Hey all, welcome to another epic amp shootout. Well maybe not epic, but you get the idea.
To start with I have an orange crush 60 watt combo; I've had it since April and its been a good amp to practice with but its sound is just not what I'm looking for.
I have my bass cranked and treble at about 8 o'clock with mids at 3 o'clock and its just not giving me the bass response I want. I know its only a 112 but even with almost no treble it its too bright and jangly. Also the distortion can't give me the heaviness I'm looking for without getting fizzy.
I can compensate by turning the master up and gain down but I lose my ability to play pinch harmonics.

So here we are, and after scouring craigslist over and again I've found someone who's offered to trade for my orange. Namely a Jet City JCA2212c. AKA the Jet City 20 if I'm not mistaken. Being a Soldano design I doubt I'd be disappointed, but at only 20 watts I wonder if it compete with my drummer. I play modern rock/alt metal. Think 10 years, Chevelle, Muse, etc. So that being said, I have a pretty loud drummer and don't want to be pushing the tubes to natural distortion on my clean channel just trying to play over him.

So basically, do you think the trade would be worth it to fit my needs? A 2 channel tube amp capable of doing metal and playing over a drummer? It's almost a 2 hour drive to where he is and none of the "local shops"(still an hour away) carry jet city amps so I have no way of trying it out.

Thanks for all the help and opinions
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
if i am thinking correctly the JCA22/2212RC have two channels but neither is absolutely clean.

20 watts clean over a drummer is probably not what you want.

to be completely honest, i would take a valve king over a jet city for the price. i had the JCA20h and 50h and they were just ok, the 50h was much better, but i felt something lacking.

valvekings aren't the answer to the worlds problems either, but you should be able to get over a drummer clean without much issue. i think you can find them for not much over $200-$250 for the 50 watt combo. the downside is that the speaker is junk, and you want an overdrive out front and ideally an EQ in the loop.

i may be stuck on the VK thing becuase got another VK after not having one for six or seven years, and its actually better than i remember. The only reason i got it though was because i got it really cheap with only intentions of modding. if you are into modding, there is a ton of content and info out there.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Could always try an od out front.
What do you mean by bass response? Too loose? Not enough?
My crush has too much bass! Though I do have the head version.
I find turning the gain down a bit with an sd1 out front, set up for a boost, gets pretty gnarly. I happily play more extreme styles with it.

Also trying to keep the bass while playing over a drummer with 60 watts through one speaker is tough. Even in tube amps, it takes more power to reproduce the low end.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Oct 25, 2016,
Liaztraht i knew you would be in here. lol. whats up?

WildMiles96 you likely won't get the bass response at that volume out of one speaker with the amp turned up. bass frequencies take more power to amplify than higher frequencies. also, solid state amps don't sound good when they clip as tubes do. you can push tube amps harder and get a little more juice for 82Hz because the clipping is more (for lack of a better term) ok.

saying that, i haven't tried the combo. i would take advice from Liaztraht on this regarding the orange, he seems to be a die-hard SS orange fan.

i still say to ditch it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

trashedlostfdup Oh just enjoying my Orange solid state

Though honestly a jet city wouldn't be a bad replacement. As long as it's the 50 watt version. With maybe an oversized 2x12. The twenty won't cut it clean, and when cranked the low end will be weak.

Also I agree with trashed with the valveking suggestion. Plenty of power. And if you're handy with a soldering iron, there are a ton of mods for them.
Last edited by Liaztraht at Oct 25, 2016,
I some how seem to log on when there is an Orange Crush post, I do apologize for that trashedlostfdup. I am doing my best not to push them on people. But in this case, a simple od might help.

No hard feelings?
Quote by Liaztraht
I some how seem to log on when there is an Orange Crush post, I do apologize for that trashedlostfdup. I am doing my best not to push them on people. But in this case, a simple od might help.

No hard feelings?

no apologies, no hard feelings, its all in good fun. lol. overall you seem to be a pretty cool guy.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

I meant that it didn't have enough bass. Of course I'm used to playing a 100 watt b52 through a 212 with g12ts.
I have a gt-500 pedal I can use for OD but I mostly use the pedal as a boost for solos and a different distortion for a certain song. Plus I'd rather not rely on a pedal for my main distortion;I'd like the amp to handle that on its own.
How does the valveking compare to the 6505+?
Any input on the egnator tweakers?
Thanks for all the help so far
Question Everything
Gear
PRS SE 245
Schecter Solo Special
B-52 AT-100
Orange CR60
Fulltone GT-500
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Banshee Talkbox
Last edited by WildMiles96 at Oct 26, 2016,
WildMiles96 You have the treble practically rolled off? Try bringing them up a bit and roll the mids down somewhere between 11 and 1 o'clock, then play with the bass.

The valve king doesn't compare at all to a 6505. The VK is more moderate gain and voiced like a marshall, the 6505 is an extreme gain monster. More gain than anyone needs.

The tweakers are cool little amps. Haven't heard a bad one yet. Lots of things for you to tweak on them
Quote by WildMiles96
I meant that it didn't have enough bass. Of course I'm used to playing a 100 watt b52 through a 212 with g12ts.
I have a gt-500 pedal I can use for OD but I mostly use the pedal as a boost for solos and a different distortion for a certain song. Plus I'd rather not rely on a pedal for my main distortion;I'd like the amp to handle that on its own.
How does the valveking compare to the 6505+?
Any input on the egnator tweakers?
Thanks for all the help so far

they are totally different amps. VK is generally a 'classic rock' type thing and the 6505 is more of a 'modern metal' kind of thing. IMO the VK has better cleans, but the 6505 has wayyy more gain.

i didn't like the tweaker i owned. i would have a hard time recommending egnater period. i had a tweaker rebel 30 and a renegade. overall lackluster and they are full of useless gimmicks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by WildMiles96
Hey all, welcome to another epic amp shootout. Well maybe not epic, but you get the idea.
To start with I have an orange crush 60 watt combo; I've had it since April and its been a good amp to practice with but its sound is just not what I'm looking for.
I have my bass cranked and treble at about 8 o'clock with mids at 3 o'clock and its just not giving me the bass response I want. I know its only a 112 but even with almost no treble it its too bright and jangly. Also the distortion can't give me the heaviness I'm looking for without getting fizzy.
I can compensate by turning the master up and gain down but I lose my ability to play pinch harmonics.

So here we are, and after scouring craigslist over and again I've found someone who's offered to trade for my orange. Namely a Jet City JCA2212c. AKA the Jet City 20 if I'm not mistaken. Being a Soldano design I doubt I'd be disappointed, but at only 20 watts I wonder if it compete with my drummer. I play modern rock/alt metal. Think 10 years, Chevelle, Muse, etc. So that being said, I have a pretty loud drummer and don't want to be pushing the tubes to natural distortion on my clean channel just trying to play over him.

So basically, do you think the trade would be worth it to fit my needs? A 2 channel tube amp capable of doing metal and playing over a drummer? It's almost a 2 hour drive to where he is and none of the "local shops"(still an hour away) carry jet city amps so I have no way of trying it out.

Thanks for all the help and opinions

I have the 20W Jet City and it had no problems keeping up with a drummer.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
they are totally different amps. VK is generally a 'classic rock' type thing and the 6505 is more of a 'modern metal' kind of thing. IMO the VK has better cleans, but the 6505 has wayyy more gain.

i didn't like the tweaker i owned. i would have a hard time recommending egnater period. i had a tweaker rebel 30 and a renegade. overall lackluster and they are full of useless gimmicks.

The VK is definitely not as heavy but you can still get plenty heavy with it IMO (mind you, I'm sure you know that since you own a VK):

I'd still prefer a 6505 if metal was my thing though.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
The VK is definitely not as heavy but you can still get plenty heavy with it IMO (mind you, I'm sure you know that since you own a VK):

I'd still prefer a 6505 if metal was my thing though.

you have to do a lot to get a VK that heavy. i did at one point own the same head.

i own a 5150BL now and the VK and for metal the 5150 is unparalleled (for the most part).

but if i wanted classic rock/hard rock, and i was needing good cleans, i would go with the VK. the cleans are pretty good on it, and lets just say that the 5150 leaves something to be desired on the clean channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

Just throwing this out there (I know, I know, I'm always recommending this thing ), but maybe a used (or new, if it's in your budget) 6505+ 112. If you're in the states you can find them on GC's website for $350 used all day long. I'd be surprised if there weren't 20 of them at that price in 'excellent' condition right now...

Anyway, they're 60 watts, and about as big as a 1 X 12 combo ever gets; i.e. -- the cab section is pretty big and actually sounds like it...for a 1 X 12. Anywho, I ran mine for several years as a combo before converting it to a head. I had an Eminence Governor inside to replace the Sheffield; now it's in my 4 X 12 cab with Swamp Thangs. Anyway, even as a combo, that thing could drown out a drummer, especially once I upgraded the speaker to a Gov.

As far as tone goes, the rhythm channel w/ crunch would probably be right up TS's alley. It is actually the more versatile channel of the two; it can go from light crunch all the way to thrash and even death metal with a boost -- all of the gain knob's range is usable on that channel. And you can actually get good cleans if you know what you're doing.

The lead channel is pretty much a monster all the time, no matter how you set the EQ/gain. And that's fun for some people.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood