Hey UG! It's been awhile since I've been this forum! I was just wondering if there was a way to replicate Paul Gilbert's guitar tone on his cover of Suite Modale and I Still Have That Other Girl (both on his Silence album). I know Paul used a Fernandes Sustainer pickup but that costs a bit much for me. Maybe there is a pedal that could produce a similar sound. Im planning on learning the whole Suite Modale piece. Thanks in advance guys!
Will Lane Oh why have I never heard of one of these! It's looks like i could make it work with a little practice, looks a little awkward to use. Thanks for the reply!
Quote by pintolosa117
Will Lane Oh why have I never heard of one of these! It's looks like i could make it work with a little practice, looks a little awkward to use. Thanks for the reply!

eBows are useful, but they work significantly differently from Sustainers (I have both).

eBows are a bit clumsy and work on just one string at a time and you need to hold the eBow on the string to sustain a note. If you've got something going on that covers more than one string or that has something fairly fast in between, you have a handful of eBow that sort of prevents you from doing it. They've got a pretty distinctive sound and they *really* work well with a volume pedal

Sustainers can best be thought of as standing on a stage in the perfect spot to produce high-volume feedback from your very loud amp. Except that you don't need an amp, a stage, or volume. A loud amp helps you produce sustain by vibrating the string (and in some cases the whole guitar) at the frequency of the note (notes) you're playing. As long as you stand at that spot and hold down the string, that amp will have your guitar producing that sound forever. The sustainer produces the same kind of feedback, but instead of the sound from the amp vibrating the string externally, it's the electromagnet in the sustainer driver (looks like a pickup) in the neck position in your guitar that does it. There are two sustainer boards, and you want the more expensive one (sorry). There are two switches. One turns the sustainer on and off, the other allows you to select the frequency of the sustain. With the cheap board, there are two positions: the same sound you started with, or an octave up. The transition time from one to the other can be set on the board, so you can actually switch back and forth between the two, and it's like moving your guitar around in front of the amp. On the more expensive board, a third switch option is to combine the two. The expensive board also provides the ability to run external pots that allow you to change internal pots during a performance. I have a sustainer Intensity pot run out to the control group, so that I can adjust it on the fly. You want that.

A sustainer will allow you to record your guitar as if you're in front of a very loud amp, but you can be sitting in the control room with no amp anywhere to be round. Very cool.
I have a Fernandes Ravelle and what's ironic is that it's heavier than a log and will sustain without the sustainer with just a little distortion and the slightest amount of feedback.
I love my Ebows. I have 2...a modern one, and an old silver one from 1976. They work a bit differently. They work best with the neck pickup on, a little bit of volume, and a lot of echo. I can use one for hours, really. Useful live as well as recording, too (layer up single notes to make chords).
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Swells with the volume knob might give you the effect you're looking for, especially at slower tempos.....turn the guitar volume all the way down, hammer on the note you want then smoothly bring the volume back up. Listen to Cathedral by Van Halen to hear how it sounds.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com