I have a 2000 MIM HSS, wanting to hear about different opinions that works wonders with Alder, I have a JB had a Duncan custom, Thinking about a bare knuckle Rebel yell but not sure if its to dark. I enjoy playing punk so I wouldn't mind the "thin" trebly sound. I have vintage 59(think) in there now for single coils but looking to put something different, more output. crunch, thick but not muddy/fat. ANy suggestions? Thanks guys!
'15 Fender Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
'15 Squire Bullet Stratocaster w/ Dimarzio p/u
Marshall DSL40c
i haven't tried it but i thought the rebel yell was meant to be pretty bright?

most humbuckers should work in a strat if you actually like the sound of a fat strat.

i'd have said a JB should work fine if you already have one, especially if by "punk" you mean "pop punk". it's not super-tight on the bass but apart from that it sounds like your description.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Nooo more like white kaps, frenzal rhomb, even though they use sgs lol. I was very descriptive to a T with sales rep of bare knuckle and without hesitation he said rebel yell, he claimed he personally owned a LP with one, now his his mahogany where mine is alder. I heard numerous clips and its a great deep, dark pickup in not sure if id like it. But again IM open to other things, I had a JB not much of a fan of the twang
Marshall DSL40c
I have a JB in my 335 and that thing has big balls under hi gain.

It is possible to overthink PU choices. Are you certain you have a PU problem, not an amp problem? Lets have a look at your amp before diving deeper into PUs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
I have a mesa roadking I, use for shows, a Marshall DSL40 combo which I run through a orange cab. Its funny you mentioned the amps. I did like the fender mustang II even though its a small amp it was a blast to play with! Played one through a evh Wolfgang an it was sweet
Marshall DSL40c
Hmm, ill look into it, i dont want to go down the route with pedals and a crappy amp lol, i have a death by audio apocalypse pedal which is awesome, i never really knew what a difference from a trembucker n a hunbucker is, ill do research on that, about to wrap up my day. I had a dimarzio fast trak 2 in my bridge but sounded awful, idk, i really do love the strat i just dont want it to sit there ya know?
Marshall DSL40c
The Rebel Yell is kind of an 80s voiced HB. It was designed so Steve Stevens could have a sig pickup that helps deliver his tone from his Billy Idol days...and it does so quite well. I'd also check out BKP's HB-sized P90s, like the Supermassive.

Another nice 80s voiced HB is the Tesla VR-Extreme.

You might want to look at the Rio Grande Dirty Harry HB, which is actually 2 of their Dirty Harry singlecoil-sized P90s in a HB housing. It IS and it delivers P90esque tones, split or not.

RailHammer has a nice selection of HBs & HB-sized P90s.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
Sheesh! A DSL40 and a JB cranked up should sound pretty badass. I have no clue what to suggest that you might like.

"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Oct 24, 2016,
Quote by diabolical
Does that mean the Dirty Harry is less noisy?

I dropped Joe Bardens in my Godin, they sound incredible but are bit noisy for my taste.

Well, the pure sc versions will be noisier than the HB version operating in normal (non-split) mode. Not that the sc versions are terribly noisy.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I use a 59/Custom Hybrid that splits in position 4, so you only get 1 coil. It is hum cancelling along with the middle single coil pickup.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Forgot to say, you'd need a special 5 way switch to do the auto-split thing.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by Mincer
I use a 59/Custom Hybrid that splits in position 4, so you only get 1 coil. It is hum cancelling along with the middle single coil pickup.

That pickup really interests me, how would you describe the sound of it in HB mode? Which coil do you use when split, and how does that sound?
Quote by VirgoLife87
Nooo more like white kaps, frenzal rhomb, even though they use sgs lol. I was very descriptive to a T with sales rep of bare knuckle and without hesitation he said rebel yell, he claimed he personally owned a LP with one, now his his mahogany where mine is alder. I heard numerous clips and its a great deep, dark pickup in not sure if id like it. But again IM open to other things, I had a JB not much of a fan of the twang

I've never heard of those bands

The JB is kind of weird- I've heard it in some guitars where it's sounded great, others where it's sounded bad, and everything in-between. If you know it sounds bad in your guitar then obviously avoid it!
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

I had a jb in a epiphone les Paul years ago and it sounded good, I heard it in a esp ltd ec les Paul and it was amazing! Their skate punk bands I guess lol
Marshall DSL40c
Is it just a pearly gates with an alnico V magnet? I could be wrong, but I've heard that might be all it is. Even if you're unable to buy one retail, if that is true, it should just be a matter of swapping the magnet which (from what I hear, I haven't tried it myself) isn't that difficult.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

JB's are great with strats.

i also like dimarzio super distortions in strats.

pearly gates are pretty nice in a strat too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is it just a pearly gates with an alnico V magnet? I could be wrong, but I've heard that might be all it is. Even if you're unable to buy one retail, if that is true, it should just be a matter of swapping the magnet which (from what I hear, I haven't tried it myself) isn't that difficult.

And a few hundred extra turns apparently. Not sure what difference that makes though, I have 0 clue about pickups haha
Quote by luke.g.henderso
That pickup really interests me, how would you describe the sound of it in HB mode? Which coil do you use when split, and how does that sound?

The full HB sound is open, with percussive bass and nice high end, and sort of scooped in the middle. Great for straddling vintage/modern tones. When split, you use the Custom coil, which sounds like a slightly hotter single coil...clear, bell-like. Like the low notes on a piano.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan
Quote by korinaflyingv
And a few hundred extra turns apparently. Not sure what difference that makes though, I have 0 clue about pickups haha

Oh ok, then yeah if it's some more turns then it's not just a case of changing the magnet.

I dunno much about pickups either, but everything else being equal more turns should equal a bit more output I think. So a bit hotter, in other words.
Quote by crownegamers

Quote by dspellman

Quote by Mincer
The full HB sound is open, with percussive bass and nice high end, and sort of scooped in the middle. Great for straddling vintage/modern tones. When split, you use the Custom coil, which sounds like a slightly hotter single coil...clear, bell-like. Like the low notes on a piano.

Thanks, that pickup has definitely caught my attention.
How about taking a Gibson 490T and throwing it in the bridge? Will I have alignment issues? I like the 490 because of the slight "trebly" sound.
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
How about taking a Gibson 490T and throwing it in the bridge? Will I have alignment issues? I like the 490 because of the slight "trebly" sound.

go for it! i have a 490t in one of my showmasters (lol) its nice, but a bit dark. keep in mind though that a showmaster is an entirely different guitar, its like the fender superstrat.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Yea I was afraid of that with the different woods. Thanks for the heads up though!
Marshall DSL40c
I'm worried about the alignment problems though, did u have an issues?
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
I'm worried about the alignment problems though, did u have an issues?

the best thing to do is measure the pole pieces.

I don't know if my Showmaster is f spaced.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

So what is it that Alder has a tone effect? I know mahogany is a warm thick sound where basswood is more of a thin more trebly sound I guess. WHat is it that Alder offers to tone?
Marshall DSL40c
Quote by VirgoLife87
So what is it that Alder has a tone effect? I know mahogany is a warm thick sound where basswood is more of a thin more trebly sound I guess. WHat is it that Alder offers to tone?

don't fuss much with tone wood. it can make a difference, but nothing more than a little tweak on anything in your rig can correct. YMMV.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Sorry to be bouncing ideas around lol, so after research I've decided I may try either a Duncan Custom or go with the jb. I had a jb before in a les Paul but it sounded horribly dark. So I'm leaning toward the custom. To answer what tone in looking to get out of this particular guitar its more of a old school millencolin tone. From Eriks side of the band. I feel either Duncan or the jb can get me there, I just hate the twang in the jb lol
Marshall DSL40c
VirgoLife87 suhr pickups are some of the best out there -they sell an HSS set. They are top of the line. Check out the Pete Thorn ones as well .
The JB has a midrange 'honk' to it, that works well for hard rock, or a pushed Marshal-style amp. The Custom doesn't have that honk..it is like a more powerful PAF. Scooped, but not severely, in the mids.
Dave @ Seymour Duncan