I'm going to present to you the hardest gear list/recommendations you will ever attempt to make. Are you ready?

Exposition: I am a (Grade level expunged) high school-er and I would love to join the open rhythm guitarist section of my school's marching band. They already have a lead guitarist position and the school has provided a Line 6 Spider III (Sneer). It doesn't even have 12 inch speakers. It's a 75W 2x10. I've talked to the guys at my local guitar center and the unanimously agreed that there is no way that that would be able to be heard for what they're doing. I even walked outside and heard them practicing and saw that poor girl trying to be heard over top of the rest of the wind and percussion band. So I guess long story cut short, I need a full stack, like 4x12 to be heard in this band. Also there is no other school based option. It's bring your own gear. I've been recording via BiasFX and practicing with standard 2x10 combo amps.

Now get ready for the modifiers. Here is where it gets 'spensive

I'm not like a freshman or anything, so I've got 1-2 years left. I don't want to just get the stuff and sell it when I'm done. I want to get gear and keep it.

I am more into heavier music.

My preferred tone is, as I've been told, "A fusion of the tonal width of Iron Maiden/Judas Priest british cabs and the hard and sharp mids of Megadeth."

...But here's the real kicker

I can't spend more than $500.

So, any reccomendations? As said above, it's a wind and percussion band. I also said that I went and asked some people from Guitar Center. They gave me a quick list of parts that would work. I'm considering getting these things but I would like to know if I have ANY other options.

• Peavy Valveking head (Not the new expensive one, but the ones with the mesh faceplate going for ~$250 used
  • Marshal MG412F (Which I've seen go for anywhere from $190 - $250)
Last edited by therealgiratina at Oct 22, 2016,
Quote by therealgiratina
They already have a lead guitarist position and the school has provided a Line 6 Spider III (Sneer). It doesn't even have 12 inch speakers. It's a 75W 2x10. I've talked to the guys at my local guitar center and the unanimously agreed that there is no way that that would be able to be heard for what they're doing.

First mistake. Never (mostly never) take advice from "Guitar Center Guys." They (mostly) have their heads anally implanted, are breathing fumes and talking poo-poo. Put that (sneer) Spider up on an amp stand and you'll hear it fine.

I even walked outside and heard them practicing and saw that poor girl trying to be heard over top of the rest of the wind and percussion band.

Wind and Percussion bands are intrinsically loud. And directional (ever hear a marching band marching *away* from you? Whole different sound and volume level). And you're outdoors.

So I guess long story cut short, I need a full stack, like 4x12 to be heard in this band.
I can't spend more than $500.

No, no, you don't need a 4x12 full stack. Think about this for a second. You're going to be hauling that thing around. I can tell you from experience that gets old fast. And if you have the wrong speakers in that 4x12 cabinet (say, Celestion Rocket 50's), you can find your volume being cut by as much as 6 dB due to speaker inefficiency. That's like taking your 100W amp down to 25W.

I have two amps that are NOT usually available at a Guitar Center (because those guys are only going to sell what they've got, right?). Both tube amps. One is a Carvin Belair, a 2x12 50W EL84-based amp that's usually available used on eBay for around $350 (around double that new). I have Celestion v30's in mine, and they're efficient; this is a *very* loud amp, and I usually have it up on an OnStage RS7000 amp stand (slight tilt-back). For transport, the RS 7000 folds flat and fits anywhere. The Belair is relatively compact (26 inches wide x 10.25 inches deep x 17.75 inches high) and relatively lightweight (under 50 lbs).

The other is also a Carvin -- an older X100B with a single 12" speaker (the XV112B designation usually identifies it as a 100W "British" voice speaker, the XV112E usually identifies it as an EV-L speaker). It's also available in a 2x12 configuration and as a head (if you really need a 4x12). Mine is a very early '90's version with a Mouse Fur (Ozite) covering, and I've variously used it with the Brit speaker, the EV-L, and with externals up to a full stack (two 4x12s). This is an extremely powerful amp (100W and *loud*) in any configuration. The circuitry seems to be based on the Mesa amps, and if you put an early Mesa side by side with it, you'll see that they're nearly identical in control layout, etc. In fact, when I bought mine, there was a Carvin factory store on Sunset (Hollywood) about two doors down from the Mesa Factory store, and we walked it down and ran them side by side. The Mesa guys agreed with me that they sounded very much alike, but the Carvin at the time was much less expensive. You can find one of these in the $350 range on eBay as well. http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/88-tubexamps.html It's 22W x 10.5"D x 21.5" H, but thanks to the massive transformers, it's half again as heavy (75 lbs) as the Belair, even though the Belair is a 2x12. The "E" version is a bit heavier because the magnet on the back of the EV-L is massive. Mine uses four EL34s (some models used 6L6s). One caution -- they were reissued (and you can get a 2x12 version, but not, as I recall, a 1x12 version any more), but the transformers are smaller and it uses a digital reverb rather than the original Hammond spring box.

Here's the good thing about either of these amps (the Belair or the XV112). Both are small enough to transport anywhere in virtually any vehicle. Both are extremely loud as is, and will handle anything you're doing with the Wind & Percussion folks, including outdoors. Both can run a half stack (one 4x12) OR a full stack (two 4x12s) and both will be as loud as any Marshall (the XV112B was usually louder than any Marshall).

And both are extremely durable. I bought my Belair off eBay. It had the faux tolex torn off, had lost all of its external hardware and was painted flat black (case and the cream chicken-head knobs included), and it was playing at barely bedroom volumes. That latter was traced to a five-buck ribbon cable, we put new tubes in it and it was good to go. I actually re-covered the case with real tweed cloth and lacquered it (that stuff becomes *structural*) and put new knobs and hardware on it. It then went out and did about 300 bar gigs and the only obvious thing from that is a beer ring on the top and some dirty spots on the tweed. Solid, solid amp.

The XV112 is the same way, except that it was better taken care of. I've hauled that thing into gigs and been laughed at when I set it up next to stacks. On the way out, however, people were genuflecting as it went out to the car. Mouse fur may not be my first choice of covering, but unless it's ripped, it just doesn't show a lot of anything.

In short, you can find combo amps within your budget that will work as well as (and sometimes better than) any half stack and they'll be a LOT easier to transport. Do get that poor girl's Spider up on an amp stand, though. They're not expensive.
I think the Marshall MG full stack is definitely what you need to get great tone and be heard above the rest of the band. Either that or a Cube 60. Just ignore all the haters.

dspellman is a good guy and all but he is kinda old and doesn't really know what HS players want.

One question tho... how are you going to march with a full Marshall stack?? Inquiring minds want to know.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 22, 2016,
Cajundaddy Ahh, I was expecting this question. It's not like a traditional "Marching Band" but more like we plan on playing basketball games. Which brings up a great possibility: What about mic-ing it up to the PA system? I asked the guy in charge and he said "There is no way we can afford anything like that. Makes sense I guess, since there's no keyboard player I guess they haven't the need.

dspellman Thanks for the tips man. I've already got combo after combo of amps and they all aren't anywhere near 75W. My strongest one is like 60W. I've taken what you have said into consideration, however I still will most likely get a full stack because hey, I've been playing for ~10 years now. So why not? It's going to happen eventually :P EDIT: I also have two amp stands lying around somewhere that I'm not using. I may let the school use them for a bit.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Just ignore all the haters.

One question tho... how are you going to march with a full Marshall stack?? Inquiring minds want to know.

"all the haters?" He's gotten exactly one response that isn't yours.
...WAIT, you EDITED. No fair!!!
I know what high schoolers want. IJDGAF.

Marching is a whole different thing; I don't know that he's mentioned "marching." That said, there have been solutions to this for marching bands (not with full stacks, though) for years. It usually involves someone either pushing a cart or wearing what amounts to a rickshaw bolted to a harness, with a battery, an inverter and the amp. Note here that it's probably her little brother (check out the hair color on both guitarist and "pusher").

The other solution (for parades) is usually a small "float" adjunct following along behind the band that carries a generator.

In any case, someone "back there" is in charge of the ampage... Unless you're carrying your little battery-powered amp slung across your shoulder and pointing backwards.

Last edited by dspellman at Oct 22, 2016,
Quote by therealgiratina
Cajundaddy Ahh, I was expecting this question. It's not like a traditional "Marching Band" but more like we plan on playing basketball games. Which brings up a great possibility: What about mic-ing it up to the PA system? I asked the guy in charge and he said "There is no way we can afford anything like that. Makes sense I guess, since there's no keyboard player I guess they haven't the need.

If the *band* has its own PA system, it would be a no-brainer to hook up something like a modeler (Line 6 Pod, Amplifrier, etc.) direct into the mixer. If you've got one of those, the only thing the "guy in charge" would need to afford is the cable from the modeler to the mixer, unless you brought that along as well.

Quote by therealgiratina
dspellman Thanks for the tips man. I've already got combo after combo of amps and they all aren't anywhere near 75W. My strongest one is like 60W. I've taken what you have said into consideration, however I still will most likely get a full stack because hey, I've been playing for ~10 years now. So why not?.

I've still got four 4x12s (got rid of one) in storage. I can tell you "why not" at length, but what I can tell you is that a full stack (TWO 4x12s are a "full stack," not just one) is not a guitarist coming-of-age thing any more. In fact, it's getting rare that you're allowed to bring one into a professional gig. I get that you're a high schooler and haven't been out there yet, but these days those things are used, sadly, more for stage decoration, leastways here in LA. You should, therefore, listen to the Guitar Center Guys.
Last edited by dspellman at Oct 22, 2016,
dspellman,
No one is accusing you of being a hater. On the contrary you gave legit advice. It's just not the advice a HS player is ready to accept cause you are probably older than his dad so what could you possibly know about guitar amps.

No I am bracing this young lad for the haters that surely will come after my encouragement to buy the amp of his dreams. The venerable Marshall MG. We all know that this amp sounds like a tin can full of bees and is the poster child for "all foam, no beer", or "all show, no go", but lets be honest. Every kid needs to own at least one total POS amp and suffer a little for his choice so that he truly develops a sense of value for quality gear (that costs a lot more) in the future. The sting from owning the MG full stack is a lesson he will never forget so don't rob him of this most excellent learning experience.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Quote by Cajundaddy
dspellman,
No one is accusing you of being a hater. On the contrary you gave legit advice. It's just not the advice a HS player is ready to accept cause you are probably older than his dad so what could you possibly know about guitar amps. No I am bracing this young lad for the haters that surely will come after my encouragement to buy the amp of his dreams. The venerable Marshall MG. We all know that this amp sounds like a tin can full of bees and is the poster child for "all foam, no beer", or "all show, no go", but lets be honest. Every kid needs to own at least one total POS amp and suffer a little for his choice so that he truly develops a sense of value for quality gear (that costs a lot more) in the future. Owning the MG full stack is a lesson he will never forget so don't rob him of this most excellent learning experience.

Once again, sir, you are correct.

The ability to make poor decisions is not, however, limited to high school:

dspellman I completely missed that because in the the last pic that gorgeous red SG. Wow.

EDIT: Hold up, MGs' sound like shit? I want detail. I'm all ears and I came here for names, numbers, and reccomendations. Not bickering and opinions.
Quote by therealgiratina
dspellman I completely missed that because in the the last pic that gorgeous red SG. Wow.

EDIT: Hold up, MGs' sound like shit? I want detail. I'm all ears and I came here for names, numbers, and reccomendations. Not bickering and opinions.

Yep. Just absolutely godawful. But don't take our word for it. Take your guitar down to the local music store that has em, plug in, turn up and wail. Then watch all the others in the store covering their ears from the horror of the "trash can full of bees" sound. Cheap Chinese junk. They are also not very loud. A 100w MG stack is about as loud as a 20w Fender Deluxe Reverb combo. Welcome to the realities of marketing puffery.

Long story short: Get the Valve King 1x12 combo. It's not my favorite amp but it will accomplish your stated goals. Enjoy!

Cajundaddy Oh... It all makes sense now.. I played one at GC and I thought it sounded pretty ok but then again it had that $2K Marshal head on it. Got it. That's why they're in the sub $300 range on ebay. Alright. I personally don't like the sound of Peavey cabs, so is there any other options available? Oh yeah, and how are those Peavey Windsors? I've been reading mixed, albeit good responses on them. And I kinda like the look of them. Vintage and classy.
For the tones you want under $500?
- Used Mesa- any model in decent condition. Check Craigslist and play through it before you buy it. Pro quality throughout and world class OD.
- Jet City new- Even the 20w will sound WAY better than the MG and is as loud. The 50w is a sure thing for any gig. Good hi gain tone, low price.
- Traynor used- Go play through a few and see what you think. Serious hi gain tone.

And while I'm on the topic of personally, I REALLY don't like Line 6. Their pods were cool when they came out or so I heard but I've messed around with a fair number of spiders and in my experience, unless you drop $700 for the full stack, you're going to get a harsh sounding, cheese grater on a chalkboard gain tone. And even on the high end spiders I still have my issues. I'm sorry Line 6 (And I know it's a preset, but still) , but you really should rename your "Aces High" preset to "Aces High covered by Dimebag".
If you guys don't mind sticking around a bit longer so I can ask, How's Kustom? Dirt cheap and not that known afaik.
Quote by therealgiratina
If you guys don't mind sticking around a bit longer so I can ask, How's Kustom? Dirt cheap and not that known afaik.

Been around forever and run full spectrum. The early stuff was quite good and some of the recent stuff still is.

Been around forever and run full spectrum. The early stuff was quite good and some of the recent stuff still is.

Yep, my first "real" amp was a Kustom made in about 1975, solid state. It got pretty good sound but was hard to dial in, loud as hell if i cranked it, but still decent at low volume. I finally found out about tube amps and found out why I never got "that sound". Kustom has made some good amps, John Fogerty used one in CCR for years, and as far as I know, still uses it onstage now and then. Listen to Susie Q or anything on the same album, that's the amp he was using. And old black rolled and pleated Kustom made about 1967. My Kustom 1 lead wasn't nearly as good. (100 watts, 1x12 combo)

Some of their newer stuff is pretty good, some of it more useful as doorstops. Or expensive paperweights.

For what you need, a 100 watt tube 1x12 combo would work fine, if it has a decent speaker. I've always preferred 2x12, but I'm old school. But I played a 130 watt Peavey MX through a vintage Kustom 2x12 cabinet for 20 years, no, I never cranked it to full blast...frikkin LOUD amp...never got it past 7 and that was with a rhythm player using a Marshall stack cranked up.

What brand it has on the nameplate, I'm not too picky. I can get a good sound out of any tube amp I plug into, might take a couple of minutes tinkering with the knobs though. Fender, Marshall, Traynor, Mesa, Randall, Peavey, I've played all those and a few others, any of them will get a good sound. I go for a clean amp and use pedals for distortion, overdrive etc. Right now I'm using mostly a 15 watt Fender Pro Jr and a pedal board. About the only thing I can't do is get that "wall of sound" I'd need for metal or Pink Floyd...with a different speaker cab than the built in 10" one I could do that too.

Since you'll be playing at basketball games, mobility won't be a problem, but as someone else said already, hauling a heavy amp around does get old. I still lug my 89lb Fender Super Reverb around sometimes, when I need the volume level, but I use a dolly these days...Still have the old MX and Kustom cab but never used it any more, don't want to trash the vintage 1967 cab hauling it to gigs. Can't find those things any more, it's probably worth a lot more than it was new, in the condition it's in now, which is very good. I want to keep it that way so I haul the Super Reverb when I need a louder amp, it has a cover...

Get something that's not too heavy to haul around, sounds good, and I'd go with tubes.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Oct 22, 2016,
Quote by therealgiratina
And while I'm on the topic of personally, I REALLY don't like Line 6. Their pods were cool when they came out or so I heard but I've messed around with a fair number of spiders and in my experience, unless you drop $700 for the full stack, you're going to get a harsh sounding, cheese grater on a chalkboard gain tone. And even on the high end spiders I still have my issues.

You want to be careful about tarring all of Line 6 with too broad a brush, here. I get that you don't like the Spider III (sneer), but not liking Line 6 overall means you don't like the Pods (I've got XTs and HD500X), the Helix (I've got one of those with another on the way) and the Variax guitars (I'm at four of them at the moment). I don't have any of their amps, but the Spider III (sneer) isn't all they've done. The DT25 and DT50 are pretty impressive, as are the spider valve amps designed by Bogner. And...uh...a full stack is TWO 4x12s. A half stack is one 4x12. Just so we're clear.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-jvm410h-1960av-and-1960bv-tube-guitar-full-stack
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-dsl100h-and-mx412a-4x12-100w-all-tube-half-stack
Alright OP, if you wanna be heard above a brass band...

A 30-50w combo amp will do the job. You don't need a 4x12.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
ESP Horizon NT-7 (SD Full Shreds)
UA Apollo Twin Duo
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Focal Alpha 65 monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ok. Thanks for all this input. I will most likely be getting just a 2x12, but again anything is better than Line 6 :P

No seriously, The 2x12's are seemingly more expensive, but I may be looking in the wrong areas. On a side note, I would quite literally chop off my left nut and sell it to get an Orange cab, but we all know that's not happening. So, I'm looking to undoubtedly getting a Peavey VK100. If not, *Possibly* a Windsor. Either way, I was looking at some gorgeous looking Panama 2x12 cabs, but I really don't know, but hey, that's why I'm here, right?
Last edited by therealgiratina at Oct 23, 2016,
*Ahem* unless you guys happen to have somthing you aren't using you would be willing to pass on to me *ahem*
I am finding difficulty believing that you can't be heard with a 75Watt amp. OK, it's a crappy amp, Line6...
But have you had the amp checked out by someone who knows what they are doing and who isn't trying to sell you a new one.

Do you have any idea what the weight of a decent 4x12 is????
I have a Marshall Superlead100 ans 2x 4x12 cabs... way over powerful for what you want, it can be heard 2-3 miles away over flat ground and you wouldn't want it to fall on you, it is not light. it doesn't get used these days.... and NO, you can't have it.
Last edited by oblivion5036 at Oct 23, 2016,
Quote by oblivion5036
I am finding difficulty believing that you can't be heard with a 75Watt amp. OK, it's a crappy amp, Line6...
But have you had the amp checked out by someone who knows what they are doing and who isn't trying to sell you a new one.

Do you have any idea what the weight of a decent 4x12 is????
I have a Marshall Superlead100 ans 2x 4x12 cabs... way over powerful for what you want, it can be heard 2-3 miles away over flat ground and you wouldn't want it to fall on you, it is not light. it doesn't get used these days.... and NO, you can't have it.

I watched one fall over once. Back of a flatbed outdoor gig (not mine) at a car show, and the guy had the whole thing stacked up and cranked up. One of the cars hit the flatbed (gently) and the stack went over, almost in slow motion. The top cabinet came forward, the head went over backwards.
Quote by therealgiratina

My old Kustom Quad 100 DFX can cause permanent hearing damage, and that's only a 2x12 combo, The Double Cross half stack is capable of vaporizing small animals, But its not something you'd describe as portable, the cab alone weighs in at 100 LBS, Kustom was more of a boutique builder in its hey day identified for they're tuck and roll upholstery, Today they concentrate on budget gear and are often over looked, Maybe for good reason, as they tend to get so so reviews these days, The old Celestion equipped stuff on the other hand could hold its own with anything on the market, As wattage VS speaker output can be deceiving, Meaning 50w with the right speakers can require hearing protection, If shear volume is what your after and your current amp has a line out have you considered a powered monitor? as shear volume is what they're designed for, Meaning if not totally disgusted with the tone or options of the (sneer) Line -6 then it may be a cheaper and more efficient means to your goal, and it appears Kustom seems to be pursuing that angle more than it is its guitar amps these days, I actually still use a set of old KSC15m's although passive and through a little 500w powered mixer, but there still loud as hell, and beat to crap, things look like they've been through a few wars and I can attest they have, Keep on kicking and refuse to die,
nastytroll Damn! That sounds absolutely metal as fuck. Also sounds 'spensive. I'm probably going to pass on something that powerful though. I still want to run whatever I get through an attenuator though so It's not 100% an outdoor/stadium shaker.
Quote by therealgiratina
nastytroll Damn! That sounds absolutely metal as fuck. Also sounds 'spensive. I'm probably going to pass on something that powerful though. I still want to run whatever I get through an attenuator though so It's not 100% an outdoor/stadium shaker.

Actually I was thinking of finding a good home for that Quad, I don't really use it any more, They pop up on EBay and Reverb from time to time, Loud as hell but don't expect much from its built in effects, They suck, so stand alone peddles might be a good idea, I was using it lined out to an old Peavey TNT 130 bass amp pushing a EVH15B, I just have no need for that much these days, Both mint and still have the original user manual and floor tags for the Kustom. $500 for both sounds about fair, Shipping may be a problem though as were still at that 100 LB mark, The Double Cross, Yea I told my kid I wanted to be buried with it. He said sure pop, But do really think you'd know if I shoved a ham bone up your ass and let the dogs drag you away? Some how I don't think that amp and several guitars will be being buried anytime soon, the little shit will probably shove a Dean up my ass, tie a Marshall around my neck and let the wannabe Metal Heads drag me away
Last edited by nastytroll at Oct 23, 2016,
Quote by nastytroll
My old Kustom Quad 100 DFX can cause permanent hearing damage, and that's only a 2x12 combo, ,

Are you talking about this Kustom?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-KUSTOM-BY-ROSS-INC-2-12-SPEAKER-CABINET-1968-CTS-SPEAKERS-MODEL-2-12C-/371750526306?hash=item568e0edd62:g:im0AAOSwxp9W9umr

Mine is the same one, 1967 model. If you don't know it, the only time they put "By Ross INC" on the metal logo plate was in 1967, the first year they were made. I bought mine about1990 when I picked up a pair of Emminence 12's, for $40. Still working perfect, and it's damn loud. Looks good too, not trashed and torn like many of the older Kustom rigs you see. Looks almost identical to this one, same color. No idea what happened to the amp, the guy only had the cabinet. I love it, never will let it go.

OH wait...I just saw my mistake, you said COMBO...sorry...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
OP, have you considered Marshall DSL40C, that should be loud enough to be heard over marching band and cover your needs later (Metallica, Megadeth, etc.).
Maybe a little more than your budget but you can buy used from Guitar Center online.