Citizens of UG,
All the ballots have been cast, all the votes have been counted. The people have spoken.

And the winner is... k.lainad!

He assumes the office of Acoustic & Classical Guitar moderator and will receive all the privileges and responsibilities today. Long may he reign!  

Thanks to all the nominees and the electorate for supporting democracy on UG.

And now, it's time for the moderator inauguration speech. k.lainad, please, tell your loyal supporters what you're up to now.

We observe today not a victory of party but a celebration of freedom--symbolizing an end as well as a beginning--signifying renewal as well as change. For I have sworn before you and Almighty UG the same solemn oath our forebears prescribed nearly a decade and three quarters ago.
UG is very different now. For moderators hold in their mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human shitposting. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the internet--the belief that the rights of posters come not from the generosity of the moderators but from the hand of UG.

This much we pledge--and more.

In your hands, my fellow UG'ers, more than mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this sub-forum was founded, each generation of UG'ers has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty. The graves of young shitposters who answered the call to service surround the internet.

And so, my fellow UG'ers: ask not what your sub-forum can do for you--ask what you can do for your sub-forum.
My fellow citizens of the deep web: ask not what UG will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of guitar music.
Last edited by k.lainad at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by k.lainad
We observe today not a victory of party but a celebration of freedom--symbolizing an end as well as a beginning--signifying renewal as well as change. For I have sworn before you and Almighty UG the same solemn oath our forebears prescribed nearly a decade and three quarters ago.
UG is very different now. For moderators hold in their mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human shitposting. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the internet--the belief that the rights of posters come not from the generosity of the moderators but from the hand of UG.

This much we pledge--and more.

In your hands, my fellow UG'ers, more than mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this sub-forum was founded, each generation of UG'ers has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty. The graves of young shitposters who answered the call to service surround the internet.

And so, my fellow UG'ers: ask not what your sub-forum can do for you--ask what you can do for your sub-forum.
My fellow citizens of the deep web: ask not what UG will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of guitar music.

Congratulations on your election, (I suppose), and welcome as moderator of the A & C Sub-forum.

I'm thinking that, in the same terms as leaders through the ages have clamored for, "the war to end all wars", your inaugural address was, "the shitpost to end all shitpots". I'm sure the sirocco which bore it to us, was tongue in cheek in nature.

Ave Imperator!

Couple of points though. The members who "work" in theses forums no longer, (did they ever?), receive any recognition for their efforts on the behalf of the seemingly endless stream of pilgrims and supplicants who traverse these paths. Upper management seems to deem simple assistance worthless, (This judging by the manner in which the point system was rewritten). Or perhaps the site's haste to update, has caused that fact to be somehow lost on its developers.

It happens that power is both an intoxicant and aphrodisiac, treat it with respect, and please do, meet it out wisely.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 21, 2016,
Captaincranky

I thought I had been sin-binned when my IQ points dropped from 600+ to 60. I'm still not sure how the system works, but it seems to have something to do with tabs and/or responses to your threads.
Tony Done

They had a system before which you could basically "game", especially with "questionably useless" posting to the pit. All you had to do for points, was to start an argument That created a thread which was almost guaranteed to continue for more than 10 posts, the number at which points were awarded. That's been changed, along with numerous other criteria for having points awarded to a member.

My objection, with either point system is, they fail to take into account the work that members, (including myself), put into answering questions and helping other members. My POV is, that's what gives to site value and base line traffic. Also, I think the rewards for creating tabs has been reduced, but I absolutely could be wrong about that.

Meh, I"m here for the "fun of it", and I suppose I can come and go as I choose. That said, I don't really expect accolades for helping out either.

Any internet forum has its own set of foibles and failings. They are what they are. Thus, I'm offering anything I might have to say, as an "observation", rather than a "suggestion". "X & Y are what I think is wrong, but I'm not claiming to have that, "magic bullet", which is going to make it all better..

I suppose it could also be opined that the "currency standard has changed", making a point worth more than it was before.
Captaincranky

This "like" thing is a great temptation, but it is all social manipulation*, which I would rather have no part of. That was one of the strengths of Usenet IMO, no moderators, everyone equal and entitled to their say.

Someone in the IT told me that they are using this "like" thing in China to enforce social conformity. Job application success is apparently related not only to the individual's scores, but also those of his friends.
Quote by Tony Done
Captaincranky

This "like" thing is a great temptation, but it is all social manipulation*, which I would rather have no part of. That was one of the strengths of Usenet IMO, no moderators, everyone equal and entitled to their say.

Someone in the IT told me that they are using this "like" thing in China to enforce social conformity. Job application success is apparently related not only to the individual's scores, but also those of his friends.
Well, last things first. I don't think either one of us is at an age where we're going to looking for a job, let alone worrying about whether or not a prospective employer is going to be evaluating our performance on social media sites.

As for the rest of your post, it doesn't take into account that the, "end of the world isn't nigh", it's already happened. Mankind, foolish as it is, can't see the dust settling from that end, through the air pollution. The human species exists in a massive cognitive dissonant state, where no one should be killed in an accident or die of disease, war, hunger, or alien invasion, yet there are already 3 times as many of us a the earth can comfortably deal with.

OK, that was a bit tangential. However, "likes" have to be taken in different contexts, in different situations. In a more intimate setting such as a topical forum like this, they can serve to say, "good post", "thanks for the help", "wow, that was hilarious", "glad you showed up when you did".

"Likes" on YouTube are a different matter altogether. There, people are using in an attempt to monetize their postings. Which I suppose isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't carry the more altruistic nature of a "like" offered in a venue such as this.

ADDENDUMB: The "Likes" here at UG don't appear to be cumulative. You're notified when one happens for you, and that's the end of the matter. I suppose that could be a good thing, as it prevents anyone from "keeping score".
Captaincranky

I guess I'm (even?) more of a dinosaur than you. I won't use a smartphone for anything except phone calls, and I will have nothing to do with social media like Facebook. I do watch Youtube a fair bit, mostly for old stuff, but all the inaccurate superlatives and photoshopped thumbnails are starting to aggravate. With regard to "likes" in a forum such as this, I would rather just add a comment to the thread, but that might cause too much unnecessary clutter.
You guys are so well-behaved (because you're old and boring, let's be honest ) that the only use for a moderator is to delete the occasional spam thread
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
I dunno man, the Seahawks v. Cardinals game is about to come on
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Quote by Dreadnought
You guys are so well-behaved (because you're old and boring, let's be honest ) that the only use for a moderator is to delete the occasional spam thread
Sadly, the life cycle of aging trolls mirrors that of aging humans. Once we find a good, habitable bridge to haunt, instead of growling and charging tolls, we curl up under it, go to sleep, and snore.

Besides, God knows, we do need plenty of beauty rest:

Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 24, 2016,