I recently got a Dean vmnt and was wondering if i could just install a flat mount kahler on it.
Its a flat top guitar and is string through. I dont know too much about modding guitars liks that.
Has anyone done this or have info?
Thanks.
Short answer: It's a good way to potentially ruin your guitar.

Long answer: The guitar's neck angle needs to be considered when doing such a drastic modification. Guitars with TOM bridges typically have their necks glued into their pockets at an angle to compensate for the raised profile of the TOM bridge off the guitar. If the angle wasn't there, then the guitar can never play right because the studs which mount the bridge would bottom out before the action could be lowered to an acceptable level. By fitting another bridge on the guitar that it was never designed to take, that neck angle becomes a serious problem because the new bridge's profile will be lower than that of the old bridge. Consequently, all the strings will end up permanently resting on the end of the fretboard, rendering all the frets behind it completely unusable and you'll be left with a big, expensive paperweight.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Short answer: It's a good way to potentially ruin your guitar.

Long answer: The guitar's neck angle needs to be considered when doing such a drastic modification. Guitars with TOM bridges typically have their necks glued into their pockets at an angle to compensate for the raised profile of the TOM bridge off the guitar. If the angle wasn't there, then the guitar can never play right because the studs which mount the bridge would bottom out before the action could be lowered to an acceptable level. By fitting another bridge on the guitar that it was never designed to take, that neck angle becomes a serious problem because the new bridge's profile will be lower than that of the old bridge. Consequently, all the strings will end up permanently resting on the end of the fretboard, rendering all the frets behind it completely unusable and you'll be left with a big, expensive paperweight.

Very professional and MODlike answer!

If you investigate the neck angle and find that the VMNT will accomodate a Kahler they are great tremolo systems albeit very underated. They are nothing like Floyds they are very wiggly and not as stiff as a Floyd style trem. some routing will be required but not nearly as much as if you converting to a Floyd.

I have a Kahler on my B.C. Rich BeastVNT and I love it, accept for my Jazzmaster my other trems are all Floyds which I love as well.

If I were you I would contact Kahler and see what they can tell you and what system they recommend. It is a shame more guitars are not available with Kahlers from the factory.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 20, 2016,
Evilnine yeah ive only had 1 guitar with a Floyd and man did i hate it. Just didnt like the way it felt. I have the same view as you. I wish guitars eould come with a kahler other than B.C Rich.
Taken a look at a Stetsbar yet, direct replacement for TOM style bridges and no modifications needed,
Quote by nastytroll
Taken a look at a Stetsbar yet, direct replacement for TOM style bridges and no modifications needed,

The Stetsbar is quite expensive and overall a poor system for tuning stability. Not recommended.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
Quote by discobiscuitttt
I recently got a Dean vmnt and was wondering if i could just install a flat mount kahler on it.
Its a flat top guitar and is string through. I dont know too much about modding guitars liks that.
Has anyone done this or have info?
Thanks.

contact wammiworld.com and ask the same question. That's sort of the default place to go for Kahler information at the moment.