I wrote and performed all of the instrumental parts in this song. Guitar is my main instrument.

Nothing is fake - guitars are all played through tube amps and miked - no simulator software was used. Drums are played live. Bass is DI'd.

Last edited by careerminorleag at Oct 25, 2016,
It's great! A fun piece to listen to. I tend to listen more to Prog stuff these days, but this has this "sweet" sound and appeal to it.

A few points, though: a think the lead guitar is just a tad too high in the mix; I think it could have blended a bit more organically with the rest of the of the instrumentation.

A few of the more shreddy runs stylistically felt less appropriate in this song's context in my opinion.

The drums are OK, but they actually feel like they lack some "live-ness" to them. Drumming-wise I guess you wanted to keep it straight and simple so it won't take too much of the listener's attention, and it's fine, but I feel like their tone could have been better.

I really like the part around 3:30. Nice contrast in sound with the harmonic minor there.
Quote by TLGuitar
It's great! A fun piece to listen to. I tend to listen more to Prog stuff these days, but this has this "sweet" sound and appeal to it.

A few points, though: a think the lead guitar is just a tad too high in the mix; I think it could have blended a bit more organically with the rest of the of the instrumentation.

A few of the more shreddy runs stylistically felt less appropriate in this song's context in my opinion.

The drums are OK, but they actually feel like they lack some "live-ness" to them. Drumming-wise I guess you wanted to keep it straight and simple so it won't take too much of the listener's attention, and it's fine, but I feel like their tone could have been better.

I really like the part around 3:30. Nice contrast in sound with the harmonic minor there.

Thanks, man. I'm not really a drummer. Just trying to support the song the best I can without taking the focus away from the guitar. Good ear on the harmonic minor.
respect on writing and recording all instruments. you've done a great job at composing this from the ground up. There a lot of great lead licks and you have a good lead tone to have them stand out. Mix wise, I think there might be a little too much low end in the rhythm guitars you have going in the right channel. That may be personal preference, but to my hear that side sounds a little bit heavier and it's messing with the balance. Ultimately, I'm sure you want the listeners main focus on the lead lines and not the balance of the channels. The acoustic guitar tone is beautiful right out of the gates. It sounds like you're using LCR panning, at least for the most part, which suits the style. The acoustic guitar ends up being one of a few rhythm elements so you'd only notice it for the first couple of bars, but regardless, I prolly would have experimented with sending the acoustic to a reverb or a short little delay and had that in the right channel to give it even more ambiance, but again, that's just me. Once the other instruments come in it pretty much would be obsolete and then just taking up room in the mix or automated out. I could tell by the very first strum that the electric rhythm guitar tone could have been thinned out a tad. I didn't want to judge it too soon because it was the contrasting element to the acoustic, which has some nice highs in it, but overall, I think that electric tone is just a shade to dark even so. I'm kinda rambling now, but you've done good work here and I wouldn't have been able to sink my teeth in so far if that weren't the case. Thanks for sharing and thanks for reviewing my track as well!