Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I bought an Ibanez gio grx70 as my first electric guitar less than 2 weeks ago and I was just playing yesterday when the 3rd string broke right where it bends in the bridge going to the saddle. I did some research and I checked the trem to see if there was any sharp edge that could have cut the string but I found nothing.
The string that broke down was the one I used to practice bendings, but playing for 2 hs a day, I may have spent 3 hours max practicing bending.

My doubts now are: maybe bending said string caused it to break? Maybe the stock strings are already old (maybe the guitar had been storaged for long time) and need replacing? Will my other strings break in the near future? Shouldn't strings last longer?

Sorry if my questions are silly or my terminology is not correct, but I've only been playing for almost 2 months and I'm not a native English speaker. Thanks a lot!
Last edited by baruffa123 at Oct 25, 2016,
strings break it's just part of playing guitar. bad picking technique often breaks strings for beginners. strings have no guaranteed life and sometimes they just break. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to string changing so strings can last for months of playing but I've had new sets go on me to.
monwobobbo Oh well. I play a lot with the guitar unplugged from the amp since I play late at night, so I was strumming quite hard to make it sound. I'll try to learn how to properly pick then. Thanks a lot!
If that's the first set of strings that came with the guitar, they could have been sitting around in stores and during shipping for a year or more. Chances are near 100% that those are OLD strings and should have been changed when you bought the guitar.

You might consider getting one of the gizmos that allow you to play through headphones late at night. There are little gizmos like the Korg Pandora PX5D and bigger gizmos like the various modelers. ALL of them will allow you to play as loud as you want (as long as your headphones are plugged in).
Quote by dspellman
If that's the first set of strings that came with the guitar, they could have been sitting around in stores and during shipping for a year or more. Chances are near 100% that those are OLD strings and should have been changed when you bought the guitar.

You might consider getting one of the gizmos that allow you to play through headphones late at night. There are little gizmos like the Korg Pandora PX5D and bigger gizmos like the various modelers. ALL of them will allow you to play as loud as you want (as long as your headphones are plugged in).
Yeah this is true.I've tried new guitars in guitar shops that had crusty blobs and even rust on the strings.
2016 Gibson Les Paul Traditional T in Light Burst
'77 Hardtail Strat
Epiphone Sheraton MIK Duncan '59's
MIJ 84/85 Tele
MIM Std Tele
Fender Blues Jnr
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Sometimes even new strings break if you string them up incorrectly. And we are talking about a low-end Ibanez Gio, which have substandard bridge systems.
pretty much what monwobobbo said. bending (or tremolo use) is more likely to break a string, fwiw.
Quote by crownegamers
I saw in a couple of pictures that on Bucketheads Les Paul (only some pictures) that his neck pickup is painted in white. Can anyone explain to me why he would do this, and if there are any pros and cons.

Quote by dspellman
The guy wears a KFC Bucket and a white mask during performances, and you're interested in the color of his pickup covers?

Quote by monwobobbo
strings break it's just part of playing guitar.

Nuff said.
Quote by Axelfox
my mom and i went to a furry con and on the second day she said she didn't come and pay money to go see dumb shit.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
As a side note, I used to break strings ALL.THE.TIME. when I was starting to play guitar. It was CONSTANT and annoying, but over time I learned that I was too heavy handed and I was "trying to be a rock star." I rarely break guitar strings, but a few times it happened while I was really getting into it and the crowd was awesome.

Lately, I switch out my strings more before I break them. It takes time and patience, and you'll start to learn the best approach that suits you.
Gear List

Gibson Les Paul Standard
ESP M-II
Jackson KingV
Oscar Schmitt OE30

Orange Rockerverb 50
Marshall Mode Four

Gas List
Gibson Firebird
Its the first string you have ever broken? Save it! You can sometimes buy single strings from a good guitar shop to replace it. If the string breaks again in the exact same way you can look at the guitar for problems.
baruffa123 Maybe you were just strumming too hard. It's very unlikely to be Guitar if it were professionally restring before the purchase. I'd recommend using headphones with your amp if that's possible or simply playing quietly. A broken string happens once in a while (rarely for myself because I use heavier gauge strings) but you shouldn't worry too much. Try playing Walk by Pantera. It's an easy song to play and there a tone of 1st fret bends on the low E. You'll build pointer finger callouses very quickly.