I am in the market for a new pair of headphones in the $20 - $50 range that sound good when plugged in to an amplifier's headphone jack. Large on ear/over ear style is preferred. Looking for a deal online is a bit overwhelming so I thought I'd take a break and ask the guitar community for some help.
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2006 Epiphone Sheraton II
2009 Hagstrom Swede Gold Top
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
I'd say in general Sennheiser is great in that price range. What are you thinking of when you say suited for plugging into a guitar amp? Should it be as flat as possible, or do you want something else EQ-wise?

Most headphones in that range sound hyped in the low-end and high-end anyway and have muddy mids, so if you're looking for as flat as possible, I don't know what to recommend really.
What amp are we taking about here?

Most amp headphone jacks suck and you get better results with crappy earbuds that cut out all of the highs and lows that nice headphones send through because the headphone out feature is sub par.

I use Audio Technica ATH-M50X with ReValver and that sounds great.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Quote by jamesmickanen
I am in the market for a new pair of headphones in the $20 - $50 range that sound good when plugged in to an amplifier's headphone jack. Large on ear/over ear style is preferred. Looking for a deal online is a bit overwhelming so I thought I'd take a break and ask the guitar community for some help.
With a budget of less than $50, you are not going to get solid quality. Also using an amp's headphone out jack tells me you are using some sort of modeling amp, which often have notoriously bad headphone line outs anyway. So methinks you should not worry about it too much. Use some cheap headphones from Wal-Mart or the dollar store (rated at least 20 ohms is safe) and you will be fine. If you want some studio headphones of reasonable quality compared to the price, I suggest AKG K240 Studio. Around $69 USD.
Thanks for the input. I am playing through a Fender Mustang I modeling amp. With a wife and a house full of kids I can't always rock out like the good ol days. So I'm looking for a good set of headphones with some EQ and not flatI. Something "crunch" oriented. I had Koss way back when and thought they were good compared to their ordinary counterparts. I remember them having some good low end. I've been looking at Sony, Sennheiser, and Audio Technica.
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty 3
2006 Epiphone Sheraton II
2009 Hagstrom Swede Gold Top
2011 Gretsch G5120 Electromatic
Get a pair of skullcandy in that range, if you are just looking for something that sounds good, that's the ticket. Heavy bass, which sounds good on modelling amps. I use headphones like that on my Mustang. Just don't make the mistake of dialing in patches with your headphones thinking they will translate when you unplug them to play out loud.
Quote by Marko5150
Get a pair of skullcandy in that range

Do not do this.

As others have said you aren't going to get anything good in that price range. The difference in quality at that level between Sony, Sennheiser and Audio Technica is going to be negligible anyway.

If you can stretch your budget to $60 I would get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M30x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUQW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1477571515&sr=8-2&keywords=audio+technica+athm30
Quote by Marko5150
Avoid Skullcandy like the plague in any price range,

fixed.
Quote by Axelfox
Please understand how little we as a community care
He is not looking for "professional monitoring headphones", he is looking for something that sounds good.
Quote by Marko5150
He is not looking for "professional monitoring headphones", he is looking for something that sounds good.

Good, because you can't get professional monitoring headphones for $50 anyway. Whether you can get something that sounds good or not is debatable. Some people are perfectly happy using iPhone earbuds. Some people are happy using Skullcandies. My point was that to my knowledge Skullcandy do not make a better pair of headphones than the ATH-M30s. If they do, they certainly are not in that price range.
I'd image that the Mustang has a decent emulated speaker out via the headphones vs. the old solid state amps (Peavey Transtube, Randall, etc.) of yesteryear. I'd go with flat response headphones for a current modeler.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
Sony, Sennheiser, AKG. All of them have offerings in your price range.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis
Get an amp modeling multifx unit like the Zoom G3, it sounds waaay better, even with $20 headphones. Plus you get more control over more specific fx, pedal control, looper, drum beats and other things that make practice more productive, more fun, and headphones more tolerable.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
A piece of advice I got from one of my tech mates in the local guitar shop was to get lo-fi headphones, as they will more closely resemble a speaker than hi-fi 'phones would. I settled for a set of Ashton HD60 electric drum headphones. They work fine, the only downside is that the have a full-sized jack.