So, I've been playing guitar for around 2 years now, and it feels like I've just hit a wall in making progress, it's quite the opposite, I'm getting worse at it, my main problem is my fret hand, it does not have any speed, every time I try to play faster, my fingers cramp up and become just plain useless, I've tried Playing with a metronome, playing scales, learning the neck, speed exercises along the neck etc. All the usual stuff, but so far the "hardest" solo I can play is nothing else matters, which is supposed to be an easy one, and by playing it I mean that I can play it full speed without any fails, but it just feels like it's so little progress compared to my practise, I play guitar everyday (3h a day a while ago) and now about an hour a day because of work, but I'm getting nowhere and I'm trying to play so many different kinds of music but nope! I'm feeling so ready to give up, picking up my guitar just makes me angry because it's every time so hard for me to play something after a long time. So I really need some advice.
Hey Samppzasd,

I know how you feel about not seeing the progress in your guitar playing and getting really frustrated. Most of us have definitely been there, so you're not alone!

My best advice is to do 2 things.
1. Try working on conquering more solos and songs one at a time. Learning music from your favorite artists will inherently make you learn the techniques they use to perform their music. This will help you achieve smaller wins that you can appreciate. Having more knowledge under your belt is way more impressive than saying, "I can play the one hardest solo there is". Don't worry if it's considered easy or hard, it's all about continual learning, which leads to the 2nd point.

2. Don't always closely measure your "progress". Stressing yourself out because you aren't seeing results right away will cause you to stunt your growth ironically. Trust in the process that what you're striving to achieve is coming. If you aren't sure about the path to get there, you might want to consider getting a teacher or look up specific techniques/exercises you need to achieve a specific goal.

Just know that you're always going to be learning and improving, you don't reach some "Rock God" status where you can stop practicing.

It takes quite a bit of patience, but hopefully this advice will help you enjoy the process and the music more.
"Every time you pick up your guitar to play, play as if it's the last time" -Eric Clapton
www.guitareasier.com
HenryGE
Allright, thanks for advice and encouragement, I'm going to try this!
I think actually part of the problem here is that you're trying to play faster, when that's actually not going to work.

It's a pretty common misconception that you can make yourself play faster, when what you actually need to do is play better, which is to say you need to improve your coordination between your hands, you need to make your movements smaller, and you need to relax more.

Now, those things are all difficult, and we can probably help more with that if we can see you play (video is the ideal here), but if you can work on those then your playing will get better and in time you'll be able to play faster. You won't be able to make yourself play faster though, sadly it just doesn't work that way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have been playing slow also, and with as little mistakes as possible or none at all, but it haven't been a lot of help for me, but I will start trying your suggestions here
Quote by samppzasd
Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have been playing slow also, and with as little mistakes as possible or none at all, but it haven't been a lot of help for me, but I will start trying your suggestions here

Were you concentrating on minimum movement of both hands whilst playing slowly?
Quote by samppzasd

Sadly, just playing slowly and not making mistakes isn't really enough; you really do have to concentrate on making your playing as good as possible in all respects. That's almost certainly going to mean slowing down much more than you want to; you need to be playing at a speed where you can absolutely control all of your movements, not just get the right notes in the right place, so you can minimise your movements and make sure you're as relaxed as possible!

Keep at it though, you'll get there in time, it just takes work!

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hmm I see thank you!
Need to do some research for songs etc. That would be good for that!
Quote by samppzasd
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Hmm I see thank you!
Need to do some research for songs etc. That would be good for that!

I really hate to keep sounding like I'm shooting you down, I'm really not trying to, but that said: this isn't at all about songs or anything like that. This applies to anything and everything you play. Everything is good for it because this is about the mechanics of how you play, almost entirely divorced from what you're playing.

Album.
Legion.
Zaphod's hit the nail on the head ... and I strongly suspect you are tensing up as you start thinking of playing at speed ... which stiffens your hands. You really need to look out in tiny detail for tension in hand movements (but chewck for jaw, shoulders, arms, breathing), and you can only do this when you're playing extremely slowly. Eliminate tension.
https://soundcloud.com/jerry-kramskoy-1
Quote by samppzasd
SpiderM
Yeah, I have a guitarist friend and he told me to work on that also

Good stuff. The tensing that others mentioned may be the problem or you may be increasing the BPM too quickly and loosing the minimum movement techniques you've been learning. Maybe even a combination of both.
Maybe you could film your hands whilst playing and critique yourself and or put it on here.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I really hate to keep sounding like I'm shooting you down, I'm really not trying to, but that said: this isn't at all about songs or anything like that. This applies to anything and everything you play. Everything is good for it because this is about the mechanics of how you play, almost entirely divorced from what you're playing.

Hmm, I see but sometimes I just find it easier to play, the kind of music/style that I want, but I'm going ro concentrate now on even the tiniest details and playing with headphones on, and if I hear mistakes, I'm going to slow down until I can hone my skills enough to make it sound right
Quote by jerrykramskoy
Zaphod's hit the nail on the head ... and I strongly suspect you are tensing up as you start thinking of playing at speed ... which stiffens your hands. You really need to look out in tiny detail for tension in hand movements (but chewck for jaw, shoulders, arms, breathing), and you can only do this when you're playing extremely slowly. Eliminate tension.

Yes, the left fingers tensing are my biggest problem, going to start playing slower and looking more in to quality than fast and messy sounding playing hehe
Quote by SpiderM
Good stuff. The tensing that others mentioned may be the problem or you may be increasing the BPM too quickly and loosing the minimum movement techniques you've been learning. Maybe even a combination of both.
Maybe you could film your hands whilst playing and critique yourself and or put it on here.

Allright! It will help if I have the opinion of others, bevause I'm a cheapskate and only have been learning by myself via tabs, YouTube guide videos, rocksmith etc.
And I want to thank tou guys so much for your advices and the plenty of replys! Really means a lot to me, feels like I got my motivation back!