I am a believer that scale length does influence tone, but what I came here to ask was if using a 25" scale (a middle ground between Gibson and Fender) would be enough to keep the good qualities of a coil split humbucker. Is this scale length able to maintain the wool of a humbucker, but keep stratty chime when split? I know there are other factors at play, but does the 25" scale length help?
I'm sure others will chime in here as well but I wouldn't look at scale length while changing pickup types - compare the scale length with the same pickup types.

My example is with an EMG 81. I have a Jackson Dinky with a 25.5" scale and it's brighter (under heavy distortion) than my LTD EC-1001 with a 24.75" scale length both running the same D'Addario 10's. I think of longer scales as brighter than shorter scales with the same tuning.

Think of it this way too - an E5 chord on 6th string 12th fret is duller than an E5 chord on the 5th string 7th fret. Longer strings come across as brighter.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
I completely understand, but what I was wondering if changing the scale length and nothing else, if it would provide a better tone split while maintaining a good sound when both coils are on. Or if it would be neither here nor there. It's for a warmoth I'm making.
Last edited by 70001407 at Oct 19, 2016,
Quote by 70001407
I completely understand, but what I was wondering if changing the scale length and nothing else, if it would provide a better tone split while maintaining a good sound when both coils are on. Or if it would be neither here nor there. It's for a warmoth I'm making.

There's really not a lot of difference between a 24.75" and a 25" scale when it comes to tone. In fact, you can do pretty well with both pickup configurations when you move up to a 25.5" scale. Where you hear the difference mostly is in the clarity of the bottom two strings.

If you want to experiment, walk into a piano store and ask if you can play the bottom four keys on a small spinet piano. Then immediately go play the bottom four on the longest grand piano they have. That'll tell you what you need to know.
until you push it to the extremes, scale length is irrelevant to tone. from 24" to a 27" it is likely noticeable.

playing is a different story, as well as tuning, and string gauge.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/