I'm a sucker for gold hardware, so when the Seymour Duncan Invaders on my Schecter Synyster Custom lost their gold plating, I went kinda nuts. I searched for options to solve the problem, and perhaps the best, or only thing I can do is getting gold pickup covers. Problem is, the only ones I can find where I live are the original Seymour Duncan covers, and they're selling them for around $60 EACH. So I would have to spend $120 to get the covers. (Everything is a lot more expensive here) Buying them through eBay or Amazon is not an option, since it takes a lot of time and effort because of all the ridiculous taxes I need to pay here. So, is the expense worth it? Or may it be just a waste of money?
If they are made of gold-plated brass it is worse than a waste time, it could be a tone killer. I took the standard chrome covers off my SD Jazz and it worked wonder for the tone. I've read that genuine nickel silver ones don't have this tone-killing effect, I don't know what the gold plate would do.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 17, 2016,
You should be able to order the hex poles directly from SD via their website contact info on the front page.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
For that kind of money you can probably get a completely new pickup with a gold cover.
Jo┼ża je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Look into having your current covers re-plated. They can be polished and replated to better than new with a much thicker coating of gold (the replacements you'd buy will wear through in no time). And this can be done (usually) locally.
Quote by dspellman
Look into having your current covers re-plated. They can be polished and replated to better than new with a much thicker coating of gold (the replacements you'd buy will wear through in no time). And this can be done (usually) locally.

In order to do that I would need to remove the pole pieces and take them to a jewelry or something like that. Wouldn't re-plating be reaaaally expensive tho?
Quote by HeavenHelpUs777
In order to do that I would need to remove the pole pieces and take them to a jewelry or something like that. Wouldn't re-plating be reaaaally expensive tho?

Replace the screws, replate the covers.
I don't know what it will cost you to do the replating where you are (in my case it wasn't reaaaaaally expensive), but my experience has been that it's cheaper in the long run to replate because you'll have a LOT longer time before they start wearing through.

Wait, Invaders have covers? Where'd you get THOSE?
Or are you just talking about the screws/pole pieces?
I think you can find those in 55 gallon drums from chinese suppliers for chip.
Quote by dspellman
Replace the screws, replate the covers.
I don't know what it will cost you to do the replating where you are (in my case it wasn't reaaaaaally expensive), but my experience has been that it's cheaper in the long run to replate because you'll have a LOT longer time before they start wearing through.

Wait, Invaders have covers? Where'd you get THOSE?
Or are you just talking about the screws/pole pieces?
I think you can find those in 55 gallon drums from chinese suppliers for chip.

The pole pieces. I couldn't find covers for the Invaders at all.
The pole pieces on Invaders are 10-32 x 1/2 hex head machine screws, which are used in rack mounts.
You should be able to find yellow zinc plated versions easily in boxes of 50 or more for a few cents each. Having the things gold plated *should* be trivial, but you'll want to check with your local plater.