We know that big-name guitarists have big collections, but sometimes they just become so associated with one or two types of guitar, that you don't really think of them using anything else; like Slash wielding a BC Rich always looks slightly odd no matter how many times you see it.

Recently, I found out that Billy Gibbons played a Strat on "La Grange", and Eddie Van Halen played a Flying V on "Hot For Teacher"; does anyone know of any other iconic songs where the guitarists didn't use the guitar you'd expect?
While known as a Strat guy, Jimi Hendrix had a few songs he preferred to play in a V. Don't quote me, but I think "Red House" was one of them.

Last time I saw Aerosmith live, Tom Hamilton broke out a Visionary Instruments bass for a while.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Bonamassa typically a LP guy has played a strat on a couple recordings/albums.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
I've also noticed him playing LPs with P90s in concerts a bit more of late. He's been vocal in the past that he's not a fan of those pickups. Maybe his tech found a sweet set?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
While known as a Strat guy, Jimi Hendrix had a few songs he preferred to play in a V. Don't quote me, but I think "Red House" was one of them.

Last time I saw Aerosmith live, Tom Hamilton broke out a Visionary Instruments bass for a while.

Red House was recorded with a V. Jimi did use an SG Custom on a couple of things and played it live n late 68-early 69. some of the tracks that ended up on First Rays Of The New Rising Sun were also recorded with a V (Dolly Dagger for sure). Jimi also used Noel Reddings Tele for a couple of things on the first album. the song South Saturn Delta featured a LP Special (or whatever a 2 pickup jr was called) with P-90s.

EVH used an Ibanez Destroyer on a fair bit of the 1st album (You Really Got Me for instance) Jimmy Page used a Strat on In The Evening

a lot of guitar players will use different guitars for a specific sound on a song and maybe live to duplicate the sound. not really that shocking.
Not about association here, but more about preference, but I much prefer the SG and 335 era Clapton tones to his Strat tones.

Talking about Strats, seeing John Mayer with something else is also always weird.
Also, IIRC the solo to stairway was recorded on a tele. Granted this game could get out of hand when thinking of studio versus live. I know Mastodon have used strats in the studio.
Gibson DC standard, PRS S2 Mira, Fender MIA strat, HWY1 tele, Reverend Manta Ray 290, Charvel Pro mod, ESP LTD EC1000 and Viper 400
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100, EVH 5153, Peavey Classic 30 2-2x12's
Misc. Pedals
Quote by monwobobbo

a lot of guitar players will use different guitars for a specific sound on a song and maybe live to duplicate the sound. not really that shocking.

I think the other way around happens often as well (and I've done it), where you can play a part in the studio on a certain guitar and never play it live with that kind of guitar.
As someone has remarked, Jimmy Page swears to this day that he recorded the electric parts of Stairway to Heaven on a Telecaster, rather than his go-to 1950s Les Paul Standards. Jimi Hendrix was quite fond of his black Gibson Flying V - so much so that he painted a design on it himself. And Ted Nugent was playing zebra-striped and tiger-striped PRS solidbodies with Damn Yankees instead of his signature instrument; the Gibson Byrdland semi-hollow guitar. Everybody needs a little variety in their lives now and then.

"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Quote by monwobobbo

I think there's a difference between guitarists who use a variety of guitars in the studio, and guitarists who are massively associated with one style of guitar who then use something noticeably different for a famous song.

Page used to play Teles a lot in his earlier days I think, in the Yardbirds and the first few Zep albums. It looks very weird.

Ted Nugent with a PRS looks strange too, thanks for sharing :-)
I don't think there's any more of a strong association between guitarist and guitar than Brian May and his home made "Red Special" guitar. So here's a pic of him playing a strat:

and a tele:

And another pic I found of him with a Flying V, just for good measure:

Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
John Mayer is famous for his Strats and his Martins, but he does "Perfectly Lonely" on a Cabronita Tele and usually does a few songs on semi-hollows.
Death to Ovation haters!
Quote by Blompcube
I don't think there's any more of a strong association between guitarist and guitar than Brian May and his home made "Red Special" guitar. So here's a pic of him playing a strat:

and a tele:

And another pic I found of him with a Flying V, just for good measure:

i've seen him play the Tele but wow! He looks weird with a sunburst Strat.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
James Hetfield and the teles he played in the early and mid 90's.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
I think there's a difference between guitarists who use a variety of guitars in the studio, and guitarists who are massively associated with one style of guitar who then use something noticeably different for a famous song.

Page used to play Teles a lot in his earlier days I think, in the Yardbirds and the first few Zep albums. It looks very weird.

Ted Nugent with a PRS looks strange too, thanks for sharing :-)

ummm... I stayed on topic with my answers. live pictures tend to be what you see the most of so sure a guy who usually plays a certain guitar live is what he ends up being associated with. studio is a different beast and often many guitars are used to get a sound for a song.

Page used a Tele in the Yardbirds and on the 1st LZ album and tour for that album. on that first tour he also used Rickenbacker amps which were at least in part solid state. now that's weird to see. Ted Nugent didn't use Byrdlands for a long time after the 70s so while not what he used in his heyday not as weird.
Odd stuff in my eyes....

Hearing Kurt Cobain used an Ibanez Les Paul for some parts of In Utero. Very hard for me to visualize Kurt using a Les Paul, in the studio or outside. Kurt also used a Valeno guitar in the studio IIRC.

An odd one to me was seeing Ric Ocasek using a Dean Caddilac live, turns out he did not even like that guitar that much or so I read somewhere a long time back. He just used it live because it was too twangy/thin in the studio, it seemed to be used live for the stuff he used the Jazzmaster on in the studio, probably because it had humbuckers (Jazzmasters are notorious for picking up 60 cycle hum and noise when gain is applied). He smashed it, had it rebuilt (3 humbuckers and a Japanese Flag paintjob to hide the front damage I presume), and then stopped using it sometime around Shake It Up and started using the Jazzmaster with a distortion pedal live (see "Think It Over" on Friday's 81' for that). It's kind of a trip seeing him use a Tele (MBFG on Old Grey Whistle Test) or B.C. Rich 10-string Bich (The Cars->Panorama tours), I pretty much know of him using SG's, a pink JAzzmaster, and occasional a Red Jaguar to hold down the rhythms. Elliot by contrast seems to be using something different all the time so he never looks weird using anything, even if that anything is weird to exist not to mention exist left-handed. Possibly the oddest picture to my mind is how many guys in that band got pink guitars for the "Shake It Up Tour" - you had Ric's 74' Jazzmaster, 2 of Elliots Strats (one I think is a Super-Real series Greco, the other an actual Fender), Benjamin got a pink P-bass, and the keyboard player Greg got a Telecaster - all in pink.

The way people talk of Edward Van-Halen, it sounds like all he ever used was the Frankenstrat or 5150 depending on who you talk to. EVH used a ton of stuff in the studio and live. The Frankenstrat dominated the first tour, then he used the Snake Guitar, Star with Dano neck, Bumblebee, Les Pauls with neck pickups removed, seems pre "Fair Warning" he was really dabbling with everything he could get his hands on. Even an ES-335 on Diver Down (Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now). Then when he swapped to Kramer he started messing with a Pacer Custom in purple, double necks, at least one with aluminum neck(s) on it, Steinbergers, cross-breeding Kramers and Steinbergers, then he used a stock 50's strat on the OU812 tour for "Finish What Ya' Started".

Variety is the spice of life - hell, I'm not even famous, most of the time I talk about offsets and my Hondo Paul Dean II - those are my favorites, but I have with previous projects used a TON of different stuff, Les Pauls, SG's, Deans, Kramers, various home-built guitars, some werird, Harmony H-804's, HSS strats, Flying V's, Explorers. I own 30 guitars, sometimes I just can't get the sound or get the feel I want to play the way I want in the studio with one of my regulars so I'll strap on something different. I do this for Gig's too - my wife found it odd seeing me playing Floyd Rose equipped guitars for a gig when I use Jaguar/Jazzmaster/Fender Dynamic Vibratos most of the time for the same stuff.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (Stock)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Quote by monwobobbo
ummm... I stayed on topic with my answers.

Well, technically the original topic was

Quote by luke.g.henderso
does anyone know of any other iconic songs where the guitarists didn't use the guitar you'd expect?

But it seemed to get off that pretty quickly.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Well, technically the original topic was

But it seemed to get off that pretty quickly.

original post metnions guitars and what songs they were used on. so You Really Got Me, Red House and In The Evening aren't iconic songs?
Who said they weren't? Angus Young playing a Pelham Blue SG wasn't the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread, nor was Joe B usinb P90s, but still interesting.

There are guitarists who are very strongly connected in people's minds with certain guitars, and although we don't expect them to use the same guitar type for every track on every song, it can still be surprising to picture them recording the bulk of an iconic song with a guitar we don't normally think of them playing.

I'm not really sure what your issue is?
Quote by luke.g.henderso
Who said they weren't? Angus Young playing a Pelham Blue SG wasn't the kind of thing I was looking for when I started the thread, nor was Joe B usinb P90s, but still interesting.

There are guitarists who are very strongly connected in people's minds with certain guitars, and although we don't expect them to use the same guitar type for every track on every song, it can still be surprising to picture them recording the bulk of an iconic song with a guitar we don't normally think of them playing.

no problem. your response if you look at it implies I went off topic. I agree that angus using a different color SG isn't what this is about.
monwobobbo I found your posts very interesting; I wss not certain which, if any, songs Hendrix had used Gibsons on.
Quote by luke.g.henderso
monwobobbo I found your posts very interesting; I wss not certain which, if any, songs Hendrix had used Gibsons on.

die hard Hendrix fan and have done a lot of research. Jimi used Flying Vs and the SG Custom to record with their are pix. exactly which songs they were used on isn't always available but sometimes it had been noted. it's a pretty safe bet that he used a V on the studio tracks for songs he used it for live during The Isle Of Wight concert at least the ones that he had recently recorded (such as Dolly Dagger). as mentioned he definitely used a Gibson to record Red House. Jimi loved to layer guitar parts and didn't mind throwing in a different flavor to achieve the sound he wanted. I know most think he just used a strat but that wasn't the case especially by 1970
A young Schenker with a Les Paul???
Attachments:
shenks.pdf
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Last edited by crackerjack123 at Oct 26, 2016,