Hello all,

2 buddies and I decided to start an acoustic trio. Having only ever shopped for electric guitars, I quickly realized there is a lot more to consider when you buy an acoustic guitar.

I'm looking for recommendation on body shapes and wood that would sit well in a mix with 2 other acoustic guitar and a female singer. (I think one is a slightly smaller dreadnaught and the other is way smaller than a normal dreadnaught, I don't know the body shapes names though)

We will be mainly be playing rock and folk. So a lot of strumming with some fingerpicking. I will be assuming the role of “lead” guitar so I need to cut through pretty well.

Thanks for your help!
Last edited by bananagab at Oct 21, 2016,
How much do you want to spend?

As an past acoustic gigger, I don't think that the acoustic properties of the guitar matter very much at all for amplified performance - the pickup(s) and amplifying chain are what count, and how they are EQed. As an example, I used a small acoustic because it was convenient on a crowded stage, and a magnetic soundhole pickup and an electric guitar amplifier to avoid "jangle".

I also used guitars that looked right for the kind of music I was playing.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 21, 2016,
Budget is around $500.

We won't be playing amplified for the majority of the time. So, that whole aspect is less of a concern. For now, I just want a great acoustic sound.
OK, I assumed that you would be amplified - most are these days.

I would go for something with a big body, so it doesn't too jangly to the audience. I personally would go for a dread shape rather than a jumbo for lead playing, as they have more cutting power in a mix. I would be looking at Yamaha and Recording King among others. However, it is really a question of finding one whose tone, look and feel you like, maybe with someone playing and you listening and vice versa. Don't forget to budget for a set up, and I always check that prospective purchases have a decent neck angle.

If you've been playing electric, you can amplify with your electric amp, an acoustic amp isn't mandatory.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 21, 2016,
Thank you!

Been looking at some Godin dread shaped guitars and I intend to go try some out today.
Yamaha, Recording King, Takamine, and Seagull. Each has it's qualities and all are available at that price point. I have gigged extensively with Yamaha and Seagull and you should plan on adding sound reinforcement at some point so get an acoustic/electric now. Even a small coffee house with 20 people can get noisy and requires a little amplification to be heard above the din. We played coffee houses, restaurants, bars, backyard parties, street corner busking, street fairs, company parties, and banquets. Sound reinforcement became necessary very soon.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis