It matters, but technique matters more. Buckethead is 6'8" or so, Kaki King is @5'3". Both use custom guitars but also standard (albeit high-end) production guitars. Vigilante Carlstroem is another big guy- over 6'- but often plays relatively small guitars.

The key is, of course, finding a guitar or guitars you're comfy playing and practicing with them.

There ARE guitars with longer scales called baritones, and guitars made for larger hands by companies like Jericho, both of which may feel more comfy to you. But try the standard sized guitars first.

Oh yeah, thank you for your service.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
for starters damn dude that was the most long winded thing I've read here in a while. lets try to just ask the ? and leave out a lot of crap that doesn't matter in the future.

anyways danny is correct you just have to find a neck that works for you. Jimi Hendrix had huge hands and it didn't stop him from playing.
Quote by monwobobbo
for starters damn dude that was the most long winded thing I've read here in a while. .

I think the username is an alternate for someone "else" who was here recently who did the same thing. Same grammar, same everything. Mental constipation, verbal diarrhea.

Hand size? Doesn't really matter. I learned to play piano at five years old. Very small hand size. Current hand size is XXL, and I've figured out how to maneuver around guitars with 1 9/16ths" nuts. I *do* try to make sure the action on my guitars is very low (helps keep me from engaging strings on either side of the one I intend), and I do feel a bit more comfortable with wider string spacing (if I can get a 1 3/4" nut width, I'm really happy) and with 25" scale and above.
dspellman Thanks for the answer, though your mental constipation, verbal diarrhea comment was uncalled for, and unnecessary. Also, I've never been in this forum before.
dannyalcatraz monwobobbo thanks, I'll make a note, actually I'll just save the page . Have a good one guys.
Last edited by Gfeid at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by Gfeid
dspellman Thanks for the answer, though your mental constipation, verbal diarrhea comment was uncalled for, and unnecessary. Also, I've never been in this forum before.

Of course it was uncalled for and unnecessary. What was missing was the emoji that was supposed to go with it. But come on -- the whole off topic ramble about a gun dealer and the military and somebody's girlfriend ? Not germaine, not necessary, not to the point.

I think we could have gotten the message with," I have really big hands."

My hand spread is like yours; C to the F above the next C on a piano is a clean arch. You can learn to play any guitar (or mandolin) with a bit of time and practice, but for a starter instrument, something with very low action, a slightly longer scale (a strat with a 25.5" scale, for example, rather than a Les Paul/SG with a 24.6" scale) and probably a fairly flat fretboard (look for a 14" radius rather than a 7.25" radius) will help.

In terms of learning technique; try to keep that thumb planted in the middle of the back of the neck as much as possible; don't learn bad habits (flipping the thumb over the opposite side of the neck will be easy for you and you'll find yourself lazily using the back of the neck to engage forearm muscles, but neither of those is good practice. Ignore how many rock musicians do it. Learn correctly. Keep your guitar neck up (don't bother with the guitar around the groin business) and you'll avoid having issues with arthritis and repetitive stress injuries.
dspellmani tweaked my initial question just a bit. Edit, thanks very much for the tips, especially on avoiding hand problems, i'll try to learn strict technique.
Last edited by Gfeid at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by Gfeid
dspellmani tweaked my initial question just a bit.

dude if you really want help great but so far you're not impressing me. you want to be taken seriously then act like it.
I can see how having bigger hands can be an advantage. Some people that have longer fingers can maybe stretch and fret things that might be a bit more difficult to somebody with smaller hands but at the end of the day technique is the most important thing. Poor technique is much more limiting than having small hands IMO.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
monwobobbolighten up dude. Yes, i want help otherwise I wouldnt have taken the time to search for this forum, post a question, and check results. I'm not trying to impress anyone, and IDGAF about your opinion if you're going to cop an attitude over a joke. i thought musicians were supposed to be friendly and cool. If you're going to get your panties in a knot, just don't bother reading this thread, m'kay?
H4T3BR33D3Rthanks for the answer dude. I'll be heading out tonight after work, taking the advice of dspellman and dannyalcatraz. I'm glad i don't need to spend the bucks for a custom guitar.