2 9%
blazin Asian
5 22%
latinx
4 17%
Voters: 23.
Page 1 of 2
jk not there yet

Cherng and Halpin found that all the students, including white students, had significantly more favorable perceptions of Latino versus white teachers across the board, and had significantly more favorable perceptions of black versus white teachers on at least two or three of seven categories in the survey./

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2016/10/07/496717541/study-finds-students-of-all-races-prefer-teachers-of-color

His working theory is that teachers of color score more highly because of their ability to draw on their own experiences to address issues of race and gender, which, he says, can be highly germane even to teaching subjects like math, especially in America's majority-minority public schools.

Maybe it's decades of painting white people as uncool, racist, manipulative, and oppressive idk

demonizing whitey is finally starting to pay off. there is hope for the future.
It was my privilege
"I ain't gone learn nuttin from dis white teacha"

- Colin Quinn as student extra from a fictitious
movie about a white teacher that teaches at a
black school and solves the racial problem in
America
Men generally teach boys better, women generally teach girls better. White people aren't cool, so Hispanic and Black teachers tend to get respect easier from students. I have never had a non-white teacher. Not in my entire life, and I won't because I don't have one in my schedule. Professor I probably will though. Only teacher-type figure I've had who's not white is my tennis coach (ironic) who is black, and I love that dude. But that's Northeast Wisconsin for you.
So true. Non-whitey gets so many undeserved cool points.
Obama is a huge dork but ppl act like he's some streetwise tough black guy from da hood.
can be highly germane even to teaching subjects like math

I'm sorry what.

Also this whole thing seems kinda dumb. Like are they sure racial preference in a self-assessed survey nets you anything but a bunch of individuals' racial perceptions, conflated with collectivity through its surface logic, without a working causality behind each individual perspective. Like the study itself states that there is a white majority of teachers appointed to a majority of students of color, so how does it dismiss racial matching and any sense of an ushering in of previously unrecognized minority voices?

I do not think stuff like this is germane or edifying. It just describes a seeming racial preference of adolescents. Its goals are admirable, though.

Maybe it's decades of painting white people as uncool, racist, manipulative, and oppressive idk

Sorry but I don't think so.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Sorry but I don't think so.

please don't minimize our experiences
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
please don't minimize our experiences

I'll minimize this window that's what I'll do.
She was born in 1898 in a barn. She died on the thirty-seventh floor of a skyscraper. She's an astronaut.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
SLAIN!
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by EyeNon15

Obama is a huge dork but ppl act like he's some streetwise tough black guy from da hood.

Since when?
Quote by ali.guitarkid7

rt p good
It was my privilege
It was my privilege
#stewiethread

Love it. "Highly germane" even to teaching math. Christ.

"Every day I wonder how many things I am dead wrong about."
more like #bradthread
very derivative
SAD!

anyway my teaching program is almost exclusively white, as was my last grad program.

hmm...
I'll probably regret even entering this conversation, but here goes:

>>I had mostly white teachers growing up. But in college I've had African (yes AFRICAN, not African-American), Asian, European, Russian, Hispanic, etc.

>>99% of them were absolutely excellent at what they did, regardless of what they looked like. Race/ethnicity had nothing to do with it.

>>I am a white teacher trying my best to serve EVERY kid that I get. That's it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM
I'll probably regret even entering this conversation, but here goes:

>>I had mostly white teachers growing up. But in college I've had African (yes AFRICAN, not African-American), Asian, European, Russian, Hispanic, etc.

>>99% of them were absolutely excellent at what they did, regardless of what they looked like. Race/ethnicity had nothing to do with it.

>>I am a white teacher trying my best to serve EVERY kid that I get. That's it.

>starts post with promise of controversy
>writes most uncontroversial and indifferent post possible
Had all white teachers at the public schools I attended in Oklahoma. I didn't care the ethnicity of the teachers, but I preferred good looking female teachers if at all possible.
I like teachers that don't assign homework, and are willing to talk to you and teach you about what you want to learn, even if it's not in the curriculum.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I like teachers that don't assign homework,

mom I just wanna play guitar
Nuh bruh I'm serious. No homework for life. I just wanna show up and take notes during a lecture and then do some class work and leave when I turn it in.
That feels like the easy way rather than an effective way.

"Homework" to me sounds like a pretty important practice utility for kids. Also I've spent maybe a year tutoring kids who don't like homework so on behalf of all adults, we hate you.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Oct 18, 2016,
You can always go and do the questions from the book yourself. I do that. There's no need to require every odd numbered question from 1-100, write the question and show all work, for points that add up and rival test scores.
Yeah but teachers can't count on school kids taking the initiative on something they historically deride. Adults prescribing you stuff is for your own benefit, even if you don't understand it yet jrc.
I don't mind teachers of color, but I do appreciate a change of the usual Caucasian. Having teachers of color brings a strange vibe with them in class. In my personal experiences I learn better with teachers of another color. They bring about their own personal teaching style, yet introduce their cultural vibes in each of their words. Yes, it's the culture that brings about an interesting lesson each Monday and Wednesday. That quadratic equation can't memorize itself, on Wednesdays we have that Black teacher with the strange New York accent teaching that day, and on Monday we have the Asian teacher from Japan who has that cute accent and likes to talk about the fantastic festivals in Japan. It just really is nice to have teachers who has culture we can have an impression about in the classroom setting.
Quote by StewieSwan
His working theory is that teachers of color score more highly because of their ability to draw on their own experiences to address issues of race and gender, which, he says, can be highly germane even to teaching subjects like math, especially in America's majority-minority public schools.

Dunno about that. I know I had a very high opinion of the latino/black teachers I had, but that was mostly because they were smokin' hot. Economics as taught by an Eva Mendes look alike helped me understand quite a bit about growth and my stimulus package.

EDIT: I know this thread is a serious discussion, but when it starts to break down into #banter someone let me know. I'd love to derail a thread into discussing how Central and South American women are pretty much the pinnacle of sexiness.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

1 3 5 R
2 4 6
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 18, 2016,
Race and sexuality are very important when it cones to math and other exact sciences. The article just reeks of liberal propaganda.
There are good and bad teachers regardless of race and sexual orientation. I never imagined to look into a teachers ethnic background when going through High School, they were all teachers, good or bad or as the case was, mostly mediocre.

Personally, I dropped a senior level economics class in college because of a Chinese instructor, with accent so tthick, that after sitting in two classes on the first row, I couldn't make a sentence. Next semester, I looked for the Caucasian name as I had to graduate. Whoever did the hiring at that school deserved to be fired.
I had a great Czech calculus teacher and an Arab programming teacher, Dr. Khrad, who we all called "Dr. Crap" behind his back. Didn't learn anything in that class.

Anyway...like I was saying, mostly mediocre teachers, regardless of race.
Even better, let's just ban white people! It could be done like the following (special shoutout to the guy above me) :

Louis C.K walks on stage

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen, you are in for quite a show tonight"

"Before we go any further, let us turn off these accursed lights, damned these inventions of the white devil, and return to our natural state...in blackness..."
All lights in the theatre are turned off, but bonfires are being lit on stage and in the audience

At this point, all the blacks in the audience have started chanting "cuck cuck cuck cuck cuck..." silently at first, but growing steadily louder

At this point Louis has stripped completely naked, and a massive cauldron is brought on stage

"This cauldron contains a sacred Nubian concoction made from excrement and semen of Black Men, and the blood of white male babies, it gives me crazy sexual power; sometimes I even ingest it"
Louis covers his whole body with the foul substance, his little white dick getting visibly more erect

At this point, the chanting has grown quite loud..."cuck cuck cuck cuck..."

Louis starts pleasuring himself furiously, his eyes turning back in his head as the becomes more and more ecstatic, the chanting growing ever louder

Some white people look uncomfortable and disgusted and head towards the doors, but they are locked

Finally Louis reaches climax, and as he comes he is handed a big horn, resembling a BBC "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

At Louie's signal, Zulu warriors emerge from the shadows of the theatre, slaughtering every white male with spears and stone knives

All the white women in the theatre are being dragged towards the stage, where dozens of black guys await with throbbing erections

At this point Louis is being DPd by two black bucks, and panting, he reaches for the mic...

"Ladies and gentlemen, brothers and sisters...I bid you welcome...to the INTERRACIAL BREEDING GROUNDS!
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
White isn't a race. Black isn't either. We should say the teacher was Scottish or German or African or Brazillian.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
That feels like the easy way rather than an effective way.

"Homework" to me sounds like a pretty important practice utility for kids. Also I've spent maybe a year tutoring kids who don't like homework so on behalf of all adults, we hate you.
It's a method that might work for high school level subjects, if you don't mind missing out on a lot of marks.
But for higher education, just turning up and doing the bare minimum is a certain way to resits, failure and debt with nothing to show for it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
White isn't a race. Black isn't either. We should say the teacher was Scottish or German or African or Brazillian.

woah
It was my privilege
>latinx is NOT a race

Tell that to la raza.
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
You either label someone by the color of their skin, white or black, which is not very creative at all, there should be a pH test. I should be white 3.5. It would at least narrow it down a little. Otherwise act like a civilized human being and say they are Scottish American or Cuban American. That says their grandparents have some Scottish but they've lived in America for some time now.
Page 1 of 2