Like the title says what is your dream guitar and or wiring mod? Here are a few I have been working on:

Semi Hollow guitar, single coil N P90 B wired v/v/t/t like a les paul. Then I want to add a piezo and a v/t control for that and have a stereo output switchable to mono. So one output would be the piezo and one would be the pups, if I can fit it I may add some kind of active preamp for the piezo but that may be overboard.

HSH stratocaster, P90 neck, stacked single M w coil split switch, Shadow EQ humbucker B wired with an active/ passive switch and a coil split. I want to wire the other two pickups to go through the EQ of the shadowbucker, if I can fit it I may try and add a piezo too and see if I can use the shadow to boost it.

Those are both just concepts for now, I have some of the stuff but am still planning the details out. Just got my first P90s and I love em so much!
I don't really have any one dream guitar. Rather, lots of them. But off the top of my head, I can talk about one.

I'd love a Gibson-style Flying V with a Makassar Ebony top, a Floyd and custom-style binding. I think there's a thread somewhere of someone doing something like this with a TOM and I needed new underwear when I saw the result. I have never seen a Flying V that was so tastefully styled yet looked so mean. The cream binding perfectly complementing the perimeter edges of black to dark brown of the top's figure, the black TOM, tailpiece and ebony fretboard blending perfectly with the black center of the Makassar at the heart of the top. The bookmatched back and neck were unstained mahogany to continue with the aesthetic.

I wish that guy did commissions. Someone with such a keen eye for tasteful styling should market that skill.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Working on. Semi Hollow? Yea I can relate, https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615170@N07/25970705316/in/dateposted-friend/
Basically what your looking at is a Guitar Kits USA Resoglass Jetson, Or shall we say fiberglass period correct reproduction body of an Airline JB Hutto, Eastwood bought the rights to the Airline name although they're reproductions are made of chambered Mahogany, GKUSA got the rights to the Resoglass name and builds kits only, Meaning how you decide to put it together is your own business
In this case I wanted the Airline Gumby style headstock but not willing to pay what Eastwood was asking. and GKUSA cant use the design due to the copyrights. So I contacted Bruce Wei and had him make me one to spec, slightly smaller than the original Airline Gumby, Just to be a bit different and not step on toes , In the end $70 bucks shipped and the quality was exceptional, straight as an arrow and flawless, Gotta love those Chinese and they're CNC machines,
So now we have a complete body and neck, Now what? Well as the mag pickups were going to be a big player they were still going to be playing second fiddle so I didn't want to spend a small fortune on boutique pups, So I went with a cheap set of GFS Power Rails, The main pups come from the GraphTech Ghost Hexpander's piezo system, Which I might add is not exactly cheap once all is said and done, Then once you figure in the GraphTech TOM piezo bridge fitted to a Stetsbar vibrato. Do the numbers, Lucky I have a machine shop and mad skills and was able to keep the cost below $1,300 for the build, Plus I already had the stainless steel and other crap for the accent pieces and the Monel for the center block cap which ties the neck to the bridge for insane amounts of sustain, Also makes for a good common ground, as the guitar has no hiss or buzz what so ever,
Although thanks to the Monel and all the other electronics and eye candy it weighs in at the LP weight class however is nothing like a LP. I've let several people play it that have played the old Airlines, and expecting a feather light semi Resoglass that have been like WTF! Then once plugged in are like WTF!!!
How much do you want for it dude? Not for sale but was thinking of building another, Got another on the bench as we speak . Green? seriously dude?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615170@N07/30281262711/in/dateposted-friend/
Quote by nastytroll
The main pups come from the GraphTech Ghost Hexpander's piezo system, Which I might add is not exactly cheap once all is said and done, Then once you figure in the GraphTech TOM piezo bridge fitted to a Stetsbar vibrato. Do the numbers, Green? seriously dude?

Green's an underused color in guitardom. I have exactly one green guitar (out of 50+), and it's pretty nice.

My "Seriously dude?" moment came when I saw you using a Graphtech TOM piezo bridge and a Stetsbar Vibrato. My experience with the Stetsbar is that *if you use it,* it goes out of tune. I have two JTV89F Variax guitars that have a Graphtech LB63 -- essentially a Floyd Rose with the Graphtech piezo saddles. Thanks to the Variax electronics, of course, it does far more than simply give you another pickup choice (the JTV89Fs combine Variax output with the standard mag pickups). But more importantly, those guitars are always in tune no matter what I do to them. That's why the Graphtech TOM piezo bridge and Stetsbar made no sense to me.
Quote by musiclover420
Like the title says what is your dream guitar and or wiring mod? Here are a few I have been working on:

Semi Hollow guitar, single coil N P90 B wired v/v/t/t like a les paul. Then I want to add a piezo and a v/t control for that and have a stereo output switchable to mono. So one output would be the piezo and one would be the pups, if I can fit it I may add some kind of active preamp for the piezo but that may be overboard.

HSH stratocaster, P90 neck, stacked single M w coil split switch, Shadow EQ humbucker B wired with an active/ passive switch and a coil split. I want to wire the other two pickups to go through the EQ of the shadowbucker, if I can fit it I may try and add a piezo too and see if I can use the shadow to boost it.

You should talk to folks like LR Baggs and Graphtech -- most of their piezos come with an active preamp (all piezo guitars need them).
I'm not sure that you're going to be all that thrilled with tweaking trimpots to produce an overall EQ on your "Dream" guitar -- you can do mostly the same things by using an EQ as the first stop in your FX chain. In fact, given the small number of pots, you may find that you have a lot more tweakability if you use a 1/3rd-octave EQ (which would provide 16 or 18 choices of frequency) rather than 6 or 8 as on the Shadow.

In short, you really want to get some hands-on experience with these bits and pieces rather than reading random intertoob reviews and cooking up pie-in-the-sky concoctions that really don't work very well in the real world.
Quote by dspellman
Green's an underused color in guitardom. I have exactly one green guitar (out of 50+), and it's pretty nice.

My "Seriously dude?" moment came when I saw you using a Graphtech TOM piezo bridge and a Stetsbar Vibrato. My experience with the Stetsbar is that *if you use it,* it goes out of tune. I have two JTV89F Variax guitars that have a Graphtech LB63 -- essentially a Floyd Rose with the Graphtech piezo saddles. Thanks to the Variax electronics, of course, it does far more than simply give you another pickup choice (the JTV89Fs combine Variax output with the standard mag pickups). But more importantly, those guitars are always in tune no matter what I do to them. That's why the Graphtech TOM piezo bridge and Stetsbar made no sense to me.

Actually I have absolutely no issues with my Stetsbar what so ever, Did you install the ones you've used yourself? As that may be where the problem lies. In any case the Variax is not on the same page as the 13 pin MIDI equipped guitars, And yes I also use a Godin XTSA with the RMC PolyX drive with the stock Schaller trem, If you don't like those either you may want to do some research on who builds Floyds high end high dollar bridges for him. I take it you have no idea what a guitar synth is? Check out the Roland GR-55, that's what I'm using,
Quote by nastytroll
Actually I have absolutely no issues with my Stetsbar what so ever, Did you install the ones you've used yourself? As that may be where the problem lies. In any case the Variax is not on the same page as the 13 pin MIDI equipped guitars, And yes I also use a Godin XTSA with the RMC PolyX drive with the stock Schaller trem, If you don't like those either you may want to do some research on who builds Floyds high end high dollar bridges for him. I take it you have no idea what a guitar synth is? Check out the Roland GR-55, that's what I'm using,

I've not installed the Stetsbars I've used. The last one I used for any length of time was installed by Gary Brawer in San Francisco. Reasonably decent tech. I was comparing it to the Floyd FRX.
The Variax isn't a 13-pin MIDI guitar, but each string is handled separately in the Variax firmware, and Graphtech's Floyd with piezos is used on a lot of 13-pin guitars, and is probably the first choice for 13-pin trems on guitars. I'm pretty familiar with most Floyds (the OFRs used by large manufacturers are/were built on two Korean production lines; the bubble pack Floyds for small builders and aftermarket were Germans (Schaller).

I guess I don't have any idea what a guitar synth is. Wait, unless you're talking about the Axon100 controller I'm using with my MIDI system. It's old and I've had it a long time. Looks like this:

It does some cool things with split modes, but I assume your GR55 has long since surpassed that?...

I started out a keyboard player, currently using a Korg Kronos and PA3X, both of which seem to have these funny little MIDI connectors that run out to my computer systems. And this Carvin SH575 with the 13-pin, stacked controls and the old PRS hollow body with the 13-pin must be connected to *something* around here; they make noise when I twang on them.

Hey, I just noticed that my Pods and Helix have MIDI input/output on them as well, and there are cables plugged into some of those holes. And the VDI cable plugged into those gizmos allows me to use Variax volume and tone controls as controllers for specific bits of the Helix, and apparently you can send MIDI signals from those floorboards. That must be how I'm controlling some of that other stuff with the Variax guitars! Huh!

We should get together so that you can explain all this stuff to me.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 22, 2016,
Quote by dspellman
I've not installed the Stetsbars I've used. The last one I used for any length of time was installed by Gary Brawer in San Francisco. Reasonably decent tech. I was comparing it to the Floyd FRX.
The Variax isn't a 13-pin MIDI guitar, but each string is handled separately in the Variax firmware, and Graphtech's Floyd with piezos is used on a lot of 13-pin guitars, and is probably the first choice for 13-pin trems on guitars. I'm pretty familiar with most Floyds (the OFRs used by large manufacturers are/were built on two Korean production lines; the bubble pack Floyds for small builders and aftermarket were Germans (Schaller).

I guess I don't have any idea what a guitar synth is. Wait, unless you're talking about the Axon100 controller I'm using with my MIDI system. It's old and I've had it a long time. Looks like this:

It does some cool things with split modes, but I assume your GR55 has long since surpassed that?...

I started out a keyboard player, currently using a Korg Kronos and PA3X, both of which seem to have these funny little MIDI connectors that run out to my computer systems. And this Carvin SH575 with the 13-pin, stacked controls and the old PRS hollow body with the 13-pin must be connected to *something* around here; they make noise when I twang on them.

Hey, I just noticed that my Pods and Helix have MIDI input/output on them as well, and there are cables plugged into some of those holes. And the VDI cable plugged into those gizmos allows me to use Variax volume and tone controls as controllers for specific bits of the Helix, and apparently you can send MIDI signals from those floorboards. That must be how I'm controlling some of that other stuff with the Variax guitars! Huh!

We should get together so that you can explain all this stuff to me.

Dude I actually still have an old GR-1 Expanded around here somewhere , Not like I'm going to take a picture of it or anything Just saying. Never cared much for the Axon stuff. But I'll sell that old Roland cheap in case you feel the need to figure it out
Quote by dspellman
You should talk to folks like LR Baggs and Graphtech -- most of their piezos come with an active preamp (all piezo guitars need them).

I have seen some Graphtec stuff, it is too spendy for me right now though. I believe I have seen some piezos without preamps though I know they need them to get remotely loud.

I'm not sure that you're going to be all that thrilled with tweaking trimpots to produce an overall EQ on your "Dream" guitar -- you can do mostly the same things by using an EQ as the first stop in your FX chain. In fact, given the small number of pots, you may find that you have a lot more tweakability if you use a 1/3rd-octave EQ (which would provide 16 or 18 choices of frequency) rather than 6 or 8 as on the Shadow.

I have a hard time beleiving even a very nice EQ would be the same as having a 5 band built into the pickup + a volume/ gain control...

If there was no difference people wouldn't use active guitars/ basses with additional EQ controls in the first place.

"Mostly" is not the same, 16-18 band sounds way overkill to me as well. 5 bands should be plenty to dial in believable tones of various pickups. Like I said it can be split to run as a single too so even with just 5 bands of EQ the tonal range should be able to cover almost anything traditional and some modern stuff.

The only improvement I can think of for the shadow is a semi parametric EQ but that would also be a bit overkill most likely.

In short, you really want to get some hands-on experience with these bits and pieces rather than reading random intertoob reviews and cooking up pie-in-the-sky concoctions that really don't work very well in the real world.

This I fully agree with, I have very little experience with electronics and soldering though. I taught myself to work on guitars for the first time not too long ago and have only changed like 5-10 pickups and done a small amount of mod work. Thankfully it has mostly been successful so I want to try some harder mods.