Hello all,

This is my first thread on UGForums, and I need help creating a beefy/clean(by clean I mean punchy) tone with my BOSS HM-2. I play Grindcore in a four piece, and I'm the only guitarist.

So here's what I'm running it through:

Randall RX120RH through Marshall 1960 A cab -----> TC Electronic Sentry Noise gate -----> Boss HM-2 -----> MXR 10 Band EQ ----> Guitar(Ibanez RGIR20FE with EMG actives)

Amp Settings(on clean channel): Level: 10 Treble: 3 Mids: 10 Bass: 10

Hm-2 is maxed out on all pots, and I've already boosted the Bass and Mids with the MXR, yet it still sounds tinny and weak. Any idea on how a band like Magrudergrind gets such a clean and beefy LIVE tone. For reference as to what I mean, here's a link:

Sorry for the novel, but I'd rather be thorough so the problem is clearer to those who are more expierienced! Thanks in advanced! - Tim
I wouldn't say that video sounded good by any means, the guitar sounds like pure garbage.
I'll suggest you take out all effects and start with the amp itself.
Dial in as close as you can high gain tone with similar eq. Then stick the hm-2 in the fx loop and try to augment the tone starting from minimal settings up blending into the already distorted tone. Once you get in as close as you can, bring in the eq as next pedal in fx chain and dial as needed. Then work in your noise gate last in the front or fx loop as needed.

From what I hear you need to dial in extremely dull bassheavy no mids fizzed out tone.
diabolical i don't like the tone either, but i don't agree with 'pure garbage' if taigeldinger likes it he likes it. :shurg: The audio on the video isn't the best either. if Taig saw them live maybe he was talking about what he heard and not this recording.

having said that i agree with diabolical, start from scratch. work it through.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
First off, I wouldn't use the terms "HM-2" and "clean" in the same sentence. But I think I know what you mean -- you need it to still yield a tight-tracking tone that doesn't just create a wall of unorganized distortion.

Here are my experiences running an HM2 through a 6505; not sure if they'll work the same through your amp, but it's worth a try. Are you running every pedal in front of the amp? As in, NOT in the effects loop? For starters, I'd make sure at least your EQ pedal is in the loop. It'll make a much larger impact on your tone sculpting there. But here's what I've found with the HM-2 into a high-gain tube amp. When you place it in front of the amp (not in the effects loop), it'll get that Entombed "Left Hand Path" tone, but that tone is not the tightest tone ever created. I've had the best results running the distortion knob almost at zero, just a hair above zero in fact. Then, blend that with the amp's distortion on a very low setting. You can max the EQ controls on the Hm-2 though; that's where it gets its trademark tone. But at the end of the day, that tone is still not going to be tight enough for super technical playing.

So you can try running it in your effects loop, with your amp's distortion at a pretty normal setting. Still run the HM-2's distortion at zero or very close to it. In this manner, it'll just be adding a little of its trademark chainsaw tone to your normal tone, but I'm assuming your amp is tighter with its inherent distortion than the HM-2 pedal. This is the setup I use if I'm playing more technical death metal with more start/stop palm muting, but still want the HM-2 chainsaw effect to a lesser degree. I think that approach might work better for what you're after.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Ditch the HM-2, or at most use it as a clean boost. Use the LEAD/DIRTY channel of your amp, set the EQ controls flat. Crank the master volume halfway/maxed, turn the gain/preamp volume to the distortion level you want it, then back down the master to reasonable listening volumes. MAYBE use the HM-2 with all EQ settings flat, gain minimal, and volume to boost the input of the amp just a little bit. The EQ pedal should go in the loop.
Quote by Will Lane
Ditch the HM-2, or at most use it as a clean boost. Use the LEAD/DIRTY channel of your amp, set the EQ controls flat. Crank the master volume halfway/maxed, turn the gain/preamp volume to the distortion level you want it, then back down the master to reasonable listening volumes. MAYBE use the HM-2 with all EQ settings flat, gain minimal, and volume to boost the input of the amp just a little bit. The EQ pedal should go in the loop.

HM-2 and its clones are the only devices that can get this tone so he cannot really ditch it if the Swedish Death Metal tone he is after. Also the nasal grind comes from the high knob being cranked on the pedal and the rest of your tone has to be built around that. Its a very special kind of tone he is after and normal "tubescreamer clean boost into dirty amp for good metal tone" recommendations are pretty meaningless in this case.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
HM-2 and its clones are the only devices that can get this tone so he cannot really ditch it if the Swedish Death Metal tone he is after. Also the nasal grind comes from the high knob being cranked on the pedal and the rest of your tone has to be built around that. Its a very special kind of tone he is after and normal "tubescreamer clean boost into dirty amp for good metal tone" recommendations are pretty meaningless in this case.

+1. the HM-2 is its own beast entirely. i don't care for it, but i do have one sitting around here somewhere in case i get bored. there isn't anything (other than clones) really like it out there. it is a niche product it does one thing well. thats it.

i don't think will understands the HM-2 or hasn't experienced one.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***9V BATTERIES ARE FROM HELL!*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by MaaZeus

+100

The HM-2 really is in a league of its own. There are other pedals/amp setups that can be equally heavy, but not in the same way as the HM-2 or clones of it. That circuit has something not present in most heavy tones, a gnarliness that is pretty unmatched.

While I do prefer the tone of a good high-gain tube amp boosted by an OD for most applications, the tone provided by an HM-2 (or clone) is pretty much mandatory for Swedish style death metal and in most cases grindcore like Rotten Sound. The sound is an acquired taste, most definitely. But once you acquire that taste, there is nothing like it. I've been playing with mine a lot lately...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
This is how I used to run it:
Level all the way up, distortion nearly off. Bump it up a bit until until you get that slight bubbly distortion sound and the palm mutes just get a tad muddy.

The two tones controls I kept a little passed noon, around 1 or 2 o'clock.

Here's some clips I recorded long ago for some reference:

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=14277
That's through a Mark IV mic'd

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=11717
This is through an amp sim with a low gain setting.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=11622
Another clip through another amp sim.

http://www.tonefinder.com/index.php?section=id&value=11584
And this is the HM2 acting as an amp by itself, straight into a cab sim. Boosted by a tube screamer model for some bite. I may have had all the controls dimed on this, I don't remember.

These may sound terrible to some people, but it's a specific type of tone some grindier bands go for. I was specifically going for a Trap Them/Entombed type of tone.

Edit:
For tips on running it through your set up, try a medium gain setting. Crank the mids, or at least try to get a thick tone. (Edit2: somehow skimmed passed where you have them on 10) Try the settings I suggested for the HM2, and maybe turn the gain up on your amp if it's not enough. ***Do not use the clean channel, that's a sure fire way to get a thin and tinny sound***

Put your EQ pedal in the loop if it's not. It can take away fizz and add those low mids for that chainsaw growl.

I know a lot of guys use a specific speaker, I think an Eminence Legend, because it's so boxy and mid heavy, it's really helps out on those mids.
Last edited by Ignite at Oct 30, 2016,