Hey guys, my wife was looking to learn guitar and wants one for Christmas.
I was considering buying her Rocksmith as well as a guitar and was curious what a good beginner guitar would be since I dont believe they sell the guitar bundle around here.
I have a budget of about 1-200 hundred for just the guitar but can go higher if necessary.

Also do you think it would be better in the long run to just get her a acoustic to learn on?
Quote by screw_ball69
Hey guys, my wife was looking to learn guitar and wants one for Christmas.
I was considering buying her Rocksmith as well as a guitar and was curious what a good beginner guitar would be since I dont believe they sell the guitar bundle around here.
I have a budget of about 1-200 hundred for just the guitar but can go higher if necessary.

Also do you think it would be better in the long run to just get her a acoustic to learn on?

Where are you located, are you willing to buy used?

As for your question on what is better to learn on, it really depends on the kind of music she plays. As much as acoustic and electric are similar with basic chord forms and shapes, there are differences that definitely favor one style of sound over the other. If she is playing rock or alternative or anything that requires distortion, I would recommend going the electric route. If she is playing simple acoustic things and she has no aspirations to go electric, then an acoustic would suffice.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Northern BC, I've looked into buying at Pawn shops as well, it is a option. never sure of quality in that case though
Well what does she prefer playing? Do you have some bands we can reference? Certain sounds she likes and wants to reproduce?

As for pawn shops, you might be able to find okay deals there, but personally I find you are more likely to get ripped off since a lot of pawn shop guys (at least in my area) don't really know much about guitars and tend to overprice them/not take care of them/set them up. So you might save a few bucks initially from a pawn shop, but you might end up paying more in the long run getting one of those pawn shop guitars back to comfy playing order. I would suggest you either buy something new from a bigger chain like L&M or maybe your classifieds (like Kijiji etc...)
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The trick is to get one cheap, because most people don't stick with it. However you want it to be good enough to play and not let the quality of the instrument deter her from playing. Although I typically would suggest used, if your wife is like mine she would rather have a lower quality new than better quality used, for the same price.

What body style are you looking for?
she doesnt know what she wants to play is the thing, my angle is purely from the learning side of things which is why Rocksmith is a attractive idea for me.
She listens to hard rock and metal as well as classical

Edit: not to concerned about body style, can always worry about that if she likes it and wants a better guitar
Last edited by screw_ball69 at Oct 17, 2016,
Quote by screw_ball69
she doesnt know what she wants to play is the thing, my angle is purely from the learning side of things which is why Rocksmith is a attractive idea for me.
She listens to hard rock and metal as well as classical

Edit: not to concerned about body style, can always worry about that if she likes it and wants a better guitar

Well does she listen to metal and rock more than classical? I mean if she is into metal and rock, I would say an electric guitar is the way to go. Another thing to consider with acoustic guitars is a lot of them are purely acoustic and won't work with Rocksmith (and if I recall right, Rocksmith is mostly set up for electric guitars) so you would have to buy an acoustic/electric to even be able to use it in the first place.

Are you just looking to purchase something locally? I mean, if you just want something cheap you can find locally in Canada you could try to find something like a Godin Freeway Classic or maybe even used Fender or an Epiphone and it should be good enough for somebody just starting out but again, it depends on the end goal. If you are able to order online, you can get nice guitars from SX that are a little better than a standard Squier and would be beyond decent as a starter guitar.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
If you go new I'm thinking a Jackson JS32 of her shape and color preference.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Not sure how far you are from Prince George, but they have a long and mcquade there. Even if you have a way to try some guitars out somewhere and then order from there.

I would suggest getting an HSS strat, or HSH strat if you can find one. Versatile guitars for anything.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well what does she prefer playing? Do you have some bands we can reference? Certain sounds she likes and wants to reproduce?

As for pawn shops, you might be able to find okay deals there, but personally I find you are more likely to get ripped off since a lot of pawn shop guys (at least in my area) don't really know much about guitars and tend to overprice them/not take care of them/set them up. So you might save a few bucks initially from a pawn shop, but you might end up paying more in the long run getting one of those pawn shop guitars back to comfy playing order. I would suggest you either buy something new from a bigger chain like L&M or maybe your classifieds (like Kijiji etc...)

Most pawn shops base value from eBay asking prices etc. a quick search of the model online and they set a price seldom considering condition or if it has a case. Hell I have bought guitars from pawn shops via layaway that were marked as having the case and when I paid them off they did not have the case and vice versa I bought a Dean Split Tail that was not supposed to have a case and it had a custom fit factory hardshell most of the time the pawn shop workers are too lazy to go into the back and even look for the case.

The Yamaha Pacifica series is a great entry level guitar on a budget if you can find a place to but one near you.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by Evilnine
Most pawn shops base value from eBay asking prices etc. a quick search of the model online and they set a price seldom considering condition or if it has a case. Hell I have bought guitars from pawn shops via layaway that were marked as having the case and when I paid them off they did not have the case and vice versa I bought a Dean Split Tail that was not supposed to have a case and it had a custom fit factory hardshell most of the time the pawn shop workers are too lazy to go into the back and even look for the case.

The Yamaha Pacifica series is a great entry level guitar on a budget if you can find a place to but one near you.

Maybe where you're from but I personally find pawn shops ask for way more around here. Sure eBay values are available but most of the pawn shops around here don't know/or care about finding what the thing is worth. They are more concerned in finding how much you're willing to pay for something they got at a lowball price.

The 3 pawn shops I've been to around here have none of their guitars set up, ask way too much cash for them and none of the employees knew if they should shit or wind their watch. Personally, if I'm a beginner like OP seems to be, going to a pawn shop for a cheap guitar is a decent way to get screwed over.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Guitar Center is pretty good with used equipment. Otherwise, a new Squire or similar entry-level might be a good move. Obviously, not the greatest, but you can find those in an SSS or HSS configuration for $100 or so (depending on the series), and being out of the box would offer a warranty.
Guitars:
Squire Bullet Strat, Schecter Damien 6, Washburn WG-587 & RX10
Amp/Effects:
Peavy Vypyr 30, ISP Decimator

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Understood- I waste money on amps*, too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well does she listen to metal and rock more than classical? I mean if she is into metal and rock, I would say an electric guitar is the way to go. Another thing to consider with acoustic guitars is a lot of them are purely acoustic and won't work with Rocksmith (and if I recall right, Rocksmith is mostly set up for electric guitars) so you would have to buy an acoustic/electric to even be able to use it in the first place.

Are you just looking to purchase something locally? I mean, if you just want something cheap you can find locally in Canada you could try to find something like a Godin Freeway Classic or maybe even used Fender or an Epiphone and it should be good enough for somebody just starting out but again, it depends on the end goal. If you are able to order online, you can get nice guitars from SX that are a little better than a standard Squier and would be beyond decent as a starter guitar.
It uses the RealTone(TM) piece of shit cable, which is basically an analogue-digital converter, of not great quality.

It's not that hard to find an audio interface workaround if you already have one, though I'm not sure whether UbiSoft 'fixed' that when they did the 'remaster' thing.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It uses the RealTone(TM) piece of shit cable, which is basically an analogue-digital converter, of not great quality.

It's not that hard to find an audio interface workaround if you already have one, though I'm not sure whether UbiSoft 'fixed' that when they did the 'remaster' thing.

Im not too sure but I know a friend that uses an external interface with some sort of workaround. I have nevered owned the game myself so I never really learned it though.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Im not too sure but I know a friend that uses an external interface with some sort of workaround. I have nevered owned the game myself so I never really learned it though.
Yea, I know it can be done, but I just used the cable, because ug me are am cave man buy physical copy.

But last month, there was a pretty big patch, and it broke CDLC - at least until someone built a new .dll - so it might have screwed the workaround, too.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'