Hi and thanks for any help!

My problem is that whenever our well's water pump (constant pressure controller) is running, our guitars make a horrible PPSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH sound, that doesn't stop until the water stops.
Here is what I know:

It doesn't matter if the water is a sink, shower, washing machine, or even outside, like someone is watering trees, or filling a horse tank.
It is not just a bad pickup or something, because it happens with all 5 of our electric guitars and basses.
Not a bad amp, it does it with all 4 of our amps. Doesn't matter where in the house we are playing or are plugged in.
All guitars and amps work in other buildings perfectly.
I am pretty sure that it is the guitars picking it up because when the volume knob on the guitar is down, so is the feedback; same for the tone knob, because it gets rid of the treble and the sound is high pitched. But who wants to play with the tone knob all the way down?
The sound is mostly quiet when playing clean, loud with overdrive, and absolutely unbearable with sick metal distortion.

I couldn't find anything on the internet about this problem, so it must be rare.
How can I fix this problem, and has anybody seen anything even slightly similar to this before? (Maybe the reason nobody has the problem is because my family is a rare exception to the stereotype of "You don't shower if you like rock and metal!" )
Thanks!
Last edited by glorifyinghimguitar at Oct 18, 2016,
How is the pump wired to the house?

It sounds like circuit interference to me. Have you tried a ground lift or one the hum eliminators like the Ebtech HumX?
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
metalmingee Thanks for the suggestions, sorry for the slow reply. (and by the way, you have some cool guitars! I have an ESP LTD too, and 2 Peavey Vypyr VIP 2s)

The pump has 3 wires coming out of it, one to a pressure controller, one to a shutoff and to power, and one that goes over a wall (we have no idea where it goes after that). An electrician looked at it & thought it was fine.

I haven't tried the ground lift or hum eliminators, but I know it is coming through the air to the guitar pickups because today I plugged an amp into a computer battery backup, and unplugged the backup from the wall, (so the amp was not connected to the house in any way), and played, while someone ran some water, and I still get the cursed sound of death.

I now think the sound is the guitar pickups, sensing EMF (electromagnetic frequencies) from the pump. Microwaves give off lots of EMF, so I held my guitar up to the microwave while it was running and got a sound similar to the pump sound, but lower pitched and quieter. There might be a connection here, because the guitar made a sound similar to the microwave's sound, and the water pump puts out a sound very similar to the guitars cursed sound of death.
My thinking is since guitar pickups are magnets they are picking up electroMAGNETIC frequencies.

Any ideas for how to shield this or something? Thanks
Wear an aluminum foil hat to reflect the EMFs.

Sorry I couldn't resist, you may need to check to see if your instruments are shielded properly.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/setups/how-to-shield-a-guitar

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Silence_is_Golden
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

glorifyinghimguitar

Thanks on the guitars!

So you've completely isolated your house wiring/voltage from being the cause.

I'd look into some sort of EMF Shielding for the pump and/or your guitar room. If the pump is putting out that much EMF I really wouldn't want it to be constantly bombarding me!! Maybe build a box or wall that blocks most of the EMF. They have foil, paint, and different barriers that may work.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Evilnine
Ha! That hat idea is good on 2 levels, the EMF, and the groovyness! I might have to try shielding a guitar to see it will work. Thanks!

metalmingee
I probably should try blocking EMF from getting out of the pump too, but you're right, not only for the guitars, it could cause some health problems too. My Mom actually has a TON of allergies, that developed since we moved to this house 7-8 years ago, this could be related to that. Thanks!