Hi, so I've been looking for a singer to start a band with for a long time. Last year, I approached someone at my school who I had never really talked to, but I knew she had a good voice. I told her I write music and asked if she would be open to trying out singing my songs. She gave me her contact info, but when I messaged her she never replied. :/

Anyway, I started looking at other options and basically forgot about her, but this year we ended up sitting beside each other in a class. At first it was kind of awkward, but we're becoming pretty friendly around each other now. Part of me wants to ask her again, because I feel like I might have more success now that we're talking every day and we're more comfortable with each other. The only problem I don't know how to bring it up, or if I should bring it up at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The song writing thing might have been mistaken for a "come on" as a way of just meeting her. Make a recording of one or two of your songs (just something simple) and ask her to give you her opinion about them. If she likes them, maybe she would consider singing them. This will show her you are serious about the whole thing and you really are writing songs.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Oct 21, 2016,
Do you find it awkward to ask her because she is a girl?

If she likes to sing and feels passionate about it I don't see why she wouldn't want to give it a shot. Unless she doesn't like your songs, maybe start with some covers? Also maybe she is not that confident and has her own insecurities just get her to come jam and take it from there.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112
I don't find it awkward because she's a girl, I'm actually a girl myself... I just thought it was awkward initially because we had never really talked. Like I said though, now we're pretty friendly with each other.

Just the fact that she didn't reply the first time makes me a little nervous about how to ask her again.
Well hey the worst that can happen is she will say no. Your gonna find that a lot of being a band leader can be pushy. In the future your gonna have a hard time calling venues and dealing with people trying to get gigs. Consider this an exercise where you approach her and see what happens. Down the line your going to have to deal and interact with many people it all part of the landscape!

Go out there and make it happen ask her or beg her to come do one jam session if she says no its not a big deal, if she sings and it doesn't quite work out it's also not a big deal. If she sings with you and sounds good you got yourself a new singer! Go for it girl.
Jackson DK2
1962 Fender Esquire
PEAVEY JSX 212
PEAVEY 6505+ 112