I just started the guitar so i was wondering if you guys know any good songs.
I can't do bar chords very well so pls help
Quote by BSML45

Most players won't admit it, but you don't need barre chords. Watch the old blue guitar players on youtube sometime. They NEVER used barre chords (always the thumb wrap). Anyway, take that with a grain of salt, my barres suck so maybe there is some sour grapes in my opine. Still, don't need barres to make good music.

Youtube is a great resource for lessons. Here's a lesson I found for the House of the Rising Sun. It's a very simple tune, 5 chords, filled with a simple repetitive pattern. Good practice, also, for a beginner. The teacher in this video shows the (boring!) strumming pattern, then he gets to the cool fingerstyle work (around 5:40 in the video). For the record, the chords in House of the Rising Sun, in order, are Am, C, F, D, Em

Last edited by TobusRex at Oct 27, 2016,
Quote by TobusRex
Most players won't admit it, but you don't need barre chords. Watch the old blue guitar players on youtube sometime. They NEVER used barre chords (always the thumb wrap). Anyway, take that with a grain of salt, my barres suck so maybe there is some sour grapes in my opine. Still, don't need barres to make good music....[ ]...
Well, if I agree with you and say, "you don't need barre chords", will you listen to me as to how they can be very useful?

The "thumb wrap" can be the very best choice for F at the 1st fret. Why? Because all the open strings are found in the keys of C & G major, which makes them consonant with both keys. How does that help, or make the thumb wrap preferable to the grand barre? Well, because you can lift or move any finger in the chord, without the danger of hitting an out of key note. This basically allows you to play licks while still holding the majority of the chordal notes. However, as soon as you leave the 1st fret, that pretty much goes away, or at the very least, makes you think a bit harder as to what effect lifting any given finger will have. For example, if you're playing G major at the 3rd fret, you're pretty much already holding most of the open string notes anyway.

Now, those, "old blues guys", were using at least, (? guess), medium strings. The drawbacks to using the thumb wrap are, with lighter strings, it's easier to bend strings accidentally, causing you to play out of tune, and, you're more prone to mute the top notes, since you're fingers are laying a bit closer to parallel with the fret board.

Obviously, practice will help you to work around those issues. But, as you get higher on the neck, I think you'll find the thumb wrap forces your elbow into your side a tad sooner than a regulation barre form.

Now, electric "power chords" are really nothing more than abbreviated barre chords anyway. And as the A open shape is difficult to use with the thumb wrap, (at least for me), I believe this make a good case for being "fluent" in being able to find the right form, (barre or wrap) for any given situation. In other words, you really need to know and practice both ways of holding all 6 strings at once. It will make you a better, more confident player.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 30, 2016,
TobusRex

And as an added bonus you get to see Justin playing a Maton Messiah, the lad's got taste.

Captaincranky

IMO, that's a good argument re the choke F and barres elsewhere, and it matches pretty much what I do - using 13-56 strings. Which, considering our discussions in another thread recently, seems like a good place to emphasise the importance of set up. BSML45, if you haven't had the set up on your guitar checked by a tech, I would urge to do so. I think that playabilty/set up is by far the most important thing for an acoustic beginner, way ahead of tone and/or looks.
Thanks guys for the feedback. I'm working on the barres and playing a little higher up the neck. I believe it's easier than I'm making it out to be. I think my picking is getting pretty solid. I've been working on hammerons/liftoffs and incorporating them into my play melodically. Pretty fun. I've found I can turn that blues progression into a really cool, droning/driving pattern, that I think would be the fucking bomb to back up a good lead player

Anyway at the OP: This was the first song I ever learned, about 30 years ago. It's retard easy, a slow waltz beat (3/4 time)...think "One-two-three". It's simple enough I learned this by ear without help from anybody else, but took me about an afternoon (shortly after I learned the cowboy chords). Here's a lesson I found on youtube.

TobusRex Waltz time is very often present in country music. That's because, people actually waltz to it..

Here's Mary-Chapin Carpenter, with a three quarter lament to the loneliness and despair which can happen in a country dive bar...

And here's cute home brew, all acoustic version, of the truly immortal, "Tennessee Waltz":

That song been performed by everyone from Elvis Presley to Kelly Clarkson!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Oct 30, 2016,
@Cranky

Yeah Cap, 3/4 is huge in country. I'm planning on learning "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me Lucille" next, it's in waltz time and sounds super easy.
Quote by BSML45

There are very many songs that only use 3 or 4 chords. If you learn to play the 1st, 4th, 5th and relative minor chords (look up these terms if you are not familiar with them) in the keys of A, C, D and G (easiest keys for the guitar) you will be able to play hundreds of songs quite quickly.

A very good online resource for song chords is:

www.chordie.com/

They have chords for just about every song in existence and show chord fingerings, etc too.

PS. But as playing becomes easier for you I would recommend that you start using barre chords too. I started using them from the outset of learning and found it most rewarding.
Last edited by Garthman at Nov 1, 2016,