can tell you that you can certainly ask him if you can put in some other power tubes in it. Usually you can't, but (I'm really not sure on this) it seems to me that I actually heard him saying that you can. He likes to invent lots of new stuff for amps and his designs are awesome so it's possible. Best to ask him, he always responds to those kind of messages, even tough he doesn't work for Randall anymore. But the main purpose of changing power tubes would be to increase power of the amp, if you're not after that, I don't see a point in doing that.

I still have stock Ruby tubes in mine, and I love how the amp sounds. And yeah, you will have to do bias if you change power tubes. Of course, bias is not needed when changing preamp tubes.
This is a list of all the modern 12ax7 preamp tubes and the new mullard 12ax7 has the highest gain factor. But this list also helps show the tonal differences also
https://www.tubesandmore.com/tech-corner/12ax7-comparison-current-made-tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want more gain pickup a Budda Zenman - it's a clean boost and overdrive in one case - 2 footswitches. You'll get more results by hitting the preamp harder vs slight differences in 12ax7 gain factors assuming your amp and tubes are working correctly.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Thanks guys, i think il just stick with the 6V6's for now and just chuck in some new pre-amp tubes. Dont really want to start mucking about with the biasing and that. Thanks a lot for all your help!
Quote by JackovSlayer
I have that amp and yeah it's 6V6. But the thing is that it has the same preamp as the 45 watt version, and also those amps were built while Mike Fortin was the amp designer for Randall. I'm friend with him on facebook and I can tell you that you can certainly ask him if you can put in some other power tubes in it. Usually you can't, but (I'm really not sure on this) it seems to me that I actually heard him saying that you can. He likes to invent lots of new stuff for amps and his designs are awesome so it's possible. Best to ask him, he always responds to those kind of messages, even tough he doesn't work for Randall anymore. But the main purpose of changing power tubes would be to increase power of the amp, if you're not after that, I don't see a point in doing that.

I still have stock Ruby tubes in mine, and I love how the amp sounds. And yeah, you will have to do bias if you change power tubes. Of course, bias is not needed when changing preamp tubes.

yeah i guess asking fortin would be a good idea as well
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.