Page 1 of 2
Hi,

I am going to buy either Multy effect Processor or Stomp Box setup.

Can you please suggest me which would be better ?? and if stomp box setup can you please mention the basic stomp that i need to buy for start ??
Waiting for your kind reply.
Thanks,
Sakib
There is no 'better' setup. If one approach was clearly better than the other, then every manufacturer would only sell effects in that single format.

What kind of effects do you want? What bands are you trying to emulate? What is your current rig setup? What is your budget?
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
+1 to TOODEEPBLUE

However:
Quote by cowboy14
if stomp box setup can you please mention the basic stomp that i need to buy for start ??

The fact that you've included this statement indicates to me that you're still learning and maybe don't have any defined goal in mind. You probably also only have a basic practice amp? If that's the case, definitely don't spend money on individual stomp boxes, until you have a decent amp they won't help you much.

That being the case, I'd recommend a multi effects unit that you can experiment with. Get something like a Zoom G3/G5 or Line 6 POD and you can experiment with all the different effects as well as trying them through different amp models. That will give you a great starting point for what to look for when you are ready to spend some serious money on a new amp and any pedals you'll need for that amp.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

I'd recommend a multi effects unit that you can experiment with. Get something like a Zoom G3/G5 or Line 6 POD and you can experiment with all the different effects as well as trying them through different amp models. That will give you a great starting point for what to look for when you are ready to spend some serious money on a new amp and any pedals you'll need for that amp.

This makes far too much sense. Are you SURE you're a guitar player?
^ lol
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by kabadi.man
get a multi effects stompbox like the zoom G3 (Guitar) or B3 (Bass).

It can have any 3 effects in use simultaneously and you can individualy swap them out for other inbuilt effects. Once you have more experience and know what effects you found you needed the most, then you can go out and buy better quality single effect stop boxes at a later date.
It allows 6 effects simultaneously after a free firmware update. Some DSP restrictions though.
Quote by cowboy14
Hi,

I am going to buy either Multy effect Processor or Stomp Box setup.

Can you please suggest me which would be better ?? and if stomp box setup can you please mention the basic stomp that i need to buy for start ??
Waiting for your kind reply.
Thanks,
Sakib
+1 to the G3 for now. It has a lot of features for the price, and has professional uses as well. I imagine you would not need to use it with a physical amp, especially if you are using the G3's amp modeling. Just use headphones.
Multifx for starters so you can learn, maybe even last generation of the top multifx used, like Pod hd500 or Boss GT-10 used as they offer lots of options. The Boss can be used in stompbox mode, not sure about the HD, but for their price used you're most likely to get some gimmicky little thing new.
Quote by dspellman
This makes far too much sense. Are you SURE you're a guitar player?

With enough effects to hide what you're really playing, anyone can be a guitar player!

Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Agree with the MFX path, either floor or portable device. (I favor the latter.)

But realize it's not a binary choice. There's nothing wrong with using a MFX device with stomp boxes.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by Will Lane
It allows 6 effects simultaneously after a free firmware update. Some DSP restrictions though.+1 to the G3 for now. It has a lot of features for the price, and has professional uses as well. I imagine you would not need to use it with a physical amp, especially if you are using the G3's amp modeling. Just use headphones.

I love my G3X. When using the amp modeling software, I play it through a powered PA speaker. Sounds great. When I want to fire up my tube amp, I can custom pick any 6 effects I want which is more than I need for my playing style. My pedal board has been leaning against my basement wall ever since I purchased this thing.
it's all about what you need.

for starting out, MFX all the way.

later on its what works best for you. I haven't used a MFX for a long time, but my uses don't really need it. I use a wah, OD, fuzz, chorus and a delay. I don't need to do much tap dancing. but i am used to it and does all i need.

all in all, the most important part is that it works for you.

but to start i would say mfx.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
it's all about what you need.

for starting out, MFX all the way.

later on its what works best for you. I haven't used a MFX for a long time, but my uses don't really need it. I use a wah, OD, fuzz, chorus and a delay. I don't need to do much tap dancing. but i am used to it and does all i need.

all in all, the most important part is that it works for you.

but to start i would say mfx.

agree with one caveat. if you are really new to guitar I highly recommend that you learn to play for a while before getting into fx past basic distortion. MFX units are a great way to learn about the various fx but they are also a huge distraction as there are so many options these days. you can litereally spend days just making silly noises (I know I have) with them and not really accomplish anything.

in the end it really is about need. I run a very simple setup and have 4 fx pedals and that's it. out of the 4, 1 gets a lot of use 2 others get a fair bit of use and the last gets occasional use. others run a more complex setup for which MFX make far more sense and of course as mentioned you aren't limited to one or the other you can use both. often players prefer to run an overdrive unit in front of their amp and use the MFX in the loop for time based fx.
T00DEEPBLUE My current Amp is Marshall MG15Fx, My guitar is Carvin Jb200c (Jason becker Signature). I mostly try to cover Jason becker and Marty. And i dont have enough idea about Processor / Stomp .. My previous one was Line 6 Hd 300 but i sold that one before buying this guitar now i want to buy something again .. i want to buy something below 400$ that why asking
GaryBillington My current Amp is Marshall MG15Fx, Yes thats basic. My guitar is Carvin Jb200c (Jason becker Signature). I mostly try to cover Jason becker and Marty. And i dont have enough idea about Processor / Stomp .. My previous one was Line 6 Hd 300 but i sold that one before buying this guitar now and i was not happy with that .. button problem on my unit also on my bandmates used same processor he got problem too ... i want to buy something again .. i want to buy something below 400$.
CP-20 "Crazy Cacti"Overdrive Guitar Is this good ?? Price seems very low .. And if i buy stomp .. what i need mainly ?? One overdrive, reverb, acoustic simulator, delay ... is there anything else ?? Sorry i have very little knowledge about pedal / effects ... i never researched about that ...

Also do i need overdrive and distortion padel both ?? Sorry if my question is idiotic ..
Quote by cowboy14
GaryBillington My current Amp is Marshall MG15Fx, Yes thats basic. My guitar is Carvin Jb200c (Jason becker Signature). I mostly try to cover Jason becker and Marty. And i dont have enough idea about Processor / Stomp .. My previous one was Line 6 Hd 300 but i sold that one before buying this guitar now and i was not happy with that .. button problem on my unit also on my bandmates used same processor he got problem too ... i want to buy something again .. i want to buy something below 400$.

If you've tried Line 6 & didn't get on with it, I'd definitely recommend checking out a Zoom G3 or G5. Excellent pedals that are really easy to use.

Something to note though: You would probably be better off using the multi-effects unit through headphones and using the on-board amp sims. Using your amp will make the Zoom sound like your amp, and as it isn't a very good amp you'll get a hugely improved sound with just the Zoom.

Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
diabolical Yeah me 25 is great .. .i had plan to buy me 80 .. but just now i dont have enough money :P .. so may be will go for Zoom G5 or Me 25
Quote by cowboy14
diabolical Yeah me 25 is great .. .i had plan to buy me 80 .. but just now i dont have enough money :P .. so may be will go for Zoom G5 or Me 25
TBH I would not bother with getting the G5n. The G3 will get you where you need to go without investing too much in a bit of kit. If you buy used you'll save even more money. If you need an expression pedal for Wah or other effects like that, you may want to get the G3X which has a built in expression pedal.
Quote by cowboy14
CP-20 "Crazy Cacti"Overdrive Guitar Is this good ?? Price seems very low .. And if i buy stomp .. what i need mainly ?? One overdrive, reverb, acoustic simulator, delay ... is there anything else ?? Sorry i have very little knowledge about pedal / effects ... i never researched about that ...

Also do i need overdrive and distortion padel both ?? Sorry if my question is idiotic ..

word on the net is that that's a cheap fulltone fulldrive clone. I haven't tried it (nor the original) so I dunno what it's like, but that's what it's meant to be at least.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Save your pennies up and buy a Axe FX II XL , You wont buy another amp , pedal , cab or fx unit again. That is all.
^ Probably because you won't be able to afford another amp, pedal, cab or fx unit again

Seriously, though, I mean I've never tried them and maybe they are all that, but they're awfully expensive if they don't do what's claimed.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by GaryBillington
With enough effects to hide what you're really playing, anyone can be a guitar player!

That's certainly how *I* get on...
Quote by 6BQ5
Save your pennies up and buy a Axe FX II XL , You wont buy another amp , pedal , cab or fx unit again. That is all.

Nah. As soon as the Axe FX III comes out, you'll be getting all spendy and GAS-y.

I've got an Axe-FX Ultra. It's like having a two-generations-back iPhone.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 29, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
That's certainly how *I* get on...

PREACH!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
Quote by dspellman
Nah. As soon as the Axe FX III comes out, you'll be getting all spendy and GAS-y.

I've got an Axe-FX Ultra. It's like having a two-generations-back iPhone.

That's what I was going to say, too. Say what you want about tube amps, but they're not going to be obsolete technology (or at least not any more obsolete than they are already) in the near future. Maybe modelling will hit a point (and maybe it's already there already) where it's "good enough" objectively that you don't need to upgrade to the newest version- but those high-end modellers are pretty expensive when you consider that in 18 months' time there might be a new model out which is better, and yours is now no longer "good enough"...
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

I find all modelers get to a point where my ears are tired of hearing them, there's always something artificial in that sound. I am basically using a floor multifx modeler as a midi controller and effects, don't use amps sims on it anymore. I still managed to pick out real live amps vs modelers with IR off the same chain in a blind test so I think I can hear the difference.
BTW, modelers are just about to bury and make tube amps obsolete all the way back starting in 1988 or thereabouts, first it was Digitech, then it was Rocktron, the POD, now AxeFx and tube amps are still just as viable
chasing MFX is like chasing the pink dragon.

you will always want new/better.

for example, drop the money on high dollar software, and it is great. one year later, if you are lucky enough to get a new version you pay big bucks for the upgrade. if you are not lucky enough, you need to rebuy the whole 'new package'.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
chasing MFX is like chasing the pink dragon.

you will always want new/better.

for example, drop the money on high dollar software, and it is great. one year later, if you are lucky enough to get a new version you pay big bucks for the upgrade. if you are not lucky enough, you need to rebuy the whole 'new package'.

Yeah, totally agree with you. All software also wants to report to the mother ship too, almost like they crash on purpose and force you to update. Cubase and Amplitube did that. Amplitube update to version 3 surprisingly was free.Cubase wasn't...

The new pay as you go rental is also "awesome", you never own your software, you're leasing it.
Quote by diabolical

BTW, modelers are just about to bury and make tube amps obsolete all the way back starting in 1988 or thereabouts, first it was Digitech, then it was Rocktron, the POD, now AxeFx and tube amps are still just as viable

Yeah. I mean, just because it wasn't true then doesn't necessarily mean it's not true now, but at the same time it does make you wary. "You were saying this 20 years ago and it didn't come true, what's different now?"

I haven't tried any of the really high-end modellers, so I don't know what they're like. I have a little vox mini 3 for mucking about on, and it's remarkably nice for the price (super cheap), but it doesn't compare to the real thing either.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Considering I can still buy turntables for my LPs, as long as the right kind of tubes are made, I suspect there will be amps using them. Assuming those SS tube emulators don't keep improving...

alhaq369
6BQ5 Seems like price is 2200$ ??? Hahaha .. I am fan of JB since 2006.. I saved money since jb200c released in 2013 .. and finally bought it on last month ... i am not rich enough to put too much money on my music (( so no way .. Thanks for your great suggestion btw
Thanks all of you for all your suggestion ... .Probably i will go for Zoom G5n
Quote by cowboy14
6BQ5 Seems like price is 2200$ ??? Hahaha .. I am fan of JB since 2006.. I saved money since jb200c released in 2013 .. and finally bought it on last month ... i am not rich enough to put too much money on my music (( so no way .. Thanks for your great suggestion btw

Nice score on the Carvin that will last you a long time. Despite what the others have said the Axe FX II XL is not the Ultra. yes it's alot of money but when you consider what a good amp or two costs ya then throw in a few pedals, Attenuator, speakers swaps , tube swaps ect ect you are already there in price or more.
I have several fine vintage amps , have sold many off over the years. I will keep a couple of them only because i built them but i'm getting rid of the rest , the Axe FX II is really that good. Get what you can afford , the AX8 is also a great choice for a grand less.

If someone offered you a storage locker filled with 250+ tube amps and speaker cabinets for 2300 would you buy it?
Last edited by 6BQ5 at Nov 3, 2016,
Quote by 6BQ5

If someone offered you a storage locker filled with 250+ tube amps and speaker cabinets for 2300 would you buy it?

Don't confuse the issue, it is more like storage locker of around 80% of the original tone and response of these amps and life span of about 5 years or so
Quote by 6BQ5

Even I would have to seriously consider that.

alhaq369
Quote by diabolical
Don't confuse the issue, it is more like storage locker of around 80% of the original tone and response of these amps and life span of about 5 years or so

Yep that's the point. If it did genuinely sound exactly the same, then it's a no-brainer. Does it genuinely sound the same, though*? That's the big question.

(*I dunno, I haven't tried it )
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Nope...it doesn't sound quite the same. I can still pretty much pick out the difference in a raw track. Everything is getting so synthetic though, 7 string active pickups, drums through triggers, vocals tuned, drums grid aligned that maybe it doesn't matter enough...who knows.
Page 1 of 2