I was watching a video about Les Paul tuning issue and one of the issues was the headstock string binding. So i thought, if I add string guides (or something similar) in a guitar with good headstock angle and a 3+3 headstock, it will have a better tuning stability. Please tell me if it is going to work.

https://s22.postimg.org/u73vhjugh/1981_YAMAHA_SG1000_headstock.jpg

https://s13.postimg.org/qnoyyv247/1981_YAMAHA_SG1000_headstock2.jpg
Not a good solution. Tuning that thing is going to sound like a robot getting a handjob. Look at all the metal to metal contacts with tons of tension at awkward angles.

You've actually increased the break angle over the nut, and then you've straightened that shallow side-to-side break by creating a massive, nearly 90 degree bend near the tuner. Now instead of binding at the nut, the string is going to bind ten times worse on a metal groove held in by a tiny screw. Or it would, except that it's just going to pop out of the string tree because they're meant to push the string down, not wedge it in place laterally at crazy angles. And then the string will bind at the nut anyway because even though it's straight you've made the break angle even steeper at the headstock by lowering the string on its approach to the nut.

Two solutions to better tuning stability include a better nut (Graphtec, for example, or a decent synthetic with plenty of lubrication and a good cut) or a locking nut.
^He is correct. You would be putting a tremendous amount of strain on those poor little string guides. They probably would not hold up very well - or very long - and the tiny screws used to hold them in place would probably also fail in time.

Strings binging in the nut slots of a three-to-a-side headstock is usually the result of the nut slots not being cut properly. As already stated, a proper slot cut combined with some sort of reasonably dry lubricant (Like Dri-Slide, or you can make your own graphite paste from ground-up pencil leads and 3-in1 oil) should solve any binding problems.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
What the others said, and always aim to have the strings going in a straight line through the guides, for both function and looks. My 4+4 lap steel has string guides on the inner four string, but they are in line with the strings and fairly close to the nut, and they aren't really ncessary.
Quote by Roc8995
Tuning that thing is going to sound like a robot getting a handjob.

well i'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

String trees aren't meant to redirect the string, but to add that little bit of angle needed to keep the string in the nut. Typically on teles or strats but not on a les Paul for example where the headstock is angled back.
Last edited by esky15 at Oct 20, 2016,
Quote by Roc8995
...that thing is going to sound like a robot getting a handjob.

Hmmm...so Digitech Dirty Robot + Korg Miku Stomp + fingerstyle playing?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.