'NWOTHM' (New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal), Trad Revival Bands

During the recent wave of thrash revivalist bands that starting springing up all over the place, something else was lurking. Something that started in the early 2000s but didn't quite take off as well as all those new thrash bands. Slowly building its way up, and now in the past few years it has fucking exploded. A wave of bands, many of them from Brazil and Sweden, but all over the world as well, trying to revive the look, feel, and sound of 80s USPM, speed metal, heavy metal and NWOBHM. They dress the part, their over-the-top album artworks and their angular band logos. Replicating as closely as they can the feel of those 80s records and bands with obviously more modern production principles. They're knowledge of 80s metal is unquestionable, and they have the sound down to a science. Not an art, but a science. Everything from Mercyful Fate to Brocas Helm to Motorhead, they've labored to recreate. At least there's probably something for everyone... But is any of this shit any good?

There's so many of them. I've cataloged dozens of them. Shifting through them has been an ongoing process. As with most revivalist movements, a lot of it is generic as hell. As I said earlier, they have it down to a science. As if there's an instruction manual for 80s metal and they put everything that needs to be in there based on that. But it definitely isn't all bad. In fact it ranges from generic to pretty kickass, but never bad. There's lots of great riffing and a fuck ton of fun to be had here. I'll talk starting points and the best bands I've found so far. The majority of them have been released this year or in the last couple of years.

*NOTE* Most people on the internet group bands like Visigoth, Demon Bitch and Portrait in with these bands, and while they play more traditional style of heavy metal and they are new bands, I think there is an obvious distinction in sound and identity between them and the core revivalist movement.

Starting Points (most accessible for total noobs to metal):
Cauldron - Tomorrow's Lost ~ In Ruin
Holy Grail
Skull Fist
White Wizzard

The Best *work in progress*:
Alpha Tiger - discography
Atlantis - Hotter than a Burning Church
Axevyper - Into the Serpent's Den
Baphomet's Blood - In Satan We Trust
Booze Control - The Lizard Rider
Elm Street - Knock'em Out... With a Metal Fist
Enforcer - Diamonds ~ Death By Fire ~ From Beyond
Evil Invaders - Evil Invaders ~ Pulses of Pleasure
Dexter Ward - Randezvous With Destiny
Grey Wolf - Glorious Death
Hellraiser - Revenge of the Phoenix
Iron Curtain - Guilty as Charged
Legion - Shadow of the King ~ Warbeast
Lethal Shock - Evil Aggressor
Night Demon - Curse of the Damned
Rocka Rollas - discography
Skelator - Time of the Sword Rulers ~ Death to All Nations ~ Agents of Power
Skullwinx - discography
Steel Hammer - Steel Hammer
Witchunter - Back on the Hunt
Wolf - Wolf ~ The Black Flame ~ Ravenous

The Rest:

Armour
Attic (almost a Mercyful Fate tribute band)
Axxion
BAT
Battalion
Black Mass
Black Trip
Blizzen
Borrowed Time
Burning
Cobra
Colossus
Crimson Fire
Crownz Sigil
Daily Fight
Daimond Falcom
Damned Nation
Deathstorm
Demons Dream
Exordium Mors
Fire Strike
Flight
Forcer
Frade Negro
Frenzy
Frozen Sword
Fyrecross
Gentry Lord
Gravebreaker
Grave Cross
Gygax
Hazy Hamlet
Hellraiser
Hessian
Hitten
Horacle
Iron Driver
Iron Spell
Ironsword
Iron Vessel
Jet Jaguar
Katana
Leather Heart
Liquid Steel
Lonewolf
Louderforce
Lurking Fear
Metal Inquisitor
Midnight Priest
Monument
Moros Nyx
Motorfire
Neuronspoiler
Night
Night Crime
Nighthawks
Omery Rising
Raptore
Revenge
Ruler
Scarblade
Serpent
Silverbones
Sons of Lioth
Space Vacation
Speedbreaker
Stallion
Starblind
Steelballs
Steel Machine
Steel Messiah
Steelwing
Stereo Nasty
Street Lethal
Stonewall
Thunder Lord
Volture
Warning Sign
Wildhunt
Within the Fire
Wytch Hazel
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Any thoughts on Convent Guilt belonging in here? Or on Convent Guilt in general -

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Fuck yes. Been looking for something to binge on. I noticed this thread and completely overlooked it, but it's so fucking good. I keep seeing Night Demon around the places I frequent online, but never listened. Strange. Oh well, might as well give them a go.
Yeah, Night Demon are rad. I would also put money on you digging Lethal Shock.

The Elm Street album is pretty exemplary of the modern sound and one of the most ambitious and varied albums listed. Hellraiser is also one of my favorites, they have more interesting song structures and more intricate riffs than many of the other bands. Alpha Tiger are great and maybe shouldn't even be in here as they are pretty much straight up German power metal (first album anyway). They still kinda have the feel and image of these other bands though. IDK.

Quote by Emenius Sleepus
Any thoughts on Convent Guilt belonging in here? Or on Convent Guilt in general -

They sound cool, I like it. Not really sure if they would belong here or not. Most of the bands here make some pretty big appeals to nostalgia, so I don't know if Convent Guilt are like that or not.

Do Vulture's Vengeance count? You gotta listen to that EP KYTO!

reminiscent of Blind Guardian, from vocals to guitar melodies.
Holy fukk that EP kicks ass. Vocals are straight up Hansi. Lots of cool atmosphere to the riffs and melodies. Almost like the kind of cosmic/ethereal atmosphere you usually only get from black/death bands.

Last edited by Kytokinesis at Nov 7, 2016,