Hey all,

My first post here, hopefully I haven't committed any typical first post crimes.

So basically I've been learning to play the guitar for a few months now and have a lovely customised Fender Squier telecaster, replaced the neck for more comfortable playing, locking tuners, replaced nut, and an entwhistle neck pick up (it's pacific blue for those who want to see it in their minds eye)

It's not my first guitar but it's the best I've ever owned and I absolutely love it but me and a friend are writing an album just to jam together and our preferred type is post hardcore mostly inspired by a band called Fightstar.

(hopefully links allowed)

This link is to a video of them performing a song that made me pick up a guitar in the first place, now my budget is pretty much none existent but what type of guitar would be better for this type of music as I'm not sure my telecaster could cover all areas, or am I completely wrong?

Sorry for the long post and if i have broken any rules, I'm really sorry!

Many thanks for your time and knowledge.
what do you have for an amp? that typically has more to do with tone than your guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup
Thanks for your response bud,

I'm currently using a Peavey Transtube studio pro 112.
Quote by danemullin
trashedlostfdup
Thanks for your response bud,

I'm currently using a Peavey Transtube studio pro 112.

your amp is more limiting than your guitar.

if you want something humbucker-ish, i would throw a SC sized 'bucker in your tele. plenty of options there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup

Ah I see, I thought I'd picked a good amp when I needed to replace my basic practice amp lol.

So I'm assuming I should replace the bridge pick up with the SC 'bucker? My neck PU is fine?
And save for a better amp.

I was on the fence about whether I'd need to switch to a Les Paul style or a PRS but if those changes will point me a better direction to my goal then I'd be happy as I adore my telecaster.

Thanks for your advice bud
Quote by danemullin
trashedlostfdup

Ah I see, I thought I'd picked a good amp when I needed to replace my basic practice amp lol.

So I'm assuming I should replace the bridge pick up with the SC 'bucker? My neck PU is fine?
And save for a better amp.

I was on the fence about whether I'd need to switch to a Les Paul style or a PRS but if those changes will point me a better direction to my goal then I'd be happy as I adore my telecaster.

Thanks for your advice bud

a single coil sized humbucker is a relatively cheap solution. for example a seymour duncan jb jr. it is very easy to install, if you can solder it is a 15 minute job.

as far as a new guitar goes, I would get an amp first, especially since you like your tele.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Don't forget that this is fully produced song, so if you were to hear it live probably it won't sound as good.

The Transtube is OK but your amp is probably more of an issue. To me it sounds like a Marshall DSL40C would be perfect for that kind of tone. Upgrade to humbucker won't be a bad thing. If you can - change the pickguard and drop in a real humbucker in the bridge, or a mini humbucker if you don't want to mod.
Thanks all,

I'll invest in the best bridge humbucker I can buy and start saving for a better amp, turns out this could be quite the expensive hobby lol.

Yeah I saw Alex uses one but was under the impression Charlie played the main parts of the songs with his PRS and Alex did subtle backing...(still learning the difference between rhythm and lead haha)

You guys have also made me look at my poor amp differently, other than not knowing how to get a good distortion sound (thought it was my lack of knowledge setting wise), I was in love with it haha and it's huge! Didn't know it was okay at best, shows I really need to do some hands on research, off to the guitar shop try some!
Last edited by danemullin at Oct 19, 2016,
Quote by danemullin
Thanks all,

I'll invest in the best bridge humbucker I can buy and start saving for a better amp, turns out this could be quite the expensive hobby lol.

Yeah I saw Alex uses one but was under the impression Charlie played the main parts of the songs with his PRS and Alex did subtle backing...(still learning the difference between rhythm and lead haha)

You guys have also made me look at my poor amp differently, other than not knowing how to get a good distortion sound (thought it was my lack of knowledge setting wise), I was in love with it haha and it's huge! Didn't know it was okay at best, shows I really need to do some hands on research, off to the guitar shop try some!

I'd start with the amp honestly. it is the basis for your tone and what pickup you end up getting will likely be influenced by your amp. I know it's not the cheapest solution but often guys want to start with pickups just to discover that their current amp isn't up to snuff and they can't really hear a difference after spending money of new pickups.

don't feel bad none of us started off knowing all about gear at all. when I started playing there was no internet , videos etc had to find out things the hard way most of the time. feel free to ask ?s so you can avoid some of the pitfalls we suffered along the way.
monwobobbo
That's a fair point bud, much appreciated.

I'll check out some Marshall's tomorrow shop owner told me to bring my guitar, so hopefully I'll hear a massive difference in her sound.
Play whatever he'll let you try out. You never know what will move you.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Play whatever he'll let you try out. You never know what will move you.

yeah absolutely. never hurts to try as many options as you can (at least in your price range)
danemullin The guys in Brand New and Taking Back Sunday use Teles too, and they're roughly in the same tone region as Fightstar. Where abouts are you located?
Your guitar is probably fine. Tele pickups are pretty versatile as single coils go, a bunch of local post-hardcore bands when I was growing up used to use them. It doesn't sound like you particularly dislike your amp either. I'd say you could get a sound that's close enough with what you've got. But if you're not satisfied look at a new amp first.
I will probably jam a few as well as feel out some guitars too!
And if I'm spending a good chunk of cash on it I'm definitely going to research to find my best option and sound.

Luke, I'l have to check them out, thanks for bringing them up ?. I'm pretty close to Bristol bud.

I currently waiting on a Boss gt 8 effects board which I'm assuming will help me realise my current amps limitations.

https://www.guitar.com/sites/guitar.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/brand_new_jesse_lacey_2007.jpg

https://www.guitar.com/sites/guitar.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/taking_sunday_john_2012.jpg

I would say probably look at Marshall and Blackstar to start with, or maybe a Vox with a good distortion in front? Alternatively, if you get a good clean sound from your amp, use that as the base.

A Boss GT-8 looks pretty complicated, how much are they? Do you want all of those options, or do you think a better amp (or even tube preamp) would be better?
luke.g.henderso
Thanks for the videos ?

Well the Boss GT-8 is from a friend so not costing me much at all and it was the first pedal/board I've ever used and kinda feel comfortable with it as I've used it a fair bit when we jam, I'm confident theres a better suited system out there but I like it and the opportunity was there.

I'm definitely getting a better amp though as main priority...the boss was already in motion before posting originally. I'm not well researched into tube pre-amps. So I'll do some research today.
Quote by danemullin
luke.g.henderso
Thanks for the videos ?

Well the Boss GT-8 is from a friend so not costing me much at all and it was the first pedal/board I've ever used and kinda feel comfortable with it as I've used it a fair bit when we jam, I'm confident theres a better suited system out there but I like it and the opportunity was there.

I'm definitely getting a better amp though as main priority...the boss was already in motion before posting originally. I'm not well researched into tube pre-amps. So I'll do some research today.

i wouldn't bother with a tube preamp. good ones cost the same (or more!) than typical combos/heads/etc. you would still need a power amp down the line.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by danemullin
trashedlostfdup

What's your opinion of the fender mustang 3 v2?

oversized practice amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by danemullin
trashedlostfdup
Someone wanted to swap my peavey for one...so not a good idea?

i honestly have no idea. i have played both amps, but i don't really feel confident enough to make a statement. i had a transtube supreme back in the day (2003) and looking back, it did the job.

i have a negative perspective on modeling amps if i am honest. i will never own one. but for some people like them.

the one thing i can say with certainty is that there is no point in having a MFX pedal and using a modeling amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

danemullin In that case, go for it, and narrow down one the sound you're looking for.

Sorry, by pre-amp, I meant a pre-amp pedal, not a separate pre-amp rack-mount unit or something.
trashedlostfdup

That's fair enough I understand it's a digital amp it's 100w so gigable but tbf doubt I'll ever gig so it's just replacing my bedroom amp I'm also getting a Marshall 30 dfx that I got so cheap I thought I'd get it just to own it lol

Luke - got you bud, appreciate it too
Let us know how you get on with the Boss, and what settings work best for you, people might be able to point you in the right direction for an amp to suit you.
luke.g.henderso

Will do bud ?

So I'm doing the swap for my peavey and I'll use the Boss GT8 for my Marshall. I'll let you know how I get on.