Hey guys,
just wanted to share my perspective
and perhaps give some insight into landing a coveted sponsorship
for you or your band.

First of all what is a sponsorship?

It's a bit more than simply receiving free stuff,
but is actually a relationship that benefits BOTH parties.

Obtaining one of course has its perks. From discounted/free gear,
to personalized service, & more importantly, it helps to build your credibility as a musician.
Once you've got one, it's easier to get another!

What it's NOT:
It's not a giveaway or an entitlement based on your ability to strum the strings.

It's all about building a mutual relationship with the company of your choosing,
which has never been so easy with all the social media available.

Okay, so how do you get your foot in the door?

First thing is first, you must adapt your mindset from "Me/Taking" to "Them/Giving".
What I mean by that is,
instead of asking what's in it for me,
ask yourself 'What can I do to benefit them".

It's by providing VALUE upfront that you'll be able to stand out from the crowds of prospects just looking for a handout.

So what constitutes value?
There's a few things you can do for yourself to make your music act or "Brand" more appealing to negotiating a deal.
First one is of course the number of fans you have, or in other words, how much influence you have.
Having a ton of fans looks good, but more importantly is having a loyal fanbase that actively engages with you.

Secondly, composing great music & being skilled as a musician is a more obvious one.
However being the next guitar virtuoso is not necessarily a requirement.
Just seek to improve your music "brand" every day, in any way you can.
People take notice when you put in effort.

So those are the basics. Here's a few

Alternative ways

you can provide value is by possessing a skillset
such as sound recording, photography, or writing to name a few.

These skills can be used to create marketing material that the company can use.
Brands nowadays are always looking for user-generated content.
With that is mind, submitting a well-made promo of you and their product,
could also land you some free publicity when they re-post it or share on their social media handles.

Same thing with photography,
take some outstanding shots featuring you and their gear & you're almost certain to get their attention.

One final option if you're own a blog,
is to put your writing skills to use & create a post that features
your experience with the company you would like to partner with.

Last words

Now that you have an idea of what can be brought to the bargaining table to land your endorsement,
all it takes it to slowly begin to create the relationship with the company you choose.
Start by simply commenting on their posts, asking questions, & getting to know the person on the other side of the screen.

As you get to know them better you can then offer to do any of the above & mention the possibility of a sponsorship with due time.
I hope that give you a better idea of what it takes to land your endorsement.

Below are a few Do's & Don'ts to summarize things a bit.
You can find the full length article by clicking through to the source.

Music Sponsorship - Do's & Don'ts
Source: Iron Age Guitar Blog

Do:
Treat yourself as a business, you are your own brand. (very important)
Build a relationship with the company beforehand
Work on increasing your fan-base, booking consistent gigs, and creating great records.
Provide value up front as if you're already associated with the brand.
Have a press kit or a dedicated website prepared, you might need one to consolidate all your details.

Dont's:
Ask for free stuff or have a "what's in it for me attitude", give & you will surely receive in return.
Get unmotivated if you're rejected, It can take 3-6 weeks to get your application reviewed.
Re-submit your application a dozen times hoping to increase your odds.
The bottom line is that a music endorsement is a partnership, & built on a strong relationship.
Carry yourself as if you were already endorsed by the company & make yourself a valuable asset to the company.

This will make the progression much more natural & your odds of being officially sponsored will be much much higher when it comes time to submit your application.
Thank you for reading, I hope you found this information & perspective useful.

If you have any questions or comments, please comment below.
Suggestions & personal accounts to help out endorsement seekers are welcome & encouraged!