Hi guys!

I own a "fuzzy" Carvin X100b, ergo the carpet one. I like it but I think it could be improved by some mods. I was wondering if anyone of you guys knew any mods I could do to it.

In a perfect world I would add a orangy mid-range to it to make it scream more. (I love orange amps). Also I would get more of the 100 Hz growl this amp already has. Are there any ways of archieving this?

Cheers!
Quote by maxxxkolo
Hi guys!

I own a "fuzzy" Carvin X100b, ergo the carpet one. I like it but I think it could be improved by some mods. I was wondering if anyone of you guys knew any mods I could do to it.

In a perfect world I would add a orangy mid-range to it to make it scream more. (I love orange amps). Also I would get more of the 100 Hz growl this amp already has. Are there any ways of archieving this?

I've got one of these as well, but I've never had a problem getting mid-range out of it. First, you do realize that the controls are active, right? That means that "5" is about where most passive amps live when they're dimed. Second, the five-band is active and you want to look at using that to get some of your choices.

And finally, the manual is available for download online, and there are several suggestions for using the active controls to mimic existing amps or styles of amp.

Mine is an XV112B, but it's variously had the original British-voiced 100W speaker and an EV-L (those were designated XV112E combos when the EV was delivered originally). I used the combo as a head with a pair of 4x12s fairly often (disconnected the internal speaker, of course). All three choices produced significantly different sounds; perhaps a good mod would be to change speakers.

Where is your X100B located? Bedroom, stage somewhere? If it's a combo, the first piece of advice is to get it off the floor and onto an amp stand to get rid of some of the acoustic and mechanical coupling that can make the amp sound boomy. If you're in a bedroom, you may not be able to get what you want due to room acoustical characteristics.

And finally, you might contact Richard L Hasselbrock (you can google Hasserl Mods, but you'll get mostly mods for the Vintage series of amps. If you can contact him directly, he may point you at people who are doing (or have done) mods on the X100B series. I've done the Hasserl Stage 2 mods on my Belair, but I liked the X100B so much I left it alone.
Thank you a lot! My X100b is the amp I use on stage. I'm just missing the mid-range bark the orange amps have. I'll search for the manual. I'm quite curious. It's one of those vintage X100bs.
dspellman thank you so much! Do you know what "Lead SW" means in the chart with the different settings?

It would be so nice of you if you posted your manual too.