A while back, I bought a Fret-King Esprit 3, a no-nonsense rock machine with 3 P90s...

UG Spiritus Fulgetra
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1696393

I liked its stock Wilkinson P90s, but they were not quite as good as the P90s in several of my Reverends. I tried to get along with them, but...eventually, I ordered and recently received a set of Supermassive 90 pickups from Bareknuckle.

Now, I had INTENDED to order Nantuckets- just slightly higher output than classic P90s- but I think my subconscious mind hijacked my hands when I typed the order in. (The HB-sized version of the Supermassive have been on my mind for over a year.) Supermassives are properly hot- until recently, among Bareknuckle's hottest P90s.

As part of the swap, I had the guitar retuned & set up for New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG).*

Well, I got what I wanted and then some!

The tone is indeed P90+, with more clarity and richer overtones than the Wilkinsons...which is exactly what you'd expect. After all, Stockholm P90s cost @5x what the Wilkinsons do.

To be 100% clear, I would absolutely recommend Wilkinson P90s to someone looking for a quality soapbar on a budget. They're very good. They're just not Bareknuckle good.

So how do the Stockholms compare to the Reverends? Well, the Reverend P90s are a little brighter, but the Stockholms really bring the beef. Where the Reverends are great for classic rock, rockabilly, alt-rock and early metal, Stockholms can reach into some of the more aggressive modern rock & metal tones. For now, at least, they're among the hottest pickups I own.

* and in a slightly related note, I got to try it out with an Orange TH30 when I got it back. WOOT!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
sweet

the reverends are ceramic, aren't they? but then i guess they aren't wound all that hot which would explain what you're saying.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Don't know and couldn't find any info on what kind of magnets are used in Reverends or Wilkinsons.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
I'm not a fan of overwound P90's. You'll find out why if you ever play a bar that has neon signs around.
I'm also not much of a fan of underwound P90's, come to think of it -- there are some aftermarket types that underwind them to reduce the noise, but they emasculate the pickups in the process. I've got some original ('50's and before) P90's, and those are my favorites. The only other set I've got that I really like are Mike Reilander's handwound P90's (something like $185 a pair) that came with the Agile AD-2300 I bought a couple of years ago.
The other thing I'm definitely not a fan of: "matched sets" of P90's. Until about ten years ago, when the aftermarket discovered that there were folks buying P90 guitars again, all P90's were the same in both positions. No need for a hotter bridge pickup and a wimpy neck pickup. Until now.
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet

the reverends are ceramic, aren't they? but then i guess they aren't wound all that hot which would explain what you're saying.

Depends on the pickup. IIRC the P90s they make are ceramic.

Alnico:

Classic H
Revtron
Salnico
Talnico

Ceramic:
CP90
Dual-Pro
Greasy T
Special H

Wilkinson makes a ceramic and alnico P90.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
^ yeah that's true. as you said, the p90s seem to be all ceramic.

^^^ danny: http://www.reverendguitars.com/pickups/
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I've read that page a number of times in the past, and- amusingly for someone whose job includes as a requirement, "read ALL the words"- didn't notice the part about the magnets used.

alhaq369
hahahaha
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman