Is it worth buying a small synth like a MicroKorg if I dont know how to play keyboard well?

I dont know scales but I just know the notes on the keyboard. Is it worth buying a small, cheap synth to add extra sound?

Also, can I attach a foot pedal(like a Mooh Taurus thing) to it if it has a MIDI in and control it with my feet while playing bass?
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Might be better to post this in places outside of the pit.

I can't tell you what might work for you. Do you feel like a keyboard would be useful for what you want to do? (composing or recording or whatever...) if so then it's something to consider. Depending on what you want to do I would try to look up things to see if you need things like pads, faders or pitch/mod wheels etc... Do you need the keyboard to have standalone sounds as well or are you strictly using it as a midi controller and running it with VSTs etc?

What I will say though is if you really want a keyboard I wouldn't go smaller than 49 keys.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Might be better to post this in places outside of the pit.

I can't tell you what might work for you. Do you feel like a keyboard would be useful for what you want to do? (composing or recording or whatever...) if so then it's something to consider. Depending on what you want to do I would try to look up things to see if you need things like pads, faders or pitch/mod wheels etc... Do you need the keyboard to have standalone sounds as well or are you strictly using it as a midi controller and running it with VSTs etc?

What I will say though is if you really want a keyboard I wouldn't go smaller than 49 keys.

Well, I am in a band and keyboardists are hard to come by and you could say I....kinda know how to play(with about one hand). I'd just like a synth with patches and for it to be compact. I basically want it for pads and for extra sounds here and there. I am pretty sure a pitch wheel is unnecassary but almost all cheap synths come with these today.

An arppegiator would be nice though.

My first thought was a Roland Gaia.
Quote by Guitar0player
Well, I am in a band and keyboardists are hard to come by and you could say I....kinda know how to play(with about one hand). I'd just like a synth with patches and for it to be compact. I basically want it for pads and for extra sounds here and there. I am pretty sure a pitch wheel is unnecassary but almost all cheap synths come with these today.

An arppegiator would be nice though.

My first thought was a Roland Gaia.

That's fair. I think Novation has some cooler keyboards in the Roland price range that could probably work as well. I'm not really a keyboard player though so hopefully more people can speak up on it. Most of my keyboard stuff is done with a controller and VST so I don't really need a super fancy synth for what I need.

Although I recently bought OP-X II and the arpeggiator in that sounds amazing
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i have a 76 key yamaha ypg 235 w/ stand
it's a heavy keyboard, but it gets the job done. I'm still learning a lot, and it does more than i'll ever need.

if you're looking for more synths instead of actual weighted keys and grand piano emulation, then i'd suggest a very small keyboard with all the bells and whistles
you can do a lot with > 32 keys, especially if your goal is just to add depth and layer to your recordings.
don't go for a cheap price though, you get what you pay for, that is very clear with keyboards.
Not for recordings, for live sound. That's why I dont want to buy a MIDI keyboard.

The Novation Mininova looks like it is right up my alley! Hope I can control it with a Keith McMillen 12 Step...
Last edited by Guitar0player at Oct 20, 2016,
microkorgs are alright sometimes but mostly kind of boring

midi keyboard + laptop is a better investment tbh then just run it through speakers for live sound. expensive but so is buying quality analogue synths.

I once fucked around with a roland gaia at guitar center for five minutes and liked it
If you're not serious about keyboards then yeah, go for it.

As a keyboard player myself I'd feel extremely limited by such a small keyboard. I'd buy one for studio and additional live stuff, but I wouldn't use it as an instrument for performance.

Quote by Guitar0player
Not for recordings, for live sound. That's why I dont want to buy a MIDI keyboard.

The Novation Mininova looks like it is right up my alley! Hope I can control it with a Keith McMillen 12 Step...

Let me suggest the Korg Minilogue
It was my privilege
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 20, 2016,
Quote by StewieSwan
Ok. Just keep in mind you get what you pay for

To a point, and Novation makes a good product so I personally don't get what you're trying to imply here.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
To a point, and Novation makes a good product so I personally don't get what you're trying to imply here.

Nothing. I've just always been of the opinion that if you're gonna buy an instrument, save a little and go for the better one.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
Nothing. I've just always been of the opinion that if you're gonna buy an instrument, save a little and go for the better one.

I personally think there is a threshold and once you reach a certain amount of cash, you're paying for name and not necessarily quality. My CS Gibson isn't 2 times a better guitar than my regular USA Gibson (if it's even better at all). If we're strictly talking price though, you would think it should be.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I personally think there is a threshold and once you reach a certain amount of cash, you're paying for name and not necessarily quality. My CS Gibson isn't 2 times a better guitar than my regular USA Gibson (if it's even better at all). If we're strictly talking price though, you would think it should be.

You're definitely paying for the name with Gibson. I had a LP Studio and sold it because I hated it so much.
It was my privilege
Quote by StewieSwan
You're definitely paying for the name with Gibson. I had a LP Studio and sold it because I hated it so much.

you can say the same thing for Jackson, PRS and Fender too when you get to a certain point. It's not just Gibson.

A CV Squier is cheaper or at least close to the same price as an MIM. The 'lesser' Squier that costs less has a lacquered neck, alnico pups and other things that most of the cork-sniffer strat players would pay to have modded on their standard strats. The MIM doesn't. In that case, I would say, 'you get what you pay for' isn't really fair.

Researching, comparing specs and informing yourself is more important to making good choices on gear VS just spending a lot.
Quote by Axelfox

Quote by JustRooster
In case your unsure of a standard keyboard synth Roland, although has discontinued its VB-99 bass synth, its incorporated it into the GR-55 which is a Guitar synth, In which case you just attach a GK-3B pickup system or install a more expensive Graphtech Ghost Hexpander piezo system which will be invisible except for some added switches and knobs, This way you control all your MIDI, Synth and Bass through the peddle. Not exactly cheap but very cool.
I'd say it depends on what you plan on using it for. If you just wanna program some keys into your DAW, then it is. If you're trying to learn how to play, then it isn't.
Quote by chrismendiola
I'd say it depends on what you plan on using it for. If you just wanna program some keys into your DAW, then it is. If you're trying to learn how to play, then it isn't.

I plan to add to the live sound.
Quote by xTURTLENECKx
I bought a microKORG having no keyboard experience and i use it a ton. It's a great synth for people that have no idea wtf they're doing.

I am guessing the Nova is along the lines of that. Seems to be loaded with feature for the keyboardist that cant play keys.
To be fair most of it was filler, I dont think this counts as actual Black MIDI.
Quote by k.lainad
if you're looking for more synths instead of actual weighted keys and grand piano emulation, then i'd suggest a very small keyboard with all the bells and whistles

Ha
Haha
Hahahahahhahaahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahha
Ha
If I'm remembering correctly Pasta actually tunes piano, which is impressive, but also explains why he might be a snob about keyboards that try to emulate the feel of a real piano.
Well, to be fair its like Multi FX units. If you need something to get you electric keys, a Hammond and a grand piano, then get a keyboard. If you just need a piano, get a damn piano.

Back to the topic, should I get the Mininova?