Hi, long time no see. I quit playing years ago and sold off my guitars and amps but I still have my Fender Rumble 25 bass amp and my Adrenalinn III box. I used the bass amp for the drums from the ADIII while playing my guitar on my Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack.

Now I have the itch to noodle on a guitar so I bought a Parker PDF30 online. Surprisingly a sweet playing guitar for $200 and really good sounding pups.

I played it thru the ADIII into the bass amp and sounded rather good. That make me wonder if the bass amp can serve as a flat response amp that the amp modeling from the ADIII were evident.

You guys ever play your guitars on a bass amp as a norm?
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Roger Linn Adrenalinn III
It has been done, but only a couple of bass amplifiers were ever considered "great" guitar amplifiers. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, some guitarists played through an Ampeg SVT and loved the sound they obtained. As for using it for a truly flat response amplifier? Probably not. You would probably be better off using a keyboard amp, or a straight power amp into an appropriate speaker cabinet. But you should be able to utilize all of your amplifier models in a good guitar amplifier with excellent results.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Keyboard amp? That's something to look into. Thanks.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
If you want to use standalone modeling units, FRFR systems are the way to go. A bass amp will not be FRFR. A keyboard amp will probably be better in that regard, but unless you are putting a lot of money into that bit of kit, you are still not going to get good results- little headroom, bad frequency responses. I do not really "get" keyboard amps if there is a PA system available- there is not extra voicing that needs to happen after the keyboard's output. If you are putting down money for a high-end keyboard amp, just get a solid powered wedge monitor for your modeling units, presuming they have speaker simulation.

The idea of playing guitars through bass amps was what started the Bassman/JTM45 (Marshall) bit of guitar history, right? It is definitely done still to some degree, especially with vintage Bassmans/clones, but if you want a normal guitar > amp tone (no modeling), using a normal guitar amp is probably better for the mix.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 26, 2016,
Thanks for the suggestions. I remember Roger Linn recommending amplified monitors for flat responses but they're not so cheap. I think my Rumble 25 will do fine.

Anyway I found an interesting amp I can use for stand alone jamming. Very interesting indeed. I'll post it once I get it.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Zoom MS-60B and a half decent powered wedge
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Found another amp I'm gonna get. I'm not going to worry about the pedal.
Parker PDF30
Fender Rumble 25 bass
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker

I played it thru the ADIII into the bass amp and sounded rather good. That make me wonder if the bass amp can serve as a flat response amp that the amp modeling from the ADIII were evident.

You won't know if the bass amp is "flat response" unless you actually test it. Best way is to put a known source (sine waves at various frequencies, pink noise, whatever) and allow an RTA (Real Time Analyzer) to tell you if it's flat response or (more likely) full of peaks and valleys. I used a pair of 2x12s, ported and tuned to about 50Hz at the bottom end, and with a pair of piezo tweeters in each box, for a while, and they seemed to cover most of the frequencies I used. But subjected to the RTA test, they were anything BUT flat response (your ears can get used to a lot of things). They sounded okay, and were usable for a lot of things, but flat response? No.