Hello all! So, yesterday (10/23/16) I had the pleasure of playing a used Mesa Mark IV, which was my first chance to play an amp with a "used" (and not fully functional) value of over $1,000, and I was blown away with the rhythm 2 channel (the only one that it would let me select in the little bit of time I had it, not that I would want to change it). I've placed Marshall DSL's, and Vox AC's, but this specific channel blew me away. Again, though, this was the only amp of that value or higher I've ever gotten to play; what are some of the other amps out there that sound amazing for pushed cleans and crunch? Thanks.
Every Mesa amp, Marshall JVM 800, Orange, Traynor, Fender Bassman, and on and on. All quality amps will give you different versions of "pushed cleans and crunch". You are going to have to be a lot more specific if you wish to narrow the field some.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
where are you located?
What is your budget?
volume constraints?
used ok?
target tones?

I must say that i love oranges terror series. I have a dual terror, and it doesn't have pristine cleans, but a nice light breakup, and a lot of gain as well. it is the big brother of the tiny terror which is only one channel and 15w. stick a pedal out front for heavier stuff and it is golden.

i think a tiny terror would suit you well.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Any dual channel Mesa should do what you want, many dual channel Peaveys will too. I've played a bunch of Peavey tube amps that were great. Own two myself. Most Fenders will do the trick too, but if you get a straight tube amp, no master volume, you have to crank the volume to get it to break up a little. It gets loud...even my 15 watt Pro Jr gets really freakin loud if I crank it to 7 to get the "crunch" sound you're talking about. I could (and have) use it for small club gigs. Most Fender tube amps like my Super Reverb start to break up a little with the volume around 5 or so, about 7 and it gets to the kind of rock sound a lot of 70's players liked.

Same for almost any straight tube amp with no master volume. Master volume amps will do that at any volume, you just crank the Pre volume and keep the Master volume low, or at the volume level you want.

I also played a Mesa Subway rocket once, nice little 20 watt tube amp, good for clean or crunchy. any of the two channel amps no matter what the brand name will do the trick, Peavey, Mesa, Vox, Marshall, Traynor, Randall, Fender, Orange, and several others. Go check around at music stores and pawn sops if you're into used, and play a few. Get what you like.

I'm not too picky about the brand name, I've found almost any tube amp I plug into will give me a good sound. I've played other guys' amps at open mic gigs and sounded pretty much like me with little or no tweaking. I just bring my volume pedal and an extra cable. If it's a tube amp, I can get along with it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
The location is presently Huntsville, Al. It's hard to be more specific about the tonal qualities that made it so special, as I have multiple tones of that style that I enjoy, but my typical favorite tonal qualities are brightness, chiminess, note definition, and the ability to go from clean to pushed to slight crunch with the volume control. Playing that Mesa, after messing around for a little bit I found a tone that I just really connected with. I'd definitely agree with the "If it's a tube amp, I can get along with it" statement, but this is the first time I have gotten that awe moment from my own tone with an amp, so I'm not really certain how to describe it. I am definitely looking to try an Orange besides the Micro Terror/Dark. And my budget isn't really my primary concern right now, I'm not expecting this to be my career, but either way I'm willing to be patient and save. Other than that, my constraints are that I would like to be able to play without annoying anyone (too much) at home and at a studio, I would prefer a 1x12 combo or a 1x12 cab and small, light head because that makes my job of moving my amp, pedalboard, and guitar around so much easier since it's just me. I'm perfectly fine with used, even if there isn't full functionality, as long as I get "that tone" (which is why if I could have afforded that Mesa I would have walked out with it regardless of not switching channels). I don't really have any bands or anything I can immediately compare it to, I'm just going with the sound I think of when I try to write music.
Last edited by Guitariano24 at Oct 24, 2016,
Yeah, I remember I looked up the Chieftain a while ago, and it was really impressive (certainly no Blackstar HT-5, my present amp). I've thought long and hard about Matchless amps, and they're definitely still a consideration, I just would like the chance to actually play them in person before I buy them (I like to be that way with all amplifiers). Is there a place where someone could go and demo one? If so, I'd love to go.
Quote by Guitariano24
Yeah, I remember I looked up the Chieftain a while ago, and it was really impressive (certainly no Blackstar HT-5, my present amp). I've thought long and hard about Matchless amps, and they're definitely still a consideration, I just would like the chance to actually play them in person before I buy them (I like to be that way with all amplifiers). Is there a place where someone could go and demo one? If so, I'd love to go.

I'm sure their website has a dealers list which would be a good place to start. unfortunately they aren't the type of amp that you will find at say Guitar Center or similar. I'm also a big fan of try before you buy but that does limit you to what is available locally. I have a couple of good shops here but none that carry Chieften, Matchless or most of the other high end boutique amps. occasionally one turns up used so I try those when the opportunity arises.
I found the Chieftain at GC Central Houston actually, when I went 2nd time to test for serious purchase it was sold. Never saw another one there

I know Aystin, Texas has one or two stores that carry them.

http://matchlessamplifiers.com/dealers/