Good day everyone!

I'm asking this question out of my curiosity. I'm a teen and playing guitar for fun but as I'm get older I'm going to have a job and get what I want.

Enough said. What would it cost to actually get a high quality sound like bigger band especially like Metallica?

I need to have a desire and I need exactly number to set goal and achieve it! I'm not persue in music career!!!!

Sorry, English is not my first language!
Last edited by sosxradar at Oct 22, 2016,
What type of Metallica tones are you after? They've used a ton of different setups over the years, all with varying results. Are you after a particular tone on a specific album?

Absolutely nothing they use is cheap gear, but we can probably help you get something similar on a budget if you give us a more specific tone you want.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 22, 2016,
one million dollars.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by sosxradar
Good day everyone!

I'm asking this question out of my curiosity. I'm a teen and playing guitar for fun but as I'm get older I'm going to have a job and get what I want.

Enough said. What would it cost to actually get a high quality sound like bigger band especially like Metallica?

I need to have a desire and I need exactly number to set goal and achieve it! I'm not persue in music career!!!!

Sorry, English is not my first language!

Your English is better than some native speakers here.

Check these out and price them locally.
http://equipboard.com/pros/james-hetfield
http://www.groundguitar.com/james-hetfield-guitars-and-gear/
https://metallica.com/band/members
http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-plays-what/68-metallica-james-hetfield-guitar-gear-rig-and-equipment
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one million dollars.

To sound like exactly like them, that's probably not far off. Because what you're hearing on a recorded song, sosxradar, is not just the gear Metallica uses, but all of the studio wizardry (and the expertise that works it) applied to their base sound.

But there are ways to get their basic tone for $1000-2000. Just don't expect to nail AJFA or One without some noticeable differences.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
one million dollars.

and over 30 years of experience.

But to get somewhere near, you could probably get there for a couple of grand, as dannyalcatraz said.
Check this video out for some inspiration:

you might want to rethink this ? as it really isn't all that realistic. as mentioned there are a bunch of factors involved and in the end chances are you won't sound just like Metallica. on the other hand if you want to put together a rig that will get you a professional sound then that is more realistic. you'll need a decent guitar and amp and probably a few good fx (pedal or multi-fx unit). it's good to have goals you must have to make sure you don't try to bite off more than you can chew and that they are at least reasonably attainable.
I'd say you could do it for less than $1k easy. Find a solid Marshall-voiced amp, humbucker-equipped guitar with a FR, a wah, and you're set.
It totally depends on what Metallica album you're talking about. All of their albums sound completely different from each other.

It also depends on your budget.

Just bear in mind that your budget is proportional to your expectations. Don't expect to sound convincingly like Metallica for $500, you will be disappointed. Their tones, whatever era you're talking about, are expensive to acquire.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
For just the guitar rig, about $20,000 and around 30 years of practice. And a good studio.

Or, you can pick up a used Marshall at a pawn shop, find a Ibanez TS9 and a good distortion pedal, maybe a digital delay, and come as close as most anybody else, since you don't have their fingers. Total under $2000 plus a guitar. Possibly less if you find some good deals.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'd say Epi V or Explorer with some kind of PAF pickup or an LTD with active pickups, Marshall JCM2000 an maybe a delay and wah pedal.
That'd be along the lines of the original Metallica sound. Might need overdrive too, say Boss overdrive.

The later years, who knows and who cares?

Their rhythm sound is pretty much Hatfield and his downpicking., V or Explorer guitar (his was knockoff BTW), and a Marshall stack.
If you really want to nail all their tones, I'd get a modeller. I have a Kemper and there are actually profiles up for every album and in a mix, they sound spot-on. I'd pull out my best Metallica-impression and record a sample, but I think this video sums it up better.

Mayones Regius
Gibson SG
Fender CS Telecaster
Kemper Profiler
Quote by diabolical
I'd say Epi V or Explorer with some kind of PAF pickup or an LTD with active pickups, Marshall JCM2000 an maybe a delay and wah pedal.
That'd be along the lines of the original Metallica sound. Might need overdrive too, say Boss overdrive.

The later years, who knows and who cares?

Their rhythm sound is pretty much Hatfield and his downpicking., V or Explorer guitar (his was knockoff BTW), and a Marshall stack.
This.

A couple of other things I'd like to throw in as well..

If going w/a passive pup, Hetfield's flying V copy supposedly had a Duncan Invader in it at some point (A lot of folks here hate that pup, but it's worth mentioning). His Gibson Explorer had either a Gibby 500T or Dirty Fingers pickup (whatever came stock at that time), before he went the EMG route. They were definitely using some hot pickups, but with the right EQ-ing, and enough boost/gain, I don't see why something PAF-ish couldn't pull off something similar (I can get very close w/the BB Pros in my Cherry V).

And definitely +1 on the overdrive. Even though they modded their Marshalls, they were still using Tubescreamers (I want to say TS9) to boost them more. James supposedly used a ProCo Rat on Kill em All though.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Last edited by FlightofIcarus at Oct 23, 2016,
Marshall JCM or a DSL.
Overdrive
wah
Delay

high output pickups.

I also like the 500t.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Metallica's tone isnt so unique that it matters a whole bunch. I mean, their tone has always been great, but at the end of the day, it's more about nailing their riffs through pretty much any decent boosted medium to high gain tube amp.

You could probably get a Marshall or a Dual Rec, a tubescreamer, and a guitar with EMGs and as long as your playing is up to snuff it would sound awesome and no one would care if it sounded a little different than the originals.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I wouldn't say those Kemper profiles are that close to deserve a cigar, not for the money. My PSA-1 does better on the "Master" sounds.

My breakdown would be:
Kill'em All - boosted plexi or jcm800 tone, pretty standard for the era. Mustaine got same sound first two albums with BCRich, Slayer too but they had better modded amps imo and sounded better.

RTL - lots of reverb, kinda lacking the original character, "meh". Mediocre production probably also didn't help.

MoP - a bit too much reverb, great guitar sound anyway, probably I'd care to repriduce thus 1st.

AJFA - a bit honky soubdibg, but first 3-4 songs guitars sound grear, probably want to mimic that.

Black album - a bit dark and boomy, maybe...

Past that - who cares?

The new album has peaked my interest somewhat, especially "Moth...". Sounds good too if it weren't for the sloppy drumming and Kirk "Wah"mett's cliched guitar work.

I think Anthrax sounds much better on the Caggiano produced albums, if they could write a decent tune...

I'm up there with Kail though, a decent med to high gain valve amp and a hot pickup in a big chunk of wood guitar would do.

Btw, the early Explorer was a knockoff, probably Japanese, so it can't be stock, maybe even the pickup on it is fake. There might be some documentation on that.
Quote by diabolical

Past that - who cares?

You're missing out on a lot of killer guitar tones if you hold that view.

It's a bit unfair to completely gloss over the production quality of Load/Reload and Garage Inc. just because they weren't the most popular albums. That era had by far the nicest guitar tones of the band's career imo. Super thick and ballsy sounding. Very reminiscent of the 90's when duel rectos were all the rage. Even though those albums were from 20 years ago, and the quality of the production still sounds great now. Same obviously cannot be said for the production quality of their albums in the 80's lol
Quote by Axelfox
You sure the Invader was made back then? I thought they came out later...

His early sound was a result of using a Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ as preamp slaved into moded 100W Marshall JCM800 for the dirty tones, while using a Roland JC120 for cleans.
Quote by diabolical
You sure the Invader was made back then? I thought they came out later...

Yep. Every single source reports the usage of an invader on Kill 'em All
Quote by Axelfox
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're missing out on a lot of killer guitar tones if you hold that view.

It's a bit unfair to completely gloss over the production quality of Load/Reload and Garage Inc. just because they weren't the most popular albums. That era had by far the nicest guitar tones of the band's career imo. Super thick and ballsy sounding. Very reminiscent of the 90's when duel rectos were all the rage. Even though those albums were from 20 years ago, and the quality of the production still sounds great now. Same obviously cannot be said for the production quality of their albums in the 80's lol

Maybe you're right but most people aren't looking for those tones. Proof that songwriting trumps production every time.
Quote by diabolical
Maybe you're right but most people aren't looking for those tones. Proof that songwriting trumps production every time.

But that misses the point of this thread. This thread is about guitar tones, not songwriting.

For the record, I think songwriting is only better than good quality production up to a point. I'm just as interested in the way an album is produced as is the way it's written. And Death Magnetic (I know it's beating a dead horse to say this but it's such a prime example) would have been a good album if not for the production quality being a complete joke. I don't personally think production quality and songwriting quality are analogous to comparing the importance of one over the other. It's a bit like saying that the pickups of a guitar are more important than it's tuners. But that's just me.
Quote by Axelfox
luke.g.henderso ditto! I installed one for a friend on his Schecter that hated his Dimebucker so I naturally assumed it was 90s pickup. That was the first time I've heard of them. It was a pleasant surprise in comparison to the Dimebucker, he got great sound on his JSX with it, even though reviews weren't stellar for that pickup.
1st Metallica album was JCM 800 with tubescreamer. for sure. they recorded album in my hometown and stayed at a friends house. fun guys back then
Quote by diabolical

What's on here if you can see it.

well not exactly. dave wasn't in the band when Kill'em All was recorded. as I mentioned the album was recorded in my hometown (Rochester NY, Music America studios. not all the gear used belonged to the band. got to hang with the band when they were here as they stayed at a friends house.
i had an explorer through a sansamp GT2 and got a pretty good metallica tone.

mind you, chasing their studio tones is going to be quite a bit harder.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae