Ok so I'm having little luck finding info about a guitar I'm likely purchasing, so I figure I'll try to find some info on the main pup driving it. I love my active blackouts in my atx c7 so I was initially looking for a guitar with active pups. Unfortunately the only thing i can find that fit everything I'm looking for has a passive. Well that passive is the Seymour Duncan nazgul. Upon looking though it still may for the bill as I'm finding stuff saying that it is very high output and good for metal. I was hoping to find first hand experience from people who have accrual first hand experience with this pup, as my local schecter dealer only carries a limited amount of the high end models due to break in risks.
What are you wanting the pickup to do? I have heard many people love the Nazgul, but I wanted more diversity in my tone so I opted for the Sentient/Pegasus combo in my PRS and love it. They can easily handle metal and clean up very nice, I play a lot of Opeth on it and it fits exactly as needed.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
I love high levels of distortion.... the cleans I prefer a good clear tone, but they come I second to the distortion capabilities, as honestly I'm quite happy with the cleans from the blackouts. I also have a preference for a little more low end. Worst case scenario I can always swap a pickup out but I really don't want to go through the trouble on a 1200 plus dollar guitar, which is also one of the reasons I sick to schecter and Jackson usually
Grawgos thank you....i have a preference for active, but no problem with good passive, just a little pickier. I know the guitar I'm picking up is a metal guitar.....i was just worried about how the nazgul holds up in comparison with the active blackouts. I'm working on getting the Keith merrow km fr s, just wanted to make sure the pick up would hold it's own
The Nazgul will hold its own against your Blackouts, don't worry about that. But it is voiced differently. Blackouts have bigger, warmer lows -- but the Nazgul is meant to be tighter and more aggressive than most pickups. So the low-end is punchy but not loose. There is also a mid-spike that really lends itself to the "djent" sound. Some people love it, some people hate it. I have listened to a lot of demos, but admittedly, I haven't played one. It is hard to find any demos of it playing anything but djent, a style I personally dislike. But I did hear one clip of a guy playing real death metal with a Nazgul through a Bogner Uberschall and it didn't sound djenty at all -- it sounded awesome. I have a guitar with Blackouts, FWIW. I have SD Black Winters in my other guitar and I definitely prefer them to the Blackouts. Though they are passive like the Nazgul, they still have no problem "out-brutaling" the Blackouts.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
KailM sounds good to me....obviously I'm not looking to duplicate the blackouts because I have them in the atx, but rather add more variety for similar styles. I wanted to see some opinions on it because I'm not going to have the sentient combination with it to maybe fall back on as the guitar will have the sustainac pick up in its place
The Nazgul is very much a "metal" pickup, by which I mean that's basically all it does well.

It's a different sound from the AHB-1s in your ATX, though - a bit brighter, a bit tighter, a LOT more snarl.

I like the Duncan Distortion much more than the Nazgul which is kinda lame.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by bobafettacheese
What are you wanting the pickup to do? I have heard many people love the Nazgul, but I wanted more diversity in my tone so I opted for the Sentient/Pegasus combo in my PRS and love it. They can easily handle metal and clean up very nice, I play a lot of Opeth on it and it fits exactly as needed.

Do you feel the Pegasus is honky? I bought a 7 string loaded with that set and there a high mid range "honk" not present in my other 7 string with stock pickups. It's ugly sounding.
All of this is true. The Nazgul was designed for, and excels at metal. Tight, brutal, punishing amounts of gain. In fact, it is very much designed as a specialty pickup just for metal. It does one thing, and one thing only. It is pretty extremely EQ'd for a high gain sound. Some don't like the clean sound, but that isn't what it is designed for.

Quote by oneblackened
The Nazgul is very much a "metal" pickup, by which I mean that's basically all it does well.

It's a different sound from the AHB-1s in your ATX, though - a bit brighter, a bit tighter, a LOT more snarl.

I like the Duncan Distortion much more than the Nazgul which is kinda lame.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Ignite
I haven't noticed anything like that. Then again I am on a 6 string with a 25" scale.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals