Hello All -- I have a neck through ready to be finished. It's a maple neck with Honduran mahogany wings. I don't want it to be completely natural, but I do want the difference between the neck and the wings to still be evident.

Since the mahogany is relatively dark, any color stain would have to be dark as well. Could I do something like use a dark colored wood dye and count on the two different woods taking up the stain differently?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
this isn't necessarily an answer and may be a dumb question, but are you going to apply the same finish for the whole back and sides and neck? or different neck finish?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
also, we all love to see pics!
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
trashedlostfdup

I plan on doing the headstock and entire body the same but only use danish oil on the back of the neck because I like the natural wood feel.

Here's a pic:
First suggestion: Don't use Danish oil on the neck. You'll like the feel, but the neck will get filthy fairly quickly and moisture will begin to damage the wood. I have a couple of guitars that are oil finished (including the bodies) and I wouldn't advise that at all unless they're going to be mostly closet queens. Definitely not on any guitar that will be heavily used. Instead, go with a matte finish poly or nitro. You'll get the same results in terms of feel (honestly, the poly is a better choice) as with the Danish oil, but your guitar's neck will be much better protected. Carvin/Kiesel essentially tapes off the neck at the body join and sprays it with a UV-catalyzed matte poly that feels great but is solid as a rock. I have two Variax JTV-89Fs that have bolt necks sprayed with the same stuff, but have mahogany bodies sprayed gloss. Outstanding in both cases. Note this, too -- you can get the matte finish in the same color as the gloss finish, so it doesn't have to be done JUST with stains.

You can use any stain (or translucent finish) that you like, and you'll still see the neck. I have a Carvin that has a "Deep SunsetBurst" finish. The Deep part refers to the use of a black stain to emphasize the grain on the quilt maple front (ala PRS guitars). The Sunset burst is a darker burst look, with a reddish brown edging and a fairly deep amber center, and they've done that both front and back. They also "burst" the neck, with the dark amber in the main part of the neck and some of the darker red/brown edging material down where the neck meets the body and up near the headstock, and I'm still not sure how I feel about that .

The one-color translucents are excellent with this look; I have one early-90's Samick that has a translucent green finish, so that you can see the three-piece maple neck-through and the elm (!) body sides.
check out colortone stains. the different woods will pick up the stain differently and you'll still be able to see the difference in the woods. also the the mahogany should be fairly porous and look very different from the maple when finished.