Hi everyone,
Looking to upgrade from Ibanez GIO GRG150DXB (black and yellow one).
Can I buy GREAT guitar for £500-£600 with good Floyd or not ?
No second hand, for fast playing, hard rock, metal.(with skinny neck)
I am afraid to spend this money and buy something an to be disappointed because of the rubbish Floyd
This one have a "floating bridge"of sorts, don't know exactly what it is, non locking and it's a pain!).
What is the best S and RG series I can get for this money?
Or maybe not Ibanez, but strat type?
I was looking on the net for a while but I am overwhelmed.
Thank You
Last edited by branimir19751 at Oct 23, 2016,
I think the mistake many people make when choosing a guitar is basing it on the name on the headstock, In which case that Ibanez logo is nothing but window dressing, Ibanez designed it and some Indonesian or Chinese company made it, Same companies that make guitars for countless other brand names, Meaning the Ibanez and the Jackson, Dean or whatever can be made by the same company and assembled by the same 14 year old Chinese girl, Think that logo means a flying rats ass to her? No, she doesn't even play guitar, So lets use this as an example, So Monday she's assembling Ibanez's, and putting a Ibanez logo on the headstock. Tuesday she's assembling a nearly exact same guitar except putting an Agile logo on it, Does she know or care if the Agile is half the price of the Ibanez? Think about it, Actually that would be impossible as all Agile's are made in S Korea and of much better quality, I was just using that as an example, Meaning once you get past the logo syndrome there's a lot of very nice guitars on the market provided you know where to look and what to look for, In this case Licensed Floyd Rose means Cheap Chinese made FR copy. Original or Special means actual FR bridge, Specials being made in S Korea and originals being made in USA or Germany by Schaller, Ibanez uses they're own designs called the Edge, which is a kind of FR design but slightly different to circumvent the copyright laws, Where they're made? one can only guess, But if I were to guess I'd say China, but to answer your question, Yes, it can be done, I have one of the Agile Interceptor Pro's with the FR Special and EMG 81/85 pickups , basically a rebadged Jackson Soloist SLATX with a slightly different headstock, Cost me $499 USD, That Jackson will run you closer to $1,000 USD, Cover the logos and play them side by side chances are you'd choose the Agile,
http://www.rondomusic.com/product7724.html
Last edited by nastytroll at Oct 23, 2016,
Quote by nastytroll
I think the mistake many people make when choosing a guitar is basing it on the name on the headstock, In which case that Ibanez logo is nothing but window dressing, Ibanez designed it and some Indonesian or Chinese company made it, Same companies that make guitars for countless other brand names, Meaning the Ibanez and the Jackson, Dean or whatever can be made by the same company and assembled by the same 14 year old Chinese girl, Think that logo means a flying rats ass to her? No, she doesn't even play guitar, So lets use this as an example, So Monday she's assembling Ibanez's, and putting a Ibanez logo on the headstock. Tuesday she's assembling a nearly exact same guitar except putting an Agile logo on it, Does she know or care if the Agile is half the price of the Ibanez? Think about it, Actually that would be impossible as all Agile's are made in S Korea and of much better quality, I was just using that as an example, Meaning once you get past the logo syndrome there's a lot of very nice guitars on the market provided you know where to look and what to look for, In this case Licensed Floyd Rose means Cheap Chinese made FR copy. Original or Special means actual FR bridge, Specials being made in S Korea and originals being made in USA or Germany by Schaller, Ibanez uses they're own designs called the Edge, which is a kind of FR design but slightly different to circumvent the copyright laws, Where they're made? one can only guess, But if I were to guess I'd say China, but to answer your question, Yes, it can be done, I have one of the Agile Interceptor Pro's with the FR Special and EMG 81/85 pickups , basically a rebadged Jackson Soloist SLATX with a slightly different headstock, Cost me $499 USD, That Jackson will run you closer to $1,000 USD, Cover the logos and play them side by side chances are you'd choose the Agile,

Agile are great if you're in the US, shipping, customs and VAT kill the deal over in the UK.

But this is good advice.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/list-of-guitars-made-by-world-musical-instrument-co-ltd-korea.1702997/

So a lot of big brands are made in the same factory.

I find that Thomann has one of the best sites for narrowing down searches, but not necessarily the best in price. Check out some of these ideas:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/st_models.html?oa=pra&feature-44934%5B0%5D=FR-Style&feature-44934%5B1%5D=Kahler&filter=true&price-first=400&price-last=800

Once you get onto the second page, at just below £500, you start getting guitars that come with Floyd Rose Specials, and either Seymour Duncan or EMG pickups. So I would say either that page, or maybe sneak a peak at the next page, to see what interests you.

Where in the UK do you live?
keep an eye out- you might get lucky and get a deal on a prestige. if not, personally i'd pass.

the charvel pro mods and the jackson bolt-on pro series again, if you get lucky and find a deal, you might get for that.

apart from that you're probably gonna have to save a couple of hundred more to be sure of something good if you're adamant about its being new (not a problem, i prefer new guitars too and if you know that's what you're like I don't think it makes much sense to go second-hand).
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Save up a little more and have a look at Mensinger stuff, they've got a couple of their shredder guitars up for sale right now, hand made in Poland.

(Reminds me of a certain discontinued Ibanez model)

https://www.public-peace.de/index.php/electric-guitars/is-mensingerguitars/foreigner/1491-foreigner-2-tone-sunburst070210

Really nice stuff.

Also, look for something like a used RG550 or a used prestige if Mensinger don't take your fancy.
Last edited by Fisheth24 at Oct 24, 2016,
nastytroll
Quote by nastytroll

The more expensive Ibanez guitars are made in their Fujigen factory in Japan - their Original Edge, Lo-Pro Edge and Edge Zero are amongst the best Floyd variants on the market, easily matching or even surpassing the original or Schaller-licensed units..

Used Ibanez RG 550 gets my vote, anything from the late 80's or 90's would do the job and you should be able to pick one up for around your budget - Ibanez didn't start slapping the Prestige label on the Japanese guitars until the late 90's, possibly even later so you can sometimes pick up the older ones for a good price because they're "not Prestige". Just make sure the serial number begins with an "F" which indicates it was manufactured at the Fujigen factory. Personally I prefer the Lo-Pro Edge but there's nowt wrong with the original, it still gets used on re-issues.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yes you can certainly buy a great instrument in that price range.
If you plan on sticking with Ibanez for their thin/fast necks,
you might even be able to find an RG for a bit less.

An S series is much nicer in my opinion and definitely falls into that price bracket.
Either one will allow you play hard rock to the fullest & have enough versatility to play anything else if you so choose to.

As far as the Floyd goes, it looks like your Gio has a strat style tremolo which is a bit different from a locking tremolo you'll find on an RG/S.
You'll find a locking trem to be more stable & allow a greater range of motion,
however it will require some adjustments here & there.

It can be a pain at first when it comes to changing strings too,
but in reality you get used to it or learn to be more efficient. (you know, kind of how you learned to play guitar!)

I recommend you go out to a local store & check out a locking trem system and see how you like it.
It really is preference, but also check out various other guitar brands to really pinpoint what feels best for you.

A couple notable brands for hard rock also include: ESP LTD, Schecter, Dean, Jackson, just to name a few.

Also here's a few tips that you might find useful when checking out your next instrument:
https://ironageaccessories.com/blogs/guitar-tips-lessons/new-guitar-buying-tips
It will show you what things to look out for to make sure the guitar is in top shape.
I would buy a used Prestige series over a 5XX Series at the moment. The 550/560/570 was a good value about 5 years ago when no one gave a shit about them, but they've gone up in price significantly since they're now "Vintage" and they're "Being referenced by the year they were built" and all of the fucking hype. A Prestige is gonna be a better built guitar and a used one will run you a bit cheaper if you're gonna go that route.

An S Series is a wonderful second choice, the ones with the ZR Trem are magnificent, and more importantly, THEY'RE STILL CHEAP. You can grab one for under 300 GBP these days.

Jackson DK2 of all variants in the last 5 years are absolutely phenomenal and you can snag them for 4-500 GBP even off evilBay.
Gear:
1987 Charvel Model II
2010 Carvin ST300C
1990 Charvette 100
1991 Ibanez RG560M
2006 Fender Mexi Strat
Jackson/Charvel Star W/ Custom Graphics.
Ovation CP 247 Acoustic
Line 6 POD HD Pro X
Pro Tools 9

Tutorial: Studio Quality Programmed Drum Sounds
I bought my Ibanez S470 for € 550 about 9 years ago and I can honestly say it is still the best guitar that I've ever played.
The body is nice and slim and so is the neck (plus, the inlays are beautiful).
The ZR-Tremolo it has (a floating trem) is superb.

I don't know if the S470 is still produced - probably they have a newer model by now.

In conclusion, all I can say is: try out an Ibanez S-Series if your local guitar shop has one and let it speak for itself.
Quote by Alix_D
Never heard of Seinfeld, what kind of music do they play? Assuming they use Kramers, it must be heavy!

SAVE GIBSON

Quote by nastytroll
I... Meaning the Ibanez and the Jackson, Dean or whatever can be made by the same company and assembled by the same 14 year old Chinese girl, Think that logo means a flying rats ass to her? No, she doesn't even play guitar, So lets use this as an example, So Monday she's assembling Ibanez's, and putting a Ibanez logo on the headstock. Tuesday she's assembling a nearly exact same guitar except putting an Agile logo on it,,,,l

Thanks everyone for having the time to answer..
Just a few things to clarify...I don't care who makes it if it is great quality, fast neck, and stable Floyd Rose (or similar).
Second hand guitars can have wear down frets so I will avoid second hand.
Quote by branimir19751
Thanks everyone for having the time to answer..
Just a few things to clarify...I don't care who makes it if it is great quality, fast neck, and stable Floyd Rose (or similar).
Second hand guitars can have wear down frets so I will avoid second hand.
Or you could try them out first. Music shops, pawn shops and even private sellers - if they're local - are generally happy to let you try before any money changes hands.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'