when i play powerchords (right handed), my index finger mutes the other 5 strings, and my third finger isn't muted.

In Jimi hendrix style (upside down), how did he play powerchords. Does the ring finger not mute the index? try it yourself.

anyone who plays guitar upside down like jimi please try a powerchord and explain to me
Jimi Hendrix didn't play the guitar "upside down" - he played a flipped-over right-handed guitar with the strings reversed so the low E was still physically at the top of the fretboard.

Nobody plays "upside down" - more to the point Hendrix barely used powerchords.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Jimi Hendrix didn't play the guitar upside down. He played leftie with a right-handed guitar strung left-handed.

However, there are guitarist who play upside down i.e. guitar strung right-handed played left-handed. Albert King is probably the most famous one who does this. There's also a modern blues guitar player who plays like this but I cannot remember his name right now, I'll edit once I remember. Also, there's a Rob Chapman or Rabea Massad video of them in a guitar store where the store owner plays like that as well.

I guess you can check out those videos to see how they plays chords? But I'd garner if you can play a C shape chord then surely you can play an upside-down power chord.

Edit: -

Remembered the dude's name, it's Eric Gales.

And here's the aforementioned video

Last edited by Arron_Zacx at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by Arron_Zacx
Jimi Hendrix didn't play the guitar upside down. He played leftie with a right-handed guitar strung left-handed.

Now I feel stupid
Eric Gales - plays upside down and he is one of the most ferocious rock players on the planet - he's a sight to behold!

Albert King was the first to really go there - in each case it gave them a unique attack and tone. Eric Gales has some pretty far out techniques and voicings.
I'm not sure Jimi played many power chords either. Iommi did during the same era but Jimi often played inside chords or simple triads in his lead/rhythm style. A very unique player in that time period.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
We should have a thread on upside-down guitarists. Elizabeth Cotten, fingerpicker, famous in my generation and genres for "Freight Train".

I was talking to one a year or two back in my mate's music store. He was a fingerpicker, and it created a good, distinctive sound.
I don't think Hendrix used many power chords, most of his rhythm parts were usually full chords. Som epower chords I'm sure, but not much.

Another upside down player is Doyle Bramhall, who played guitar in Eric Clapton's band for a long time. He could pick up my right handed guitar, flip it over and play it left handed. Weird to watch, but he's a good guitar player.

Here's a random video I looked up, Doyle is on the far left, then Derek Trucks, JJ Cale and Eric Clapton.

Sorry, not much guitar there, how's this

Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 25, 2016,
I know two people who play upside down.Both blues players.One's a slide player.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues