Hello
Looking for a good punchy amp for practice. To play over drums.
Can be tube or ss I don't care. Can be used

I don't wanna spend more than $100 for it.
Playing a American strat through it. Music Mostly Rock, alternitive, grunge, punk
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
good luck. afraid you're gonna have to up your budget some to get an amp that can be heard over drums. you might want to check your local Craigslist (or whatever you may have long those lines) and maybe you can find an old Crate or a SS Peavey but don't expect much.

you have a nice guitar why would you want to play thru such a cheap amp?
Used peavey vypr 30, spider iii 75W 112.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Hit the garage sales. Maybe you will get lucky and find a HRD for sale dirt cheap. Otherwise plan to spend more like $300 used for a decent practice amp that doesn't sound like ass. Peavey Valve King, Classic 30, Marshall DSL 40, Traynor, might get it done?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by Maidenheadsteve
Used peavey vypr 30, spider iii 75W 112.

good thoughts but the vypyr 30 would have a tough time keeping up with drums. pretty sure both amps go for over $100 used unless as mentioned you find them at a garage sale or the like.
Used Peavey VIP 2 - 40 Watts. Check out the Budda model. Guitar Center has them used for $95 - $120.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
ty for advice. I can get a spider 2 30w or a orange 20w for 100 but I don't think that will work. I have amarshall dsl40 I just don't wanna lug it to practice everyday kno what I mean?
$120 would be ok

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Don't know anything about the Orange but the VIP is leaps and bounds above the Spider 2.

Buy it used and sell out for what you paid if it doesn't work out.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
look into a used oranhge micro terror/dark or a randall diavlo 5 watt head. both should get you there.
Ibanez VBT700
Schecter Traditional Custom (Black Winter)
Orange Micro Dark
Line 6 Flextone 112
Big Muff
MXR Micro Amp

Squier Classic Vibs 70's Precision
Ampeg BA110V2
The $120 budget makes things a bit complicated. Maybe something like an old Valvestate 50 watt and up, like the Valvestate 65R, like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marshall-AVT-50-Valvestate-2000-Combo-Pre-Owned-Jorge-Santana-Collection-/262669988437?hash=item3d2859f255:g:lFAAAOSwNRdX~Y~5
well I just found out zzsounds works like qvc so my budget may get bigger
can 5 tube watts play with drums?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Oct 18, 2016,
It depends on the drummer Id say. If your playing rock chances are the drums get pretty loud, so I'd be worried.

Honestly, I'd take the $100 and buy a handtruck or a dolly to carry the DSL40 on and call it done. Half the fun of having a nice tube amp is being able to turn it up at practice. What's the point if it sits at home all the time?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I lnow what ya mean... Dsl sounds great. Just hate lugging shit. Might get a head and cab. I did that before and it wasn't bad. Maybe a tiny terroir? Do they sound like a marshal?

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by diabolical
5 tube watts...that's a maybe...my Class5 can.
i wanted a class5 then
learned they don't make them. If be happy with 10/15 watts tube

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by silly6-string
I lnow what ya mean... Dsl sounds great. Just hate lugging shit.

LOL no pain no gain and for $100-$120 you'll get what you pay for and may find yourself struggling to be heard in the mix.

FWIW the Line6 Spider series are not very good amps from my experience and I think most of the members here will agree, I had a 2X12 Spider III and it was a proper turd.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Evilnine I had the line 6 spider 3 and I can say I enjoyed it to an extent.... no good for playing over drums because with the volume that high the tone really went to he'll, to the point of sounding like blatant muggy trash. I'd personally search around for a used peavey vypyr or something of that nature....for being a comparable amp to the line 6, they keep their tone far better at higher volumes, and if preferred I know there is at least one vypyr model that is tube. It will likely a bit over 100 but the closest thing to that budget I can think of for what you are looking for....as was stated on here earlier, for 100 bucks it may take a miracle to find something to play over drums.
Last edited by kramer242 at Oct 20, 2016,
Quote by silly6-string
Hello
Looking for a good punchy amp for practice. To play over drums.
Can be tube or ss I don't care. Can be used

I don't wanna spend more than $100 for it.
Playing a American strat through it. Music Mostly Rock, alternitive, grunge, punk

A hundred dollar amp for a $1000 guitar. Interesting.

I got tired of lugging my 2x12 combo amp around as well. Heavy. My solution was an amp modeler and a powered PA speaker. You're going to spend more than $100 for that though. I think I have about $600ish in mine and I tried to go inexpensive yet still good sounding.
Quote by Evilnine
LOL no pain no gain and for $100-$120 you'll get what you pay for and may find yourself struggling to be heard in the mix.

FWIW the Line6 Spider series are not very good amps from my experience and I think most of the members here will agree, I had a 2X12 Spider III and it was a proper turd.

I like egnator 15w should be enough.
right now its me and a drummer. So I need to be heard haha

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Quote by diabolical
5 tube watts...that's a maybe...my Class5 can.
nice tunes btw

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4