For 2 years I've played 10s on a Schecter Damien Special (25.5" scale length) in standard tuning, and some alternate tunings. The lowest I've typically go is drop C, but at that point with the strings I use it get's kind of "flubby."

For those interested, here's the strings: http://bit.ly/2em72QP

I've been getting into some different types of metal. I want a seven string but don't have the money right now so for now I want to just use my Schecter. Anyway what is a good string set for a Drop A-Drop C type range. (I want the strings to play similarly to how my 10s play in standard tuning.)
all you're going to get out of this is a list of strings other players use. won't really help you. just try a few different kinds and see what you like best. if you down tune then at some point you have to go to higher gauge strings or they do get flubby.
Quote by synthflynmachin
monwobobbo do you have any suggestions because i don't know where to start

start with trying a few different brands that are available locally and see what you like. no need to go nuts with it price wise. I've tried a few different kinds over the years but personally prefer D'Addario. honestly you won't be able to get strings that work for both E standard and Drop -A to far apart. you'll need 12 gauge strings or better if you want to really tune down that low and retain (more or less) the feel you mentioned. most guys get a 2nd guitar that they can have setup for lower tunings.
monwobobbo Yeah, I have another guitar, but I figured I'd use that one for standard tuning, and set up this one for drop tunings.
Quote by synthflynmachin
Anyway what is a good string set for a Drop A-Drop C type range. (I want the strings to play similarly to how my 10s play in standard tuning.)

I don't think you will find one gauge that will do both of those tunings equally well. It's pretty much an impossible task.
Drop A/C, I would say try 11's. Maybe with a hybrid set with heavy bottoms on the E, A, and D. For Drop A you may want 12's. It is preference. Either way, at that degree of tuning interval, I would try not to jump around tunings much, especially not going from standard down and back up again.
Thanks for all the help! I ended up purchasing some D'Addario 12s, and also a set of GHS Boomers Gauge 13 for the heck of it lol. I figure I'll like the 12s more, but I bought the 13s for fun
Definitely 011-056 for drop C tuning. But as someone else said earlier, I think changing tunings frequently is not good for your guitar.
Quote by Sakuboi
Definitely 011-056 for drop C tuning. But as someone else said earlier, I think changing tunings frequently is not good for your guitar.
Fine for the guitar, bad for the strings, and thus your wallet.

stringtensionpro.com is a handy site that'll tell you the tension of a given gauge on a given scale length tuned to a given pitch, which I have found very useful in the past trying to maintain the same kind of feel between tunings and scale lengths.
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Oct 29, 2016,
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Fine for the guitar, bad for the strings, and thus your wallet.

stringtensionpro.com is a handy site that'll tell you the tension of a given gauge on a given scale length tuned to a given pitch, which I have found very useful in the past trying to maintain the same kind of feel between tunings and scale lengths.

Changing tunes frequently damages guitar neck.
Quote by Sakuboi
Changing tunes frequently damages guitar neck.
It doesn't, I promise. Guitar necks can deal with much more than that without needing more than minor truss rod adjustment.
Quote by synthflynmachin
monwobobbo do you have any suggestions because i don't know where to start

as a very rough ryle of thumb, go up one gauge per semitone you tune down. E.g. if you use 9s when tuned to E, use 10s when tuned to Eb. It's not exactly equivalent, but as a rough rule of thumb it should get you into the ballpark in terms of the tension.

Quote by luke.g.henderso
I don't think you will find one gauge that will do both of those tunings equally well. It's pretty much an impossible task.

yeah that's the problem.

EDIT: ah i see you've already bought strings. i should've read further down i guess.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Okay looking back at this wayyy late, but I use 13s for A-D-A-D-F#-B tuning (some tuning I need for a little project I'm doing), and it works wonderfully!