Page 1 of 2
This is similar to bobafettacheese's thread on things you were surprised you liked.

What are some pieces of gear that you thought or assumed you would like or love....and ended up not liking?

Mine are:

Les Paul style guitar
Marshall JVM amplifier

I assumed I was going to love both of these but really could not gel with either. I realize they are super popular too. The Gibson Les Paul and all of those varieties and knock offs are just not very comfortable to me. I feel like I'm fighting the guitar and I don't want that feeling. As far as the JVM, I was just generally disappointed. Again, I realize they are popular and I have heard some really good clips of them but either I can't dial them in or the tones I hear recorded are not at all what I'm getting in the room. Best tones I was able to get was from a 205 on one of the OD green channel options. But the high gain stuff that I like - was not there. And yes, I realize the volume has to be cranked up on them (as do the Splawns).

You?
I found the JVM's a bit underwhelming too. In fact I find Marshall amps in general to not really be my thing.

I don't quite like PRS guitars as much as I thought I would. Everybody I come across says how incredibly high quality they are, but I just cannot get along with how they feel or sound. And find the finishes of the tops on many of the higher-end PRS guitars are far too ostentatious. I've simply never played one that screams at me to have it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
CAE OD-100:

Really flubby gain tones for my tastes. Cleans were nice though.

Suhr Badger 18:

Wanted more old school sag and more low-end.

Guitar wise, I have never been crazy about PRS guitars. I like the looks of them, but never found one that I didn't consider boring to play.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mesa amps. This really bugs the hell out of me. I just can't get on with them whenever I try them and it's frustrating because I know they are awesome really. It's something to do with the response rather than the tone, I guess.

For a while I thought I didn't like Marshalls but eventually found a way to make them work for me. I'm hoping one day I can figure out how to make a Mesa work for me, because I really should love them.

EDIT: That reminds me - PRS guitars, I love playing them, they play great, they sound great, but I wouldn't own one - there's something about them that makes me really paranoid about putting a ding or a mark in them, and that paranoia would prevent me from really being able to enjoy it. I could probably happily own an SE, but those are really nothing special, and in that price range there are just other guitars that I find more appealing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Whew. I thought I was going to get lynched for that comment
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Whew. I thought I was going to get lynched for that comment

Nah I think you'd be surprised.

Although I might get the smackdown for shitting on CAE
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier (3 channel). I mean I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't gel with it. It just sounded fizzy.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Marshall JVM210 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
well I hate to say Les Pauls as well but it's true. owned 2 but they just aren't for me. love the sound and the look but just can't get along with them playing wise for some reason. use my BC Rich Eagle in place of a LP for those types of sounds.
I am echoing the JVM and PRS. I also expected to get lynched for downing PRS.

also the fulltone OCD. I bought it long ago thinking that it was the end-all of OD's. i never caught on to loving it. it never did what I wanted. I just kept hoping to like it. just recently got rid of it.

also I have never caught onto the feel of the Jackson Rhodes. I have played quite a few. not my thing.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!*** NEW NEW NEW!
2017/03/25 Nitrocellulose -vs- Polyester Finishes (Saturday 2017-03-25)
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ibanez. I've played a ton of them, never liked one enough to keep it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Far more than I can recall, but I can't help but notice that a lot of the particularly bad failures were the result of an attempt to combine two successful ideas.

The usual caveats: Everyone's got different tastes and needs, I'm weird, don't take offense if I don't like a thing you like.

(tried to indicate what I replaced the gear with, or bought instead, or some option adjacent to the intention of the gear I thought was crappy, so you have an idea of what I did like)

Empress multidrive:
Tons of options, almost no good sounds. The two presets were mandatory because each section required extensive EQ tweaking to get it to sound decent. What this meant for me was that this pedal that was supposed to replace three different dirt pedals was instead just barely usable as a replacement for a mediocre OD and a mediocre distortion. For the $300 this costs new, you could have three perfectly good pedals that have separate tone controls, can all be turned on together or separately without opening the pedal and messing around with DIP switches, and that you could choose and swap out individually. Eventually settled on a Skreddy Lunar Module which straddles the distortion/fuzz line really well and has tons of tweakability. For half the price and half the size, I find it more versatile. It doesn't have presets, but it does have a green LED and a way cooler name.

EQD Dispatch Master:
On paper: versatile delay with reverb in one small enclosure, perfect for people who want a nice compact ambience pedal without any frills. Reality: boring delay, crappy reverb, dissapointment. Not a terrible pedal, but I'm not that picky about delay and reverb so it had a low bar to clear. It did not clear it. I bought a Polara reverb and a carbon copy delay instead. Took up more space but infinitely more options, and they all sound better than the DM.

Gibson ES Les Paul:
I like Les Pauls and I like hollow and semi-hollows. I have had a few semi hollow telecasters that I loved. The Les Paul seems like a perfect platform for the small body semi-hollow. Nope. Played two, both sounded like a 335 with a head cold. No sustain, no warmth, thin sounding. Fretboard on one was really bad. Price was a bit shocking. Given the construction on the Midtown, the ES Les Paul seems like it could have been made at the 12-1500 mark, but somehow this piece of junk costs double that. Given Gibson's QC, maybe I just played two bad ones, perhaps the design itself is fine. In my book, though, the ES-339 is exactly what this guitar should sound like, so just get one of those instead, or a Midtown if you want to spend less.

Mad Professor One:
Ew. Supposed to be a plate reverb and a hot marshall in a box. MF was blowing them out for $70 and I feel like I paid too much. Distortion was on the thin side, reverb was meh, and kind of a weird combination unless you're a total Van Halen nut, which I'm not, so I guess I was expecting too much. Crunch box and any decent plate reverb sim would work better IMO.

Tone King Amps:
Tried a bunch, can't understand the appeal. Narrow EQ, uninspiring clean tones, OD wasn't for me. Very expensive. They get a lot of attention on the Gear Page and sounded like a great amp for someone who likes Fenders but might want some bells and whistles. Couldn't make it do anything that sounded good to me.

Allen Amps:
Could write nearly the exact same as the Tone King review. Don't understand the hype, can't imagine paying so much for one with all the vintage and even contemporary Fender offerings on the table.
Blompcube overdrive the Mesa and you're set!
MXR Doubleshot Distortion was the big surprise for me - totally hated it.

Gibson Les Paul was another huge letdown. When I first saved for my big boy guitar and anything up to $4k would do, I went to Guitar center and had them pull one of the expensive Pauls behind the sales counter, price tag north of 3k. I proceeded to play a lead and sliced my hand on the frets. Needless to say, ended up with a Music Man Steve Morse, totally opposite of what I expected. Best Les Paul I've played was a Gustavson, tried it at the Chicago Music Exchange. Still regret not buying it
http://www.jgguitars.com/models
1) Fender & Gibson guitars in general, including Squier & Epipone. From my earliest forays into electric guitars, I have always found their ergonomics to be ever so slightly off for me, as compared to the products by companies coming their originals. No knock on the quality, just their feel.

2) pointy guitars. I love the aesthetics, but again, I never feel comfy with one in my hands. This fact is ever at war with my desire for a V.

3) Krank Distortus Maximus. I bought one among the first 5-6 pedals I ever got. The Distortus never seemed all that Maximus to me,
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Carvin Legacy, the first version. The local store here in Searcy got one in on a trade and they let me borrow it for a weekend hoping I would buy it. It had an oppressive midrange that I could not dial out. It gave me a headache within a few minutes of playing it. No doubt it had plenty of clarity and it cut through the mix, I just couldn't get past that honk.

I once had an Ibanez SAS36, which I think they don't make anymore. I played one in the store and liked it, so I had them order me one. Maybe it was just this particular guitar, but it played awful. I couldn't get it set up right, the pickups were lifeless, it sounded dead acoustically, just a disappointment. It was weird because I've liked almost every other Ibby I've ever played.

Also my Mesa Stiletto 1x12 cab is probably my least favorite piece of gear I currently own. All of my amps sound boxy and thin through it.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
I'm also going to say PRS. They look great and I'd say their quality can't be denied, but they just don't sit well with me. I played a couple recently when I was shopping and I just didn't like it.

Gibson CS Les Pauls were underwhelming. I expected the Les Paul of a lifetime, but after playing a couple in the same said shopping spree, I just didn't find them to be worth the money at this point in my life. They were good guitars, great even, but I couldn't justify the price tag.

Anything traditional Strat-like gets a vote as well for me. I always thought it was a quality issue, where I had only played lower end stuff, but recently I tried the US Std, US Deluxe, some CS stuff and a Suhr Strat-style and none of them really felt like a guitar I would ever buy. I do love the tones, but it feels awkward and just doesn't suit me.

In that vein, Classic Vibe Squiers. I hear everybody rave about them, so I tried a couple. I'll disregard the Strats, as I clearly just don't like Strats in general, but even the Telecasters felt lackluster to me.

Vintage Melody Makers (and new ones, for that matter). I really thought they would be my thing. Turns out they feel like what they are. 50 year old guitars that were cheap back then.

I'm going to get nailed for this, but I'm going to put the Orange Rockerverb 100 MKII on my list as well. It's a good amp, but I just expected more. I had a TH30 at the time and I had played a Thunderverb 200, an old OR80 and a recent OR50 and the Rockerverb just underwhelmed. It wasn't leaps ahead of the TH30 for me and it wasn't as great as the other Orange amps I'd played. Could've been a substantial amount of factors that day that made me not like it as much as I wanted, but I'd be surprised if I ever picked one up.

Anything modern Marshall, probably. I just don't like Marshall amps. I hated the TSL my bandmate had and I couldn't get along with the JVM either, as some here have said also.
Fender MM Stratocaster. I really disliked it after I got to know it.

Expensive guitars : the Composite Acoustics Legacy Raw. It's a good instrument, but I don't like it as much as the travel model (CA Cargo) and it doesn't get anywhere near as much play.
Quote by Blompcube
Mesa amps. This really bugs the hell out of me. I just can't get on with them whenever I try them and it's frustrating because I know they are awesome really. It's something to do with the response rather than the tone, I guess.

For a while I thought I didn't like Marshalls but eventually found a way to make them work for me. I'm hoping one day I can figure out how to make a Mesa work for me, because I really should love them.

This was me until a friend of mine that worked at the local music store showed me a used Mark I they were selling. Said goodbye to my AC30!

I haven't found a LP that I quite like yet unfortunately
Last edited by Vantage at Oct 19, 2016,
I hated an Engl amp that i tried a few years ago. I think it was a combo fireball or something. It was just horrible in every way. Now i own a powerball head and i love it, so i guess it was just that specific amp that i disliked.

Then there is anything from ibanez with the wizard neck. Its just so wide and thin it actually my hands hurt after an hour of playing. I love the neck on my sz320 tho.

I also didnt like any epiphones AND gibsons that i tried. They are just plain uncomfortable and the necks are a pain for me, and im talking about lps and sgs. I dont even like explorers because of the neck dive, and i really want to love them becuause they look cool as hell. I guess its just not meant to be.

The last thing that pops into my mind is PRS guitars. I dunno why, they just dont do it for me. Everything about them is a bit off, from the neck to the shape and the general playability... I just couldnt get into them when i was deciding on a new guitar.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
A mid-60's Silvertone hollowbody with a Bigsby. It was originally my uncle's guitar, then he gave it to my Dad, who gave it to me. No matter what I did, I could not get that guitar to stay in tune, even after replacing the Bigsby spring with a piece of stainless steel tubing. It was cool, it was retro, it had family history, but I just could not enjoy playing it. I gave it to my cousin this summer (his Dad was the original owner). It had a lot of sentimental value for him, so it worked out just fine all around. I know that I *should* have loved a vintage Silvertone, but it just didn't work out.
Red Witch Fuzz God II. Andy from PGS made it sound so good, but I sure couldn't.

Quote by Roc8995

EQD Dispatch Master:
On paper: versatile delay with reverb in one small enclosure, perfect for people who want a nice compact ambience pedal without any frills. Reality: boring delay, crappy reverb, dissapointment. Not a terrible pedal, but I'm not that picky about delay and reverb so it had a low bar to clear. It did not clear it.

Agreed completely.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 19, 2016,
JustRooster

Andy may, in fact, be practicing witchcraft.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Marshall mg series amps
And Jackson dinky neck through + esp laiho signature
Quote by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster

Andy may, in fact, be practicing witchcraft.

I'm a strong believer of this. It's unreal how everything sounds great with him.
I always enjoy playing Strats far less than I expect or want to. I suspect it would be better standing up since it's mainly about the position of the picking hand, but I haven't yet tried this in practice.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Randall RG100SC for me. First "real" amp in quite a while and it just didn't work out. The gain channels were blah and the Gain 2 was almost useless for my needs. In the amps' defense it had Seventy80 speakers. Maybe it needed work but it always sounded like a blanket was covering it no matter how I EQ'ed it. Picked up a 5150 and only turned on the Randall for a quick compare and to make sure it still worked to sell it.

Also Duncan JB. I just don't jive with it. Obviously others love it and it's really common.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by metalmingee

Also Duncan JB. I just don't jive with it. Obviously others love it and it's really common.

Definitely this. I know a lot of folks love it, but I always thought it was kind of lame
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I don't quite like PRS guitars as much as I thought I would. Everybody I come across says how incredibly high quality they are, but I just cannot get along with how they feel or sound. And find the finishes of the tops on many of the higher-end PRS guitars are far too ostentatious. I've simply never played one that screams at me to have it.

I was going to say that this was an interesting thread but that I couldn't actually think off-hand of anything, but that's a good point, PRS probably for me as well. I actually really like how they look, I'm not against them because they don't like like 1950s guitars, but the vast majority of them I've tried have been a bit "meh". I did try a mccarty model which was awesome, though (but it also was about £3500, and that was about 10 years ago!). And I should also clarify, I haven't tried any in about 10 years so (a) they may be different now and (b) I may well have a different opinion now.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Considering I play sitting down in the classical position, and while standing up I like to have the neck not so much horizontally perpendicular to the floor, my preference in guitars has generally learned towards strats and Vs

So my big shocker is that I horribly disliked the Jackson Randy Rhoads. Horrible neck dive, and the output jack being located on the horn is uncomfortable for seated, even with a 90 degree cable.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
also the fulltone OCD. I bought it long ago thinking that it was the end-all of OD's. i never caught on to loving it. it never did what I wanted. I just kept hoping to like it. just recently got rid of it.

Same for me. I've tried multiple times, giving it months in between uses to see if maybe my preferences are changing. But I tend to pull it off my board shortly after I use it. Still have mine though.
'16 Gibson LP Standard T, '95 Fender MIM Strat
Helix Rack, Jetcity JCA50H w/ JCA24s+
Quote by DirtFarmer
Same for me. I've tried multiple times, giving it months in between uses to see if maybe my preferences are changing. But I tend to pull it off my board shortly after I use it. Still have mine though.

Not a fan of the OCD #3 reporting in
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I never have tried it but I didn't particularly like the way it sounded in video demos. Needless to say I wasn't very inspired to go find one
I have 2 basses with rosewood fingerboards. I always wanted a Geddy Lee bass. I saved the cash to get one, but I just didn't like the action of the maple board. I was crushed.
Diezel VH4:
Seriously, I've played these multiple times and just don't get the hype. They're okay sounding amps, but for the price they're asking, I expected A LOT more. Everytime I play one I really can't help but thinking you could get an amp that's similarly versatile and sounds just as good, if not better, for 1/3 - 1/4 the cost.

Bogner XTC 101b:
Okay, I actually really like the 101b, but much like the VH4 suffers from being too expensive compared to its competition, so does the XTC. It's actually a really great sound amp and, while there are others out there that cover similar ground to it, very few actually sound better. That being said, I don't feel like the XTC sounds that much better to justify the price tag.

Almost every PRS I've ever played:
I've owned several Custom 22s and 24s, an Artist and a CE-22. Aside from one hardtail CU24, that's to this day, still probably one of the best guitars I've ever played... I wouldn't buy another again. I just feel like they make a pretty guitar, but that doesn't necessarily make it sound good.

Mesa Road King:
The Road King is okay sounding. It has way too many options for me, but I could see how they'd be useful to a handful of people. That being said - having owned the Roadster, I feel like it not only sounds better for most applications, but it's also far more practical for 95% of players (plus significantly cheaper).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Martin acoustics in general. They are supposed to be the gold standard in factory acoustics, but I had one go very bad about 15 years ago, and got no satisfaction under our importer warranty. Since then I've looked at quite a few, and I even bought another one and kept it for a couple of years, but at bottom I've seen nothing to improve my opinion of them. - They seem to be inconsistent in tone and neck angle.
I loved the ENGL Special Edition E670 the first year I had it but the honeymoon ended when I got the Bogner XTC 101B and Uberschall Twin Jet.

The Blackstar Series One 200 was also nice but the Orange Thunderverb 200 was much better for guitar and in a pinch, for bass.

I'm on and off as far as the Splawn Nitro, QuickRod, and ProMod. I've had multiple versions of the QR because it sounded wicked with the Small Block and Big Block speakers.

I'm the same way with the MB Road King II Ver 1 and 2 because the older 2-channel Triple and Dual Rec (my 2nd/3rd amps) were all I really needed. I've kept the RK II Ver 2 only because of the very nice Clean and steal-me-now price I paid for it several years ago.

Derek, I got a minty 2008 VH4 a while ago for 2000 USD so it's worth it, unlike the Herbert (same price) which I'm not ready to give away. Same deal with the Hagen ... should've listened to Molter.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Definitely this. I know a lot of folks love it, but I always thought it was kind of lame

I call it pleasantly generic.

Ditto on martins. Thought that was just me.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah i found martins a bit meh too. but i'm no acoustic afficionado

the jb's kind of weird, it can sound anywhere between terrible and great depending on what guitar it's in. i used to hate it, but i've since tried it in some guitars where it sounds good and I definitely don't hate it the way I used to. I'd want to know it sounded good in a guitar before buying it, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
T00DEEPBLUE agreed, i just don't like PRS. i appreciate the quality, just not for me.

monwobobbo never really liked Les Pauls myself, and i wanted one really bad for a long time too.

JustRooster wow, that fuzz is one of my favorite sounding fuzzes. it is the only one that has stayed on my board.

one of my disappointments is the Marshall Plexi, i played a few and haven't really liked them. i have owned a kit JTM45 for some time and when i went to play plexis i thought i would them better but i was quite underwhelmed. just not my thing at all.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Page 1 of 2