So I've read plenty of threads, and seen a lot of videos. On both my Brent Hinds Flying V & Tony Iommi SG the G & B strings both bind in the nut and it makes precise tuning very difficult despite having high ratio tuners. Also when preforming bends playing lead lines I find that the strings usually get knocked out of tune due to the constant binding.

Whenever I change strings I always apply lubricant to the nut, I've tried the pencil trick but I don't like writing on an all white nut plus I never seem to notice a difference. Maybe I'm not grinding enough graphite in there.

So as far as I'm aware, if I choose to not replace the nut which I'd rather not do. I'd have to get a fine a grit of sandpaper and wrap it around the desired string and slowly grind away?
Buy some welding torch tip cleaners. They're dead cheap and they come in all tiny little sizes. You probably just need to widen the slots a bit.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
T00DEEPBLUE For what it's worth I use 11-52 on my V and 10-52 on my SG. The neck on the Hinds V is pretty thick. So I think it can handle higher gauges of strings pretty easily.
Don't worry about what the neck can handle, any properly built guitar can handle more than you can.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Buy some welding torch tip cleaners. They're dead cheap and they come in all tiny little sizes. You probably just need to widen the slots a bit.

+1 i recently went this route with the welding touch tip cleaners. I think they were about $5 at Home Depot. Auto stores may have them too if that is closer.

i honestly haven't gotten around to using them, but they look perfect.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Don't worry about what the neck can handle, any properly built guitar can handle more than you can.

+1 necks can take a lot more than the strings will ever be able to put on them. not a concern.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Welding tip cleaners work fine of the lower strings, 4th to 6th, maybe 3rd, but not so well on high strings. For those I bought a set of cheap feeler gauges and cut teeth in them:

I made little "bow saws" out of the thinner cleaners, using pieces of brazing rod, to stop them flopping about:

Watch that you don't lower the slot while you are widening it.