I've been considering having a local guy build me a Tele with a Seymour Duncan Lil '59 in the bridge, but I see that the ML-3 Traditional would be a similar thing (Tele type with a single coil-size humbucker in the bridge) for a few hundred less. Anyone have experience with the ML-3 Traditional? Specifically, is the coil-tapped sound in the bridge pickup worthwhile, and how does the neck compare to a standard Tele neck?

Death to Ovation haters!
Haven't seen you around for a while

I haven't tried the guitar (or the pickup) so this is just general advice (I felt sorry for you getting no answers )

I haven't tried any of the chapmans. One of the michael kelly tele-style guitars has a lil '59 in the bridge, but I haven't tried it either. and the rob chapman sig has a lil' 59 in the bridge.

My feeling would be, unless you're really against swapping pickups, I'd get a tele-style guitar you know you like, and then put the lil '59 into it. that way even if the lil'59 thing doesn't work how you want, you still have a guitar you like. Or having the local guy (assuming you know he does good work) build one for you would be a similar idea in that vein.

The other thing is, if you know you like the lil '59, in my experience stacked singles (like the one in the chapman traditional guitar pictured) generally are designed to sound like single coils (except without the noise) while pickups like the lil' 59 are more designed to sound like a full-sized humbucker (in both cases with varying degrees of success ). So that would be worth bearing in mind, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Yeah, I haven't been around much. But now I'm getting into electric (I was strictly an acoustic player for a long time), so I'll probably be asking lots of questions on this board in the future. Your idea is a good one. I might just get a standard MIM Tele, something I'm pretty comfortable with, and have the Lil '59 put in. Maybe, in fact, the Duncan set with the Lil '59 and the noiseless neck pickup.
Death to Ovation haters!
Last edited by PatchworkMan at Oct 22, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I haven't tried any of the chapmans. One of the michael kelly tele-style guitars has a lil '59 in the bridge, but I haven't tried it either. and the rob chapman sig has a lil' 59 in the bridge.

The ML-3 RC was my first thought too. But what about a Tele that has full-size humbuckers?
A general thing: I've had two chapmans. First is a ML7s, which I still have and love, plays great, sounds great, etc. I had a ML1 for a few months, couldn't wait to get rid of it- action was sky-high, even though the frets were buzzing like mad, trem was unstable as hell, the two-piece ash body mismatched..
Try before you buy, or make sure the shop has a good return policy. Just my 2cents
I haven't played the ML-3. And I don't have a tele. Yet.
My personal feeling is that, since I have all those other guitars that do everything that a tele doesn't, my first foray into tele-ness should probably be a very basic, no fancy stuff tele. Single coils all round, bolt neck. It'll probably be a toe-dipper; maybe one of the SX teles on Rondo (something like $109 plus shipping). I've got enough access to the expensive spread, so I'll be able to see how much difference there is between those and mine, and I'll adjust the pickups if I need to. But I think I'll want to take it further (just because I do that) and maybe have Carvin build a neck-through with a 25.5" scale and a 24-fret neck. Same single coil pickup setup; I'll probably want to get away from the clunky neck heel. Dunno yet. But at least I'll have both ends of the spectrum to play with. Pussy-footing around in between doesn't make sense to me until I really know what I want.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Våd Hamster Was it a Chinese or Korean ML-1?

Korean, 2015 model, ash version
Quote by luke.g.henderso
The ML-3 RC was my first thought too. But what about a Tele that has full-size humbuckers?

I've thought about that, but I find that I have a lot more use for a neck single than a neck humbucker. A little more snap, a little more note definition (especially on the bottom), better for song-driving rhythm guitar. I suppose the MIM Standard HH Tele, which is coil split, is an option, though I don't really like the colors it comes in.

Another bridge humbucker/neck single guitar I've been looking at is the Yamaha Pacifica 611, but I prefer the Tele knob and switch location to the Strat-style setup. I have a tendency to bump into the volume knob and the switch (when it's in neck position) on a Strat type when I use a flatpick.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Have you looked at the Fender Modern Player Tele?

http://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10003/0241102569_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg

It even comes with a coil split stock. Looks pretty versatile.

I have looked at that. It's definitely a possibility, but in a perfect world I'd have a guitar without a middle pickup. I like the simplicity of a three-way switch and I keep bumping my pick into the middle pickup on my S-type. That's one of the reasons I like the humbucker bridge pickup: it's a more versatile sound that makes me feel like I don't need a middle pickup as much.
Death to Ovation haters!
I think we're probably back to your original plan then, getting a standard-configuration Tele and dropping a singlecoil-sized humbucker in the bridge. Or, get a two-humbucker model with coil splits, or a two-humbucker model and replace the neck pickup with an HB-sized singlecoil.

I know Charvel used to do San Dimas Type 1 models with HS, but I'm not sure about Type 2 (Tele-shaped).

Cort do the Matt Bellamy models, but they're an odd shape. Depending on how much you want the traditional look, there's this:
http://www.diamondguitars.com/maverick-st-black-gold
Quote by PatchworkMan
Yeah, I haven't been around much. But now I'm getting into electric (I was strictly an acoustic player for a long time), so I'll probably be asking lots of questions on this board in the future. Your idea is a good one. I might just get a standard MIM Tele, something I'm pretty comfortable with, and have the Lil '59 put in. Maybe, in fact, the Duncan set with the Lil '59 and the noiseless neck pickup.

Yeah. Just bear in mind (and I haven't tried this myself, just what I've read) that sometimes noiseless/rail-type single coils are marginally bigger than regular single coils, and sometimes you have to file the pickguard (or maybe even the body, not sure) to make them fit. If you're unlucky.
Quote by PatchworkMan
I've thought about that, but I find that I have a lot more use for a neck single than a neck humbucker. A little more snap, a little more note definition (especially on the bottom), better for song-driving rhythm guitar. I suppose the MIM Standard HH Tele, which is coil split, is an option, though I don't really like the colors it comes in.

Another bridge humbucker/neck single guitar I've been looking at is the Yamaha Pacifica 611, but I prefer the Tele knob and switch location to the Strat-style setup. I have a tendency to bump into the volume knob and the switch (when it's in neck position) on a Strat type when I use a flatpick.

Just bear in mind that a tele neck single is actually pretty warm. I'm not sure "definition" or "snap" are the words I'd use for one, at all.

Also a P90 sounds very different from a strat single or tele single coil. If anything, to my ears at least (and depending on the exact example we're talking about and its specs) a P90 sounds much closer to a humbucker than to a Fender-style single coil.

I haven't tried that Yamaha but I think it has a pretty narrow nut width. If you're used to acoustics you might not like that (I'm mostly an electric player but I prefer wider necks too).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'm mostly an electric player but I prefer wider necks too.

Amen to that.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Just bear in mind that a tele neck single is actually pretty warm. I'm not sure "definition" or "snap" are the words I'd use for one, at all.

You're right, of course, but I was comparing a neck single to a neck humbucker. Even a neck single is for smooth stuff, but neck humbuckers just sound like soup to me unless I'm playing a solo (which is something I'm not very good at--I'm more of a singer/songwriter).
Death to Ovation haters!
All I'm using a neck pickup for usually is single note solo type stuff, so I do find a humbucker to be tighter for that than a tele-style neck pickup, but whether that translates to other types of playing, I dunno.
Did you check out the Diamond Maverick?

The G&L Fallout is somewhere between a Tele and that Pacifica model.
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/fallout/index.asp

There are also the Fender offset guitars like the Duo-Sonic
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/duo-sonic/duo-sonic-hs-rosewood-fingerboard-black/

or the cheap as hell Squier '51
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/series/vintage-modified/squier-51-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst/
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Oct 24, 2016,
Quote by Dave_Mc
All I'm using a neck pickup for usually is single note solo type stuff, so I do find a humbucker to be tighter for that than a tele-style neck pickup, but whether that translates to other types of playing, I dunno.

I'm looking for a neck pickup I can use like this:
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Did you check out the Diamond Maverick?

The G&L Fallout is somewhere between a Tele and that Pacifica model.
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/TributeSeries/guitars/fallout/index.asp

There are also the Fender offset guitars like the Duo-Sonic
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/guitars/duo-sonic/duo-sonic-hs-rosewood-fingerboard-black/

or the cheap as hell Squier '51
http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/squier/series/vintage-modified/squier-51-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst/

I have a friend with a Duo Sonic. I like the sound but the short scale would take some getting used to. Will check out the others. Thanks.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by PatchworkMan

yep, that sounds like a tele to me.

assuming i'm not just thinking that because I know she's playing a tele.
Quote by PatchworkMan

What sort of bridge pickup sound do you want?
Last edited by luke.g.henderso at Oct 26, 2016,
luke.g.henderso
Quote by luke.g.henderso
What sorg of bridge pickup sound do you want?

I just want something fatter and warmer than a single coil--at least the Strat- and Tele-style single coils I have experience with. Where the single coil bridge pickup of a Strat or a Tele seem to excel is in bright, cutting solos and Keith Richards-style chord banging. Personally, I don't do much of the former and I'd just as soon do the latter with an acoustic.
Death to Ovation haters!
^ Right so basically over the course of the week we've determined that you know what you're talking about and you're pretty much bang on the money with what you think you want. So that was a waste of time (on our part, I mean, or at least mine).

Some of my best work.

But seriously, though, tele neck pickups aren't usually that common on guitars which aren't teles- so you may well be on the right track with a tele with a single coil-sized humbucker in the bridge position. That's not to say they don't exist at all, but they are less common.
^ Haha, just to clarify in case what I wrote up there was ambiguous, I meant it was our (well, my) fault, not yours

I guess it's basically whether you can find a guitar with a bridge humbucker and tele neck single coil and if you can't, whether you can find a single coil-sized humbucker which gets close enough for your ears. I wonder if anyone makes a tele-style pickup in a strat-sized fitting? That would increase your options as well since then you could look at fat strat-style guitars.
I think that, if you like everything about Teles except the bridge pickup, there are enough humbuckers that fit into the Tele bridge position without any irreversible modifications that you should be able to find one that works.