Hi,

I was hoping to get some pointers about changing out the speaker in my VC15.

It currently has a Jensen speaker in it and I found an exact replacement from hot rox for about £40, I looked on Laney website and it says that the VC 15 has an HH speaker in it.

I bought my VC15 second hand so I wondered if the previous owner had maybe swapped out the speakers or if in fact Laney used to fit the VC15 with Jensen's ?

What would the people of the forum recommend I replace the Jensen with and are there any good online stores in the UK that I could get one from?

Is it just a case of disconnecting and unscrewing the old one and popping the new one in or is there more to it than that?

Thanks in advance
Just looked at mine and it has a Celestion Tube 10 speaker in it:
https://www.amazon.com/Celestion-Tube-Guitar-Speaker-Ohm/dp/B002HHLO22?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffab-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002HHLO22

Maybe previous owner changed speakers, or they had different speakers on different issues of the amp. I'm quite happy with the speaker that is in mine. It is slightly dirty for that blues breakup sound. Jensen should be better if you prefer to play more cleaner stuff. You could also look at Eminence Legend and Copperhead as replacement speakers if you want to try something else.

It should be a matter of unscrewing the speaker, unsoldering the + and - terminals and connecting the new speaker the same way.
Thanks diabolical, funnily enough I was just looking at a Celestion Tube 10 online
the older version had a jensen (c10q i think but could be wrong), so it may well be stock.

what type(s) of tone are you after? what type of music do you play? is there anything you liked and/or disliked about the jensen?

EDIT: if you're lucky it's just a matter of taking out the spade connectors/wires and unscrewing and then doing the opposite to put the new one in (take photos before you start as you want to connect the spade connectors to the correct positive and negative terminals!), but if you're unlucky it might be a tight fit and you might have to remove valves or even the chassis (and you want to be careful in case possible sources of electric shock are exposed when you remove the chassis, which can remain even if the amp is turned off). EDIT#2: also if you're unlucky sometimes the spade connectors are really tight and you might have to use pliers or similar to get them off, which is very annoying since the whole point of them is to be easy to put on and off. and also although they're meant to be universal sometimes different speakers from different manufacturers and different spade connectors are just a different enough size to not fit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 19, 2016,
Thanks for liking my post, but I can't help you any more if you don't answer my questions before the edit I've never actually tried a speaker swap in a vc15 (only tried them in shops) and I'm not that well up on 10" speakers, but there are some rules of thumb which apply to most speakers that I can hopefully help you with if you answer those questions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers Dave, I'm still a very basic beginner although I do like a dirty blues tone when I hear one. I found a Celestion Tube 10 for £30 so I ordered it and it should be arriving later today.

I had a look in the back of the amp and I couldn't quite see the connectors so I wont know until I open it up properly how its gonna be. Thanks for all the info, i'll let you know how I get on.
Grrr accidental double post, the forum was going a bit silly there and wouldn't let me post
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 21, 2016,
No worries, hope you like it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
speaker swaps are usually painless. worst case scenario is you pull the chassis. if you pull it, pull out the tubes (pay attention to what tubes go where), unbolt and let it down. unscrew the speaker. put the new speaker in. be a little cautious that the screwdriver doesn't slip and go through the cone. i will man up and say i did that once, and I was pissed. reassemble.

DON'T POKE AROUND IN THE CHASSIS, THERE IS LETHAL CURRENT IN THERE.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
All done, got it finished last night. It took a little more work than I imagined. There wasn't much room in the back of the cabinet so I couldn't just unbolt and lift out the old one. I had to unscrew and pull out the control switches. Once I done that it was simple enough. I plugged in my guitar and gave it a whirl just to be sure, it sounded good and in my opinion the Celestion tube 10 sounds better than the Jensen.
Thanks for all the info guys, very much appreciated.
danboy775 glad to see it turned out well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ +1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?