Help.

Gonna advertise my tutoring services (English) and hope to make some $$$ but I've never worked with kids before, and maybe the worst thing is I know how to speak English, but never thought about how to explain it until now.

Has anyone here ever taught before? Or been tutored? How was it?
What should I do if a kid asks me how something works and I don't know?
If you've been tutored, what was the worst thing about it?
Last edited by Minicaxotinho at Oct 19, 2016,
I was a tutor for about a year and a half with a program based at a university.

Make sure to keep in mind the difference between a tutor and a teacher--and that the kids you're working with know that, too. As long as you're on the same page.

The context in which you're working can help, especially if it's some kind of tutoring center. You can refer students to other tutors if you're unsure of something.

If you don't know something right off the top of your head, then gently let them know and then show them how you'd go about finding that info (basically, social modeling stuff). Always make sure to have resources handy--like a laptop or something where you can look things up.

iirc, Bladeslinger is/was a tutor in a college as well

Good luck Minixacatladyironaldinho
Quote by bass.desires
staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
I was a tutor for about a year and a half with a program based at a university.

Make sure to keep in mind the difference between a tutor and a teacher--and that the kids you're working with know that, too. As long as you're on the same page.

The context in which you're working can help, especially if it's some kind of tutoring center. You can refer students to other tutors if you're unsure of something.

If you don't know something right off the top of your head, then gently let them know and then show them how you'd go about finding that info (basically, social modeling stuff). Always make sure to have resources handy--like a laptop or something where you can look things up.

iirc, Bladeslinger is/was a tutor in a college as well

Good luck Minixacatladyironaldinho

Literally this.

(Source: I tutored for 2 years in uni)
I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Normani
Normani
Normies
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Help.

Gonna advertise my tutoring services (English) and hope to make some $$$ but I've never worked with kids before, and maybe the worst thing is I know how to speak English, but never thought about how to explain it until now.

Has anyone here ever taught before? Or been tutored? How was it?
What should I do if a kid asks me how something works and I don't know?
If you've been tutored, what was the worst thing about it?
Speakveryquicklytheywon'tunderstand.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Aeolian Harmony It's nice to read it's ok to not know everything straight away, I was tutored once and the lady seemed to know everything so I assumed it was a tutoring requirement and felt self-conscious :S
Quote by Minicaxotinho
Aeolian Harmony It's nice to read it's ok to not know everything straight away, I was tutored once and the lady seemed to know everything so I assumed it was a tutoring requirement and felt self-conscious :S

Also, generally you'll become better prepared for things people ask about with a given topic. For example, with introductory statistics, there was always a "wave" of students in the semester who would come into the center asking about standard deviation, which tended to be the first difficult topic. I imagine that your tutor probably had plenty of experience helping people with specific, difficult topics.
Quote by bass.desires
staring at your forum avatar relaxes me.
I worked a Kumon tutoring center for math and reading and writing for a few months in college. Mostly just grading papers and marking exams, but it feels good when you finally help a kid understand basic concepts (mostly elementary - middleschool kids) I think tutoring is a good gig if you do it a school, because that's a real reference right there, but the hours can be less and the students can be unmotivated. But you can get paid more hourly if you tutor for private or have an online system.
Quote by Aeolian Harmony
For example, with introductory statistics, there was always a "wave" of students in the semester who would come into the center asking about standard deviation, which tended to be the first difficult topic. I imagine that your tutor probably had plenty of experience helping people with specific, difficult topics.
This makes sense.
"you're smart"

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story