I hope I'm posting in the write place here. I don't use this forum as frequently as I could, so if I'm mistaken...somebody please redirect me!

I'm trying to find out the name of this chord and I can't find it anywhere! Thanks a bunch!

e---5
B---8
G---6
D---7
A---5
E---5
You might call it A11.

Is this from a song? A chord doesn't exist in a vacuum, and will have a different name and function depending on its context.
It's a bit weird chord. The three lowest notes would suggest some kind of a D chord in the second inversion, but the rest of the notes clearly sound like an A7. Maybe it would make more sense in context?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by copperwreck
Could also Dmaj7sus4?

+1, it seems like a Dmaj7 but with sus 4 instead of major 3
Well, Dmaj7sus4 would technically be a correct name, but if you wanted to treat it as a D chord, I wouldn't see it as a standalone chord. I would just see it as a D chord with a 7-8 and 4-3 suspension. Or at least that's how it would typically behave. It depends on what chord is played before and after it.

Then again, it has A in the bass so it's a bit weird. BTW, are there other instruments playing at the same time? What is the bass playing?

A11 would make more sense if the D was played higher.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah we need context on this one. But It's most likely not a D chord.

Maj7sus4 chords aren't often a thing we encounter, they more often appear as "add 11" chords if at all. The difference being the add11 contains both chord tones 3 and 4.

A11 makes more sense, but it's still a troublesome voicing, we also usually see Dom11 chords ever, they're normally expressed as 7sus4 or 9sus4 (or again "add11", albeit rarely).

Those are the only two options that make sense though, and it's probably the latter, on the grounds that if a voicing like this is showing up, whoever is playing guitar probably isn't dealing in chord inversions. A is the more likely root either way.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
^Even better.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp