I have been thinking about eco vs alt for a while, and came to the conclusion that it isnt about which one is better.
Rant inc.

Imagine a run, Alt and Eco will work as roads. Bring an different landscape and sometimes intertwining, yet reaching the same destination regardless.
With Alt picking you will get a more rhythmatic feel (imo), you can really hit hard those accents -kinda zakk widlish-. On other hand Eco picking will give you a more waving feeling, almost legatoish.

Its not about -"Hm, excuse me. sir. Your playing isnt 100% efficient, i saw your pick going 0,0000001mm over the optimal distance", Or cursing all your eco opponents in your Paul gilbert dark shrine. But rather use those techniques to get the sound as you invision it.

So my answer to the ancient question Alt vs Eco is:
Learn both. Feel free to mix them.
If you're doing 2 note per string, you have to alt pick. Economy picking just doesn't apply.

Three note per string pentatonic scales you can do either way. Depends entirely what sound you're going for and how fast you need to play.
Quote by cdgraves
If you're doing 2 note per string, you have to alt pick. Economy picking just doesn't apply.

Three note per string pentatonic scales you can do either way. Depends entirely what sound you're going for and how fast you need to play.

Eh, not necessarily true, it's impossible to say whether it's possible or not without knowing the exact content of the run in question. It's quite possible there could be some economy picking to be done. I mean, just look at Shawn Lane's penatonic 5s; that's some prime economy picking!

Can't seem to find the lesson now but it looks a bit like this:

e|-----------------------
b|-----------------------
g|-----------------4-7---
d|-------4-7---4-7-----7-
a|---5-7-----7-----------
e|-7---------------------

p|-u-d-u-d-u-u-d-u-d-u-u-

And so on.

And that's just one example, I know there are other good examples of when 2 note per string pentatonics can easily be played with economy picking.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
In many ocasions i use booth, but mostly i use alt. I use eco to aproach certain techniques i find more easy to connect my picking that way, but i could definely use my alt aswell there are no better than.
Also the sound is modifed as you can have one picking technique that is more accentuated than the other, and is up to you to decide what suits you.
Last edited by xNuno at Oct 19, 2016,